The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-14-2020, 04:45 PM

On my third week of online lessons and all going well, using Zoom. Some challenges, as you say, Gene, with quality e.g. some break up in the sound. A new student of mine who is a complete beginner has a new nylon strung guitar which is still settling in, so checking and sorting out tuning takes a while in his online lessons!

I have a few students who have not opted into online lessons and I'm trying to keep in touch with them and send them some material and practise suggestions .

What is quite humbling is that I have a couple of students working very hard in our NHS - UK health service - who are continuing their lessons (when they are able) and who have been a particular source of encouragement to me, and their music and guitar playing is important to them at this time, even though they have less time and energy to devote to it.

If there are any forum members who take lessons and have moved to online lessons with their teacher recently it would be interesting to hear of their experiences.

Kevin
Old 04-16-2020, 05:13 AM

I think I've had a breakthrough with zoom. I have directional antennas on my cellular broadband modem. Turns out the app that had me point them in a particular direction now advised me to turn them a bit to the right and I'm getting double the speed and one completely normal zoom conference today. Two more for tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 AM

My teacher moved to online lessons a couple of weeks ago. We both have Macs and use Facetime. He emails me a lesson plan before each session.
I’m comfortable with the technology, but this is my first go at guitar instruction by video. It’s working well so far. Audio is ok and we are able to see each other’s hands. My teacher has sent sound and video clips of songs we’re working on and he’s always available for questions. We have been focusing on learning to read music and I’m slowly starting to get it.
I’m stoked to be able to continue learning while providing some income for my teacher. I’m grateful to Will Kiel and all teachers for your passion and innovation during these strange times!
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I think I've had a breakthrough with zoom. I have directional antennas on my cellular broadband modem. Turns out the app that had me point them in a particular direction now advised me to turn them a bit to the right and I'm getting double the speed and one completely normal zoom conference today. Two more for tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Had a long conference yesterday, zoom was super. Had a guitar lesson via facebook video chat which wasn't as good at all. The lesson content was superb but the audio lag was annoying.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I've learned a lot of small but important things so far, mostly that even in this day and age when basic knowledge of technology is essential, some people resist it for various reasons.
Yes, and that's not going to change. Some people will simply want to learn guitar without having to mess around with other technology. Even those of us who are comfortable with technology may not want to deal with all the issues associated with it while we try to concentrate on something else (guitar).

I understand the desire for remote teaching/learning, especially now, but I don't see it ever becoming a replacement for traditional methods. It can be a great supplement, though. And it can work well for certain subjects that don't require hands-on interaction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write