The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 AM

Yes, it matters to me to have the one I like best.
What is beginning to matter even more is having too many.
Eastman E10 00 SS Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele

“If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed man.” It’s just me looking for my pick.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It matters to me what guitar I have. It doesn't matter to me what guitar you have. That's the beauty of free-will. You buy what you like/want and I buy what I want and everyone's happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I think it's pretty simple. If it matters to you, it matters. It definitely doesn't matter at ALL to anyone else. But so what? You're the one playing it, so your opinion of whether it matters is the only one that counts...
IMHO, these two responses pretty much sum it up.

~ Paul

Alvarez AP66ESHB
Takamine G330G
Epiphone PR-200
Traveler Escape Mk III

"To say a lot, with a little, takes great artistry."
Old 01-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --
Certainly the music matters more than the instrument. BUT here is something that not a single person in my memory has answered after stating that the guitar doesn't matter.

I spent hours at The Music Emporium playing tons of guitars. Same player, same music. Some of the guitars sounded incredibly different and some inspired me to play better.

And as long as I'm debunking: I payed thousands more for the African Blackwood because of the considerable difference in the sound. They had the same model in rosewood (which I love) - and yes, every guitar sounds different, but this was a significantly different tone.

So to answer your original question: no, I don't care which guitar you play - but I care a great deal which guitar I play.
Taylor Classical
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345
Fender P-Bass
Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --

Depends on your level of play. A crappy player will sound crappy on a good guitar. I am a firm believer in outplaying what you have before you move up.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 01-20-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Depends on your level of play. A crappy player will sound crappy on a good guitar. I am a firm believer in outplaying what you have before you move up.
You're a firm believer in Martin, Gibson and Taylor going bust then because there are not enough guitarists in the world that can outplay a Yahama to keep the "big three" in business.

Quote:
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it .
I can assure you that even at my level (which I can also assure you isn't very high) there is a BIG difference between the sound of a Gibson and the sound of the Epiphone version of the same guitar. Sorry, I know it's nice to believe that you can get the same guitar at 1/16th the price and it's 'the same' or it doesn't matter, but it's not and it does. At least to me. If it doesn't matter to you then great, you can own a hummingbird for £3750 less than I had to pay. But it's pointless telling me it shouldn't matter to me because I can clearly hear the difference and I can afford a Gibson, so why not?

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:31 AM

A good player can make any guitar sound good is true. I also feel that a higher end instrument can inspire.

My Indiana Scout was purchased 2007 on a whim. It still gets played on regular basis. I have even taken it to jams along with the Takamine's.

Do the Taks sound better? I would have say yes, but I bought them for a different reason.

Is the Scout a bad guitar? No, just inexpensive.
2019 Takamine GD93
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-20-2020, 09:47 AM

Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 AM

A guitar that you feel compelled to pick up and play and sounds good while doing so is a good guitar, regardless of the maker.

An expensive, name brand guitar that doesn't compel you to play it is an expensive piece of kindling.

There are more pieces of cheap kindling than expensive pieces, but the above statement still remains true.

Ibanez, Alvarez, Recording King, Gretsch & Loar
G&L Tribute, 3 Squiers
Vox, Orange, Bugera
JBL, Soundcraft, Roland, Fender, Samson

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

My Solo site -Updated 2/6/19
Old 01-20-2020, 10:04 AM

I had this conversation with a friend of mine just the other day. He telling me about how great his guitar was and that it was simply so much better than every other guitar. I told him that I thought it was great but to me, any guitar he plays sounds like Chuck playing a guitar. Sure, I can hear differences but I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different. On the other hand, if his guitar causes him to give an inspired performance, that is something I can DEFINITELY hear.

A few years ago, I watched a famous guitarist give a performance with his childhood Sears guitar. By all definitions, it was 'bad' guitar. But his performance with that guitar is what I remember more than his performances with his 'good' guitar. Why? Because he was have a blast playing that thing on stage! He would weave in beginner exercises into his songs because that's what he played as a kid. He was smiling from ear to ear the whole time.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --
Yes, what guitar you have matters a great deal -- to the owner of that guitar. Music can be played on ANY guitar and, yes, any musical instrument relies on the player to create great music. One player's prize guitar might be a "no big deal" to many other -- but it just doesn't matter. My "prize" guitar is my 1st -- an early 70's Yamaha FG-110 (played it for many years and we have lots of history). But today I mostly play my Martin 00-28 (which is simply a much better playing and sounding guitar). I suspect the OP's original post was more about the need to play and practice more as a way to improve one's guitar skills vs. the notion that acquiring a "better" guitar will improve your skills. And I agree with this. Whatever guitar(s) you own, have FUN playing it!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM

In a group of guitar snobs the guitar is the main status symbol. Show me your guitar and I tell you who you are! I always feel so sorry for talented virtuoso players who waste their skill on pathetic instruments. But the sad 1.5 chord hack who shows up with a beautifully designed custom luthier build gets all the admiration for sure.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
I'm a firm believer in playing that which inspires you to play more and which you can also reasonably afford. I am a somewhat crappy player - I still sound better on my Emerald X7 and my Martin 000-15SM than I do on my $300 Alvarez and I enjoy playing them a LOT more so I play more for owning them. My Alvarez has been shipped off to my daughter's place on the West Coast so I have SOMETHING to play when I visit her. It's not a bad guitar but it doesn't make me want to play - the others do.

If I lived by your credo, I'd still be playing on my crummy $60 pawnshop acoustic that I bought in 1977 that couldn't be tuned, had barbed wire strings, and action a half inch off the fretboard. Because there were a lot of players then that could sound way better on that than I do on my relatively nice guitars today. Although they wouldn't want to play it, I can guarantee that.

I don't have ultra expensive guitars, but I have two not INEXPENSIVE guitars I really really like and that inspire me to want to play and make me want to keep playing when I pick them up. And they're way better guitars than I am a player. If I didn't own them because I can't "out play" them, YOU might feel better about the state of the world, but I sure as hell wouldn't. And I don't really care how you feel about what I play, just as you probably don't (I hope) about how I feel about what you play, which I don't feel anyway.

-Ray
Old 01-20-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
A guitar that you feel compelled to pick up and play and sounds good while doing so is a good guitar, regardless of the maker.

An expensive, name brand guitar that doesn't compel you to play it is an expensive piece of kindling.

There are more pieces of cheap kindling than expensive pieces, but the above statement still remains true.
Yes - for example, at present my OM is an expensive piece of kindling - let’s talk about “responsiveness” here rather than tone, as the latter is wildly subjective - a good test for responsiveness is how light of touch on the strings is possible to produce workable sound (and pleasing frequency response) - and my Yamaha FS800 with high nut slots (still requiring a set up) *trounces* the OM for soft feel - the OM requires a more vigorous touch to achieve workable tone - it could be a dud guitar, but the strings on it now (not old) and storage conditions have resulted in low performance falling well below its price (close to 15x of the Yamaha).
Old 01-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:

This far into the thread it may be helpful to refer again to the OP. That statement there that "What really matter(s) is how does it sound when you play it" is one that I think most will agree with, even on a "guitar forum" that by it's nature tends to talk about objective things: price, woods, construction techniques, strings, picks, capos, nitrogen percentage in the atmosphere and it's effect on upper partial harmonics and so on.

Overwhelming importance to the eventual art, music, isn't crucial to discussion of those topics. Someone who thinks that something is 1% of the eventual sound and another who thinks that it's 50% could still be interested in what effects they have.

Perhaps the OP is reacting to something that could be assumed from some posts and a theory that is occasionally stated outright: that there is a hierarchy of sound quality that is highly coordinated with price or market value. That's a hard theory to test objectively. I apparently don't believe in its overwhelming importance from the guitars I play to make my art. On the other hand, I own a lot of different sizes and construction types of acoustic guitars, and even if I won't completely trust my subjective experience that they sound different and bring out different aspects of my playing, the subjective effect is such that I enjoy that sensation.

So to the OP: work the theories that help you make your art or that bring you enjoyment and enrichment. I applaud that. And more of us agree with you that what it sounds like when the player plays it is the most important thing than you may be estimating.
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-20-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I think this thread will settle everything once and for all.
Excellent that this one has been settled.

Next subject: BRIDGE PINS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion