The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:45 AM
Acoustic Wolf Acoustic Wolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 48
Default PSA: The Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound

Just letting you guys know that Breedlove have updated their history page on their website, and it appears they are now no longer Distinctively Crafted Sound but the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound:

https://breedlovemusic.com/handmande...n-bend/history

Interestingly, their tonewood chart on their website would indicate that Brazilian Rosewood has limited treble response:


Last edited by Acoustic Wolf; 01-21-2020 at 02:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Goodallboy Goodallboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East TN
Posts: 5,429
Default

Now. with this chart in my posesson, I can stop playing all those guitars when I visit a great store. Shopping from home just became easier!
__________________
McCollum Grand Auditorum Euro Spruce/Brazilian
PRS Hollowbody Spruce
PRS SC58
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
91 Les Paul Standard
52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 AM
musicman1951 musicman1951 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,551
Default

Well, if it's on the interwebs it must be true.
__________________
Keith
Martin 000-42 Marquis
Lowden S 50
Taylor Classical
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345
Fender P-Bass
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:15 AM
Mr. Jelly's Avatar
Mr. Jelly Mr. Jelly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sioux City, Iowa
Posts: 4,126
Default

What's a earthy tone sound like?
__________________
Life blooms when existence is it's own reward.

Santa Cruz 1929 00
Waterloo WL-S Deluxe with K & K mini
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:27 AM
Dotneck Dotneck is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Wolf View Post
Just letting you guys know that Breedlove have updated their history page on their website, and it appears they are now no longer Distinctively Crafted Sound but the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound:
No doubt. Tom Bedell has been at this ten years now. I heard he may start guitar lessons soon, too.

__________________
One journey....many paths.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:42 AM
brandall10 brandall10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 218
Default

Englemann isn't really just another spruce but another tonewood entirely in response, couched between redwood and cedar... and braz is darker than EIR... er, okay.
__________________
'18 PW 000-28 Braz
'89 SCGC OM (Braz/German)
'15 Martin OM-28A
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 AM
llew llew is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 9,195
Default

If you follow that chart the "perfect" tonewood guitar is Sitka over Mahogany. No wonder I love a D-18!
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,645
Default

In their defense, they do state it as a goal, not that they are now to be considered as "preeminent authorities".

"Our goal is to optimize the sound of your music by becoming the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound."

The wood chart seems to indicate they aren't there yet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:52 AM
hammer40 hammer40 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Wolf View Post
Just letting you guys know that Breedlove have updated their history page on their website, and it appears they are now no longer Distinctively Crafted Sound but the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound:
Well, they didn't actually say they were the authority...it's their goal.

"Our goal is to optimize the sound of your music by becoming the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound."

Marketing speak...gotta love it!
__________________
Yamaha FG-04-LTD
2011 Guild F-130
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 AM
mcduffnw mcduffnw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
Englemann isn't really just another spruce but another tonewood entirely in response, couched between redwood and cedar... and braz is darker than EIR... er, okay.

It's easier to charge the big money upcharge on Braz when you sell people on the sizzle of "Big Deep Bass Power". Big thunderous bass response is a big selling point for lotsa folks on back and side woods across most all acoustic guitar musical genre's, but especially the two most important to braz upgrade sales...Bluegrass Flatpicking/Old Time Country & Western, and Windham Hill/Narada fingerstyle.

For those two genres...big resonant bass is a huge selling point and coupling that selling point to brazilian rosewood is crucial for upselling braz.

Now Breedlove is not really any type of player in the Bluegrass market, but they were/are pretty big in the fingerstyle world, and brazilian rosewood is a big big money maker for them and any other guitar maker, factory, boutique factory, or luthier that offers it.

And...Tom Bedell is really into marketing.


duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:05 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 12,371
Default

Well sarcasm and aside, and back to objective reality (ya I know no fun )

The article clearly states "Our goal is to optimize the sound of your music by becoming the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound."
Which is a pretty good goal as far as "goals" go IMO .... not sure I would want the goal of my guitar builder to be "I want to have just enough knowledge of acoustic sound , to be mediocre" .....oops sarcasm

And to clarify "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
In point of fact what the chart actually shows is that Brazilian Rosewood has a strong bass response,,,, which virtually every good luthier understands juss sayin'
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud

Last edited by KevWind; 01-21-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:24 AM
mcduffnw mcduffnw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well sarcasm and aside, and back to objective reality (ya I know no fun )

The article clearly states "Our goal is to optimize the sound of your music by becoming the Preeminent Authority on Acoustic Sound."
Which is a pretty good goal as far as "goals" go IMO .... not sure I would want the goal of my guitar builder to be "I want to have just enough knowledge of acoustic sound , to be mediocre" .....oops sarcasm

And to clarify "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
In point of fact what the chart actually shows is that Brazilian Rosewood has a strong bass response,,,, which virtually every good luthier understands juss sayin'

Yes...but back about 10/12 years ago...and further back a bit really...Breedlove had basically that same chart...but...Brazilian was more up towards the middle of the graph, and EIR was back further where brazilian is now positioned, and brazilian was more noted on their earlier charts for mid and treble response than on this current one.

But it's the BOOM that gets the bucks...not the tinkle.

Acoustic realities be ****ed...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:34 AM
jaymarsch jaymarsch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Posts: 6,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Yes...but back about 10/12 years ago...and further back a bit really...Breedlove had basically that same chart...but...Brazilian was more up towards the middle of the graph, and EIR was back further where brazilian is now positioned, and brazilian was more noted on their earlier charts for mid and treble response than on this current one.

But it's the BOOM that gets the bucks...not the tinkle.

Acoustic realities be ****ed...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
And they used to have German Spruce listed as a top wood as well - somehwere there to the right of Sitka.
There are a number of these types of charts available from a variety of makers and they all vary in some degree or another. Unless you can know how it will be braced or who's making it, the information is pretty general. So, I see this chart pretty much only useful as it relates to conversations with Breedlove if you are considering a custom purchase.

Best,
Jayne
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:55 AM
wguitar wguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
And they used to have German Spruce listed as a top wood as well - somehwere there to the right of Sitka.
There are a number of these types of charts available from a variety of makers and they all vary in some degree or another. Unless you can know how it will be braced or who's making it, the information is pretty general. So, I see this chart pretty much only useful as it relates to conversations with Breedlove if you are considering a custom purchase.

Best,
Jayne
Good points Jayne. Any idea where I can view some other similar tonewood charts ? THANKS!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:11 AM
Acoustic Wolf Acoustic Wolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Now Breedlove is not really any type of player in the Bluegrass market, but they were/are pretty big in the fingerstyle world, and brazilian rosewood is a big big money maker for them and any other guitar maker, factory, boutique factory, or luthier that offers it.
When you say big in the fingerstyle world, on what basis? I am not aware of any "preeminent" fingerstylist playing Breedloves, although it may just be because I do not generally follow the fingerstyle crowd. I would say they have their place in the beginner's/entry-level guitar crowd. But I think most fingerstylists who are famous play high end solo luthier guitars. If by fingerstyle world you are referring to in general guitar players who play fingerstyle, again, I don't know how prominent Breedlove is with this crowd, I seem to know fingerstylists who play Martins and Taylors but not so much Breedlove, again, it's possible I just don't hang around those crowds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=