The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:06 PM

Default 14 to 12 fret guitar

This is a 2-fold downsizing scheme I'm pursuing at the moment. I tend to play classical more so than steel string but I have a 14-fret steel string and have decided to go to a 12-fret. That will leave me one of each type for the rest of my air-breathing journey.

I made a quick attempt to research 12-fret acoustic guitars/makers/brands etc., but it turned up mostly distinctive generalities. I've never had a 12-fret steel string guitar, nor have I any knowledge of who makes them or their model numbers.

The factory brands I've come to trust for their quality and consistency are Breedlove, Martin, Guild and Yamaha. I will look at/consider others.

Can anyone suggest 12-fret models?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Taylor makes nice 12 frets. Remarkably, I think the Taylor 12 frets get better bass tone out of their tops, than on 14 fretted ones. I think due to the shift in bracing. Still, they are narrow, so a loud back/side wood like Rosewood or Maple. Spruce top.

Old Martins if you can find one, it probably sounds great.
Bedell makes beautiful 12 frets, and they are a bit easier to find with a 3/4 nut.
Santa Cruz.
Both Bedell and Santa Cruz have Redwood top options, and those sound really sweet.

A couple 12-frets
A couple Jumbos
A couple electrics
A couple basses
Old 01-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

What's your budget?

Assuming you'd like something with at least 1 13/16 nut?

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Washington, DC, you are welcome to come spend some time with mine. I have 3. One is a Santa Cruz 0 size parlor that is all mahogany. Also have a Martin 0018 vs that is a 12 fret slot head. Finally, have a Flammang 12 fret slope dread. I love these guitars. Have often considered trading one of my 2 14 fret guitars for a 12 fret 000 too. Just find they fall right in my comfort zone and they sound great. All have 1 3/4 nut width. Donít think I really remember the string spacing.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Lowden F38, Santa Cruz PJ, Santa Cruz OM, Martin 0018vs, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM

I'd seek out the now discontinued Martin 000-28VS.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Taylor 12 fretters are definitely worth a look!

I have a 522 which is all mahogany. Really nice smaller guitar.

I bought mine with a cutaway. Not that I spend that much time up the neck, but a 12 fret cutaway allows you to hit all the same notes as a typical 14 fret non-cutaway. Seemed like a good way to go and I've enjoyed it.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Martin 000-15S, a Larrivee 00-70, and a custom Halcyon 000. If you're in the area give me a shout and stop and try them.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 PM

Great suggestions, all. I'll take some time to search around my burb (Orlando, FL) and beyond for what's available.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

All depends on budget, and other preferences like body size, nut width and string spacing. See my signature for a variety of 12-frets, but all small bodied (00 or 0). Happy to try to help answer any specific questions.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:37 PM

Definitely look at Martin 000-15SM, or 15 series and up and Taylor 12-frets, starting in the 300 series and up. In my opinion they are the best out there.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I'd seek out the now discontinued Martin 000-28VS.
It really does depend on your budget, but I agree this is a great guitar.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:07 AM

Iím a huge fan of Martinís 12 fret Double O body shape, and in October 2018 I took delivery on my first ever Martin Custom Shop custom order 00-21. Itís a terrific guitar and I used it onstage yesterday at the Anchorage Folk Festival.

I ordered it without the slotted headstock thatís traditional for that model, because I dislike slotted headstocks, and got a nice comfortable neck profile and a 1 3/4Ē nut width on it, too.

I went the custom route because I wanted rosewood back and sides, but Martin already makes a stock model with all the appointments that I wanted other than the rosewood, and thatís the 00-17. Iím not sure of the exact model number, but itís got the ďwhiskey sunsetĒ finish and the sort of 1930ís Dustbowl vibe to it that I like, and the street price on those guitars is about half of what I paid for my custom order.

I checked with my favorite Martin dealer and he checked with Martin, and they were willing to make one for me with rosewood instead of mahogany for the back and sides. But I decided to go ahead and get a custom 00-21 instead.

Anyway, that 12 fret 00-17WS (or whatever its exact model number is) is worth seeking out and trying. I think itís one of the best smaller guitars that Martin makes.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 AM

Find a secondhand Recording King ROS model.
Actually, have a look at the Recording King website: think they still do a 12-fret or two.

The Harley Benton CLP15M is an absolute steal of a bargain mahogany parlour 12-fret. I own one and can vouch for the fact that it is about the best value cheap guitar out there.
Harley Benton CLP15M
www.facebook.com/mattmiltonmusic
Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
This is a 2-fold downsizing scheme I'm pursuing at the moment. I tend to play classical more so than steel string but I have a 14-fret steel string and have decided to go to a 12-fret. That will leave me one of each type for the rest of my air-breathing journey.

I made a quick attempt to research 12-fret acoustic guitars/makers/brands etc., but it turned up mostly distinctive generalities. I've never had a 12-fret steel string guitar, nor have I any knowledge of who makes them or their model numbers.

The factory brands I've come to trust for their quality and consistency are Breedlove, Martin, Guild and Yamaha. I will look at/consider others.

Thanks.
Hi, as a classical guitarist, I'm assuming that you will sit and play in the classical style.

Martin designed guitars initially for classical style playing until 1929/34 when they changed to making designs more suited to rhythm style (thin, long necks)

The have only recently discontinued the earlier "VS" styles such as there 0028VS (short scale) and the 00028VS (slightly larger and standard scale).
both will have a 1 & 7/8" nut width.

Thankfully others such as Santa Cruz, Bourgeois and, particularly Collings, continue their tradition.
Assuming the funding is there I'd seriously urge you to seek out a Collings 002h slightly smaller than the 000 (which I have and love) but no less of an instrument. (same scale difference and nut widths of 1 & 13/16" (as standard).

If you are on a budget I'd also recommend you investigate an Eastman E20-00. Not quite as perfectly made as a Collings (nothing is - including Martin) but I think you may be positively surprised.

This may help :

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post

Thanks.
If you're in Orlando, there's a Breedlove 12 fret at your local Guitar Center

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlo...tric-Guitar.gc

It's a small body plus all mahogany which might mean boxy and mellow sounding, so don't judge all 12 frets by it's tone, but it's a start to how one might feel to play . . .

Like other's mentioned, you really can't go wrong with a Taylor 12 fret, which come in almost all of it's body sizes. As you see in my signature, I'm more partial to Larrivee 12 frets.

Best of luck with your search and keep breathing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion