The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 10:47 AM

Default Eastman Bluesmaster

I tried this limited edition model at Merlefest a few days ago.

It's a spruce/sapele parlor. The nut is 1 11/16", which sounded a little narrow for fingerstyle, but felt OK. I played it a bit, but it was hard to tell what it sounded like next to the main stage PA.

Comments on this model? Anybody own one or at least played one in a quiet place?

D.H.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM

I have one. It sounds good, but I don't know if Bluesmaster is the right name. Maybe I have the wrong strings, or just am not that good of a player. But the tone seems more balanced and clean than I would use for blues.

It is still very nice. I didn't get it so much for the name, but because it's a big jump in price from this to their next parlor.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:27 PM

You're talking about this recently released model? https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1p_ltd_cla

I may be biased because I bought one recently, but I think it's an excellent guitar.

The stand-out feature for me is the Adirondack top - I'm yet to play a red spruce topped guitar I don't like. (I know there's a lot more than top material to how a guitar sounds, but it seems to my ears to give something extra that I don't hear with other woods.) It's not a feature you see often at this price point.

I bought it with the factory phosphor bronze strings on it, and I thought it had a really tight and thumpy low-end, slightly boxy mid-range (subtle enough to be charming rather than grating to my ear) and clear almost biting treble. It had a personality that was almost a bit intense but it felt like you were always in control of it as the player. I play mostly alternating bass fingerstyle, folky and alt-country stuff, and for me it was perfect for that - I felt like it wanted to play what I wanted to play.

I feel it softened a bit with breaking in, but I've also switched to Monel strings (Newtones) and I haven't decided yet what I feel about those. The sounds is mellower and there's less boxiness & more balance across the strings, but the bass is a bit looser. It's an almost classical sound to my ear. It's striking to me how sensitive this guitar is to the change in string material, my previous guitar (Eastman E2OM) didn't respond as much to different strings.

The shop where I bought it had 2 of the Bluesmaster parlor in when I bought mine, and the other guitar was noticeably different to me - a bit smoother and jazzier sounding than the one I bought. Still nice though. But if you're looking for a specific sound it's probably worth trying before you buy.

The "Classic" stained finish is probably my least favourite thing about the guitar, though I'm slowly warming to it. It looked a bit plasticky when new, but is settling down a little bit now. That aside I get the impression Eastman have upped their fit-and-finish game, this guitar is super cleanly finished.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-01-2024, 12:49 PM

67goat and OddBod-

Thanks, I was hoping someone on AGF had tried one out. As far as I could tell, the one I tried had a chunky sound that I liked a lot; it would be a nice contrast to my Taylor.

The top finish is a little odd. It's somewhat similar to a Big Muddy mandolin I got lately - somebody thought it looked like "folk art". Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 05-01-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 PM

Just looking at the pic in the link, the top looks like a Martin 00015 Streetmaster, only better. Interesting guitar, would love to try one.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:07 PM

Looks like a cool new guitar from Eastman!

whm
Old 05-02-2024, 02:53 PM

Thanks, all. I've put some feelers out. Elderly can't get this model, waiting to hear from Sweetwater. There are online dealers with it in stock, but Elderly and Sweetwater are my go-tos.

D.H.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:13 PM

Wonder why they went with a 1 11/16" neck? I was interested until I saw that.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Probably because a lot of people like 11/16ths and find it comfortable.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:07 PM

I'd probably like 1 3/4" better, but it felt OK during the brief time I tried it. I just spent several days with our 1 11/16" camping guitar, and switching back to a Taylor wasn't too hard.

But this is one of the reasons I want to try it for a bit longer before I decide on buying one.

D.H.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Me, too. But Eastman's necks do vary guitar-to-guitar. Might get lucky and get a slightly wider one like I did on a different model. I'd love to play one of these though!
Old 05-03-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I tried this limited edition model at Merlefest a few days ago.

It's a spruce/sapele parlor. The nut is 1 11/16", which sounded a little narrow for fingerstyle, but felt OK. I played it a bit, but it was hard to tell what it sounded like next to the main stage PA.

Comments on this model? Anybody own one or at least played one in a quiet place?

D.H.
Fingerpicking is more about the right hand than the left. So, for me string spacing at the bridge comes into play as much if not more than the nut width.

This is now the third guitar I can think of to sport the Blues Master/Bluesmaster moniker. Epiphone started the trend some 30 to 35 years back followed by Gibson.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion