The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-25-2020, 08:27 AM

Default Chopin | Nocturne op. 9 no. 2 (transcr. Tárrega)

Tárrega Friday, part X.
Frédéric Chopin: Nocturne op. 9 no. 2

One of the most iconic pieces of the piano literature transcribed masterfully for guitar by Francisco Tárrega. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHT...&index=11&t=0s
Old 07-25-2020, 09:33 AM

Nicely played.

Off topic, but be aware that, at least in my country, your video won't play in some browsers with ad-blocking software active. That appears to be happening with Youtube channels that have monetized their channel. The video starts with a random ad which the ad-blocker prevents from playing, hence one can't get to the content, just the preceding ad that won't play.

Being constantly bombarded by unsolicited on-line content, I'm just about at the point of ignoring anything that requires me to sit through content I didn't ask for. Yes, that might mean "missing-out" on some meaningful content.

You might consider not monitoring your channel and instead offering that people can offer contributions.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Patrick, thank you for posting your videos here.

This transcription is probably my favorite Tarrega transcription. I’ve played it since I was your age - back in the pre-historic era - and I have also watched several YouTubes of other performances of this transcription, so I am real familiar with this transcription. And I’m happy to say that you played it VERY WELL!! Congratulations on your fine musicianship, and best wishes to you on your career as a guitarist!

The recording audio quality also seems really good, and I really like the reverb, which I am imagining is just the natural reverb of the church.(?)

For several decades now I usually play Malats’ Setenata Espanola after playing this Chopin Nocturne.

Last edited by ceciltguitar; 07-25-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:12 AM

Thank you, Charles!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Thank you, Celiltguitar!

When I recorded in the church I used only the close microphones (DPA4011a) without ambient microphones. So I have added a bit reverb from Altiverb.

Tárrega himself used to play quite often this Nocturne in his concerts and I can imagine Malats (arr. by Tárrega) works very well after the Nocturne. Also tonality wise.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Your use of the Altiverb was very tasteful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
chopin, chopin nocturne, tarrega