The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 PM

Default Nylon Hi A string

Can you tune to A4 on a 25 scale classical guitar. I know you could do it on it steel with that scale but it string will snap after a few hours of playing. Nylon is stretchier I think it will probably last longer.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:51 PM

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...esults.224019/ Interesting. So nylon might be weaker.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:39 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'd think the wound strings on a nylon would give out very quickly if they were tuned significantly higher than they're designed to handle. The monofilament strings will stretch almost infinitely, but not consistently, so you'd get all sorts of weird pitchiness going on. Not ideal. The other things to think about are tension on the neck and bridge and the fact that even the stretchier strings will give out after going up and down a few times. They don't like being tightened and loosened a lot, any more than steel strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical