The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2020, 02:03 AM

Denial is a river in Egypt. It's a long river. Runs deep along the inside banks as you round the bend while the outside bank presents a sandbar. Takes a whole crew to navigate the boat and to know the water and currents and to communicate. If you go aground you are part of the responsibility as a member of the crew. First the Captain owns up. The crew then follows. You were in this together. That wasn't right. Very disappointing. We are going to lose a payday this trip.

Last edited by Jobe; 01-18-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:45 AM

If the stealing is the problem, technology is the answer. If the Catcher and the pitcher had cellular Apple watches they could send the signs through an encrypted text...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-18-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
If the stealing is the problem, technology is the answer. If the Catcher and the pitcher had cellular Apple watches they could send the signs through an encrypted text...
Oh good. Another way to slow down down a game that already seems painfully slow at times...
Old 01-18-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Oh good. Another way to slow down down a game that already seems painfully slow at times...
It would be just as fast.

I never thought baseball was slow anyhow. It's a chess match.

I hate all this pressure from the league to "speed it up".

Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You'd think that a guy who just hit a walk off, series winning homerun wouldn't think about that as he's rounding the bases.
It does appear he was concealing something. If these guys were using buzzers to relay stolen signs, that’s pretty low.

A few years back, the Redsox got scolded because they were using Apple watches in a sign-stealing scheme. That’s why I think they might get a pretty stiff penalty if the current investigation turns up anything about 2018. They had been warned.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
If the Astros can send signals from a lackey in the video room to the batter on a pitch by pitch basis in real time, I'd think a simple vibrating buzzer type of thing between the catcher and pitcher should be dead simple and quicker than flashing fingers with 14 level of code encryption. One buzz for fastball, two for change up, three for curve, etc, in the order of the pitcher's most used pitches. The pitcher could still visually shake him off, but the initial signal would be much cleaner and quicker.

And I agree that the game isn't too slow. It's the only major American team sport played without a clock. It's not supposed to be fast. You're supposed to revel in the complexity of the myriad possibilities at play on every pitch... That's why I love it - perfect laid back summer entertainment. Engages the brain but almost never the rage triggers that football is all about.

-Ray
Old 01-18-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
If the Astros can send signals from a lackey in the video room to the batter on a pitch by pitch basis in real time, I'd think a simple vibrating buzzer type of thing between the catcher and pitcher should be dead simple and quicker than flashing fingers with 14 level of code encryption. One buzz for fastball, two for change up, three for curve, etc, in the order of the pitcher's most used pitches. The pitcher could still visually shake him off, but the initial signal would be much cleaner and quicker.

And I agree that the game isn't too slow. It's the only major American team sport played without a clock. It's not supposed to be fast. You're supposed to revel in the complexity of the myriad possibilities at play on every pitch... That's why I love it - perfect laid back summer entertainment. Engages the brain but almost never the rage triggers that football is all about.

-Ray
All very true. The problem is in today’s culture, “laid back” sports is boring. Short attention span rules.
Been to a NFL game lately or a concert? Half the people don’t sit still for more than 10-15 minutes and they’re off to the concession stands or whatever...mostly to buy alcohol.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-18-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
And I agree that the game isn't too slow. It's the only major American team sport played without a clock. It's not supposed to be fast. You're supposed to revel in the complexity of the myriad possibilities at play on every pitch... That's why I love it - perfect laid back summer entertainment. Engages the brain
Yep.

I agree...

Old 01-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:

-Ray
One of the best posts I've ever seen on AGF.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Baseball's to slow! Give me a break. Have you ever watched nascar racing? All I see is a lap or two and twenty minutes of stall time while they clean up an accident.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-18-2020, 05:24 PM

Baseball too slow .
Try Cricket . You know , the full test version or whatever it's called .
Then there is soccer . S....l....o.....w.....
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
It does appear he was concealing something. If these guys were using buzzers to relay stolen signs, that’s pretty low.

A few years back, the Redsox got scolded because they were using Apple watches in a sign-stealing scheme. That’s why I think they might get a pretty stiff penalty if the current investigation turns up anything about 2018. They had been warned.
At least we won't have the GM (Dombroski) or coach (Cora) suspended ... they've already been fired. Draft picks and fines I'm guessing.

I'm interested to hear how Altuve and the buzzergate turns out.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
At least we won't have the GM (Dombroski) or coach (Cora) suspended ... they've already been fired. ...
I'm no expert but, I believe, even if they were picked up by another team, they still can be suspended for a number of games for wrong doing.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 AM

I'm not understanding how managers and execs are being punished but not the players.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I'm no expert but, I believe, even if they were picked up by another team, they still can be suspended for a number of games for wrong doing.
You are correct but the Red Sox have already moved on without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I'm not understanding how managers and execs are being punished but not the players.
Yea, MLB offered immunity to the players to speak up about it.

Now that I've given it some thought, anyone think the MLB already knows about Altuve's 'under the jersey buzzer' because it came out in their investigation? Since the players have immunity there's nothing that can be done to Altuve?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic