The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
If you are lucky enough to find an e2d to try on see if they have the Cedar ac122. I cant find any e2d, e2om or cedar ac122s on the east coast..
They have a bunch of them on Reverb for $500 and free shipping for most. But as hermithollow pointed out you take a risk of getting a mediocre one, buying online without playing it first.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 PM

How about a used Martin D-1 or D-1GT?

I've haven't played an Eastman (haven't even seen one) but I have played some Blueridges. I once played in a bluegrass jam group where the players were diehards ... the type who rarely played a minor chord. Those folks played almost exclusively Martins. I was grudgingly admitted with my Guild D-55. However they did approve of Blueridge guitars because they were as close to being a Martin without being a Martin.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-17-2020, 01:51 PM

I think the Yamaha FGX5 is very Martin D-18 like. Solid wood. Mahogany back and sides and spruce top. New $1399. The FG5 doesn't have electronics and is a couple hundred less I believe. I wanted a D-18 but perfectly content with this Yamaha. It is my new favorite guitar. But now I see your budget so these are more. But well worth the extra cash.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 01-17-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
You can't go wrong with the Eastman E2D either. I have only had it for a few weeks and every time I strum it I am amazed by it's beautiful tone.
I am really leaning towards the E2D. In this video it sounds amazing.

https://youtu.be/iPjMbq3VcHw

Also the price is a big factor. A little back story:
I sold my guitars and amps about a year and a half ago to help pay for my wedding. Admittedly, I wasn't crazy about these guitars so it wasn't hard for me to part with them. Also I wasn't playing them very much, I had other hobbies. So I didn't have any guitars for a year. We spent last year paying off a ton of debt, so now we have significantly more money left at the end of the month. I just got back into playing again a few months ago. Since my wife always felt bad about me having to sell my guitars, she has been VERY understanding of me spending money on guitars and guitar related stuff(amps, cords, stands, etc) lately to get back into the hobby. I've bought 3 guitars and 2 amplifiers in the last two months, I promised her this solid wood acoustic would be the last one for a few years. As we have more debt to pay off and a new house that needs some work. So, in conclusion, while I could afford a nicer instrument, I'm trying to find the best deal possible, because I have other priorities coming up and I don't want to take advantage of how patient my wife is being about me spending money on my hobby. Oh, and also we will be starting a family this year and I hear that kids cost money. Sorry to get so personal, but I hope this helps you to better understand where I'm coming from.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:48 PM

I'd buy a used Larrivee D-03. You'll see plenty at Reverb and GC.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I am really leaning towards the E2D. In this video it sounds amazing.

https://youtu.be/iPjMbq3VcHw

Also the price is a big factor. A little back story:
I sold my guitars and amps about a year and a half ago to help pay for my wedding. Admittedly, I wasn't crazy about these guitars so it wasn't hard for me to part with them. Also I wasn't playing them very much, I had other hobbies. So I didn't have any guitars for a year. We spent last year paying off a ton of debt, so now we have significantly more money left at the end of the month. I just got back into playing again a few months ago. Since my wife always felt bad about me having to sell my guitars, she has been VERY understanding of me spending money on guitars and guitar related stuff(amps, cords, stands, etc) lately to get back into the hobby. I've bought 3 guitars and 2 amplifiers in the last two months, I promised her this solid wood acoustic would be the last one for a few years. As we have more debt to pay off and a new house that needs some work. So, in conclusion, while I could afford a nicer instrument, I'm trying to find the best deal possible, because I have other priorities coming up and I don't want to take advantage of how patient my wife is being about me spending money on my hobby. Oh, and also we will be starting a family this year and I hear that kids cost money. Sorry to get so personal, but I hope this helps you to better understand where I'm coming from.
Yes I have seen that video. It sounds even better when you actual strum over the sound hole. Watching the video I kept on trying to edge his hand over. Lol!!
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Oh, and also we will be starting a family this year and I hear that kids cost money...
Yeh, a whole lot more than a couple of guitars...
Old 01-17-2020, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Check out the Alvarez Masterworks dreadnought... all solid woods, mahogany with a spruce top, nice herringbone purfling, Waverly open-gear tuners, really good fit and finish and a VERY nice hardshell case... no electronics...

$599 at my local store in town here, so probably less expensive on the 'net...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-18-2020, 09:32 PM

I went to Elderly today. I played a few Blueridges, a few Recording Kings, some Guilds and even some high end Martin D-18s and D-28s(just as a benchmark for a sound that I was trying to get close to). I finally decided on a Martin D-13E. To my ears it was just the clear winner, a lot more than I wanted to spend but my wife told me to get what I wanted within reason(she's an angel). I only would have saved like $200 by buying it used on Reverb.
I really hadn't done any research on this guitar before playing it. But Martin knows companies like Blueridge and Eastman are trying to undercut them, so it makes sense that they would try to make a guitar at the same price point that's better.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Good choice. If you want a Martin, it's cheaper in the long run just to get a Martin...
Old 01-18-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So I am looking for a D-18 style guitar that's more affordable. The only real criteria is that it has to be all solid wood. I have it sort of narrowed down:

-Blueridge BR-140 or BR-160
-Eastman E1D, E2D or AC-320
-Recording King RD-310, RD-318 or RD-127
-Fender PM-1

All of these are $500-$650 new/used on Reverb, which is about my budget. I'm going to try to go to a high end music shop near me tomorrow, to play a few. Any suggestions are welcome.
Eastman E1D has a strong low end. Guitar can stand up to hard bluegrass picking.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I haven't played all the guitars your list, but I've found the BR-140 to sound a lot like a D-18. The BR-160 differs in that it has rosewood back and sides.

You might keep your eyes open for a BR-140A, since it and the BR-140 differ in nut width and aesthetics. The BR-140A also has a Adirondack top, but I don't think that makes much of a difference between the two.

IMO, Eastmans have a more modern tone than Martins, but your ears may say different.

Have fun checking them out.
I would agree about Eastman having a more modern voicing. Having owned both Martin and Collings guitars, I would put the Eastman's tone between the two. At least to my ears anyway. They certainly have their own voice.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Help me decide

Quote:
I went to Elderly today. I played a few Blueridges, a few Recording Kings, some Guilds and even some high end Martin D-18s and D-28s(just as a benchmark for a sound that I was trying to get close to). I finally decided on a Martin D-13E. To my ears it was just the clear winner, a lot more than I wanted to spend but my wife told me to get what I wanted within reason(she's an angel). I only would have saved like $200 by buying it used on Reverb.
I really hadn't done any research on this guitar before playing it. But Martin knows companies like Blueridge and Eastman are trying to undercut them, so it makes sense that they would try to make a guitar at the same price point that's better.

Congrats! It’s hard to beat those new 13 series when you want Martin tone at a more modest price. Frankly, I think the Siris wood makes a great sounding instrument. I nearly walked out with one of those on impulse. Great choice.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I think that's a great choice too. Sounds like you really need to keep that guitar... and your wife!
Old 01-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I haven't played all the guitars your list, but I've found the BR-140 to sound a lot like a D-18. The BR-160 differs in that it has rosewood back and sides.

You might keep your eyes open for a BR-140A, since it and the BR-140 differ in nut width and aesthetics. The BR-140A also has a Adirondack top, but I don't think that makes much of a difference between the two.

IMO, Eastmans have a more modern tone than Martins, but your ears may say different.

Have fun checking them out.

I agree with this.
Although their necks are real skinny. They play and sound real strong.
I have had 3 Blueridge and the only one that was full of life is the 140A.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion