The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Default Mark on new Martin fretboard

Got a blister like mark on the edge of my fretboard the guitar is new so I don't know what caused this. Anyone had a similar type of mark of there's?

Last edited by JJCguitar; 01-20-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:15 PM

case monster probably got it
Old 01-20-2020, 02:46 PM

A picture would help.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
A picture would help.
Yeah, you beat me to it. There are a few different ways that fretboards can get marked. If you show us a photo it'll be much easier to narrow down the possibilities.

whm
Old 01-20-2020, 05:54 PM

Here a magnified photo
Old 01-20-2020, 06:38 PM

Default Buying a guitar of the wall

So I bought a new Martin of the wall in store the other day and I get home to find a small mark/blister on the edge of the fretboard. What's your options as far exchange as I know i haven't done anything and I must have missed it when looking over the guitar in store. I'm annoyed cause I really like the guitar and paid full price of the wall for it as it sounded amazing but I don't feel like paying full price for something that isn't pristine.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM

Dealers like to move that wall stock. I've found that they might go for a 10% discount for a guitar with dings. If not, ask for something new in the box.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

You could see if the store would refund you some of the purchases price but I think if they have a qualified luthier/tech maybe having them fix it on their dime would be an even better option. Especially as you really like the guitar...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:44 PM

Every store has a policy. You might be able to return the guitar for a full refund within a certain grace period. And if that's the case, you may be able to talk them down on price. This might depend on whether the store feels it will be able to sell the guitar to another buyer quickly. At this stage, there may be no way for the store to be sure the ding wasn't caused by you after purchase....

EDIT: The above was a response to the original post, which was entirely revised.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:45 PM

Well, first of all, I'd likely never accept a Martin unless it was close to 40% off MSRP.
Then I might allow a higher price if it was truly excellent.
Then, if it had something more than minor defect - recall it's a wooden product and can nick fairly easily - I'd hope for that 40% off AND excellent sound.

I purchased my custom shop OM-18 Sinker due to the tone and price. I later noticed a couple very minor nicks in the top. I thought about returning it, but ultimately kept it due to the sound, playability, and price (in that order).

That said, when I brought it up to the Martin rep (it being a Martin Event at my local dealer), they offered a nicer case as recompense. I gladly accepted and now have a great guitar with a top-notch case.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-20-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Every store has a policy. You might be able to return the guitar for a full refund within a certain grace period. And if that's the case, you may be able to talk them down on price. This might depend on whether the store feels it will be able to sell the guitar to another buyer quickly. At this stage, there may be no way for the store to be sure the ding wasn't caused by you after purchase....

EDIT: The above was a response to the original post, which was entirely revised.
This is the problem I know I haven't caused this mark as I havn't played the guitar since bringing it home but they can obviously dispute this.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:00 PM

I'd probably throw myself on the mercy of the court. It depends on the store. Is it a big box store? Or an independent local store? Big difference.

I'd probably go in with the guitar and tell them exactly what happened. I noticed this ding, I really don't think I did this, but unfortunately I didn't notice it at the time of purchase. Can I return it for a full refund? Do you have other guitars of the same model I can play? How much would it cost to fix this dent?

That kind of thing. The local shop's mentality might be to maintain a good relationship with a customer who comes back for years and years. That's how I would do business in that circumstance. The big box store may take a different view, but they are likely to offer a good return policy all the same.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 PM

I'm having trouble figuring out what the jelly fish is doing on the top of the picture and what part is the ding. Need a lot more pixels please.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-21-2020, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out what the jelly fish is doing on the top of the picture and what part is the ding. Need a lot more pixels please.
Yeah that picture is tough to assess. The description of a blister is interesting. Suggests something interacted with a finish, whether heat or another object with a non-compatible finish.

If it wasnt heat then that didn't happen overnight so the sooner you bring it back to them and discuss it the better.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 AM

I think it’s that greyish-looking bump just to the right of the fret end.

I agree that it’s very odd, and can’t think of what might have caused it. The only even slightly plausible plausible explanation that I can think might have caused it was if that edge was momentarily exposed to intense heat - perhaps from a lit cigarette or a gas burner on the stove - but not so closely that it was scorched or left a mark. But with a brief, intense exposure to heat it could conceivably cause the finish to blister at that one spot and no other.

Another, perhaps somewhat more likely possibility is if the neck got touched right there by some vinyl or some other chemical that can cause a chemical reaction. When nitrocellulose lacquer finishes get into direct contact with vinyl or bug dope made of DEET, there can be a hideous bubbling and melting of the finish which permanently disfigures it.

I mean, obviously I’m grasping at straws here, but however unlikely, those two scenarios I cited ARE within the realm of possibility.

As has already been mentioned, getting some higher resolution photos from a number of angles will probably tell us more.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion