The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Tommy CanAm

Default Interested in becoming an AGF Moderator?

UPDATE: Thanks to all who have expressed interest in joining the moderator team. We are very pleased with the response we’ve received in such a short time which clearly demonstrates the care members have for this great community.

We now have sufficient candidates to consider when we need to bring new mods on-board, so we’re ending this round of requests for submissions. We will advise when we again need to extend an invitation, so if you have thoughts about joining our team, the opportunity will arise at some point in the future. Thanks again!

—————

See also: Meet your AGF Moderators thread. Past mods, please feel free to post your thoughts on moderating to help those who are considering the role.

The staff is inviting forum members to let us know if you are interested in joining the volunteer mod team. Our strategy is to get ahead of any immediate need for new moderators by maintaining a list of willing members to draw from and consider when the need arises. We have usually sought those who have been here for at least a couple of years, but more important is how prospective mods positively interact with fellow members.

New mods typically begin by handling some of the simpler matters, such as removing inappropriate language and editing posts according to our fundamental “be nice” rule.

Time requirements for mods are flexible; mods contribute based on their own availability. At a minimum, we need each mod to contribute at least several times a week. And in reality, most of us enjoy the forum enough to contribute every day.

To be considered, simply send a private message to any of the moderators. A list is located at the bottom right of each subforum screen (highlighted and linked in red).

Thank you. We hope to hear from those looking for an interesting and rewarding challenge with a desire to “pay it forward” in support of your fellow guitarists!

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX | '18 Taylor 150e-12 | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic, Martin D-18 Replica) | '02 Fender Strat-American '57 RI (Replaced original ‘58)
Composite: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Past mods, please feel free to post your thoughts on moderating to help those who are considering the role.
I spent about 1-1/2 years here as an AGF Moderator, 2015 to 2016 - it may have been a bit longer but I'm not clear. I would rank my job performance as "adequate" . Moderating here was an absolute joy, for a couple of reasons: 1.) A great, helpful team of Mods that work together and know the meaning of consensus; and 2.) A really wonderful membership.

The sense of teamwork among the Mods here at AGF makes it easier to do than at other forums. If you become a Mod, expect to make decisions thoughtfully and lean on the wisdom of your fellow Mods. Ask advice before making a decision. If something needs to be done that is hard, like banning a person or other types of difficult decisions, you are not alone - the decision is made with a lot of discussion and consensus. Most of the work is simpler and more immediate - like editing profanity out of a post, or throwing in a comment if a thread turns into an argument, or moving a post from one forum to a more appropriate forum. Rarely, more difficult issues need to be dealt with - like dealing with trolling, or closing a thread when a discussion becomes too heated, or something like that -- but when it gets that "heavy" it becomes the team doing the legwork, not just yourself alone.

Training, when I was a new Mod, was great. Jeremy and his team were very patient and took the time to explain policies and methods.

My experience as a Mod was very, very positive. If you love the AGF, guitars, and people give it a shot!
1978 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador Classical "Spike"
Taylor 110e "Vicente"
Give us a listen at Littledog Music
Old 12-05-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

I'd re-up if I only had the time. It was a very interesting and enriching experience.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I signed up a couple of years ago but it did not work out due to unexpected changes in my workload. I am hoping to give it another go when I retire in a year or so. I think that the work that our mods do is spectacular and really helps keep this forum an enjoyable place to hang out.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

If one has the time I would highly recommend becoming a moderator. There are several benefits to the moderator gig. One of the most enjoyable benefits is working with a group of first-rate folks who not only have a passion for guitar but also have a passion for keeping the forum a wonderful place to visit.

It's also fascinating and a lot of fun being involved with the behind-the-scenes dynamics on how the quality of the acoustic guitar forum is maintained. A sense of humor is a prerequisite for this gig

If I didn't have a two-year-old rugrat occupying my time I would most likely still be a moderator.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Great ex-mods, all of you! Thank you for those words. Humor is indeed required... there is no other way to do the job.

Takes a little time and a desire to want to help the forum as a volunteer. We're an odd breed, but we have a great time.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Tommy CanAm

Thanks for your informative posts, guys. Your time as mods has been valuable and appreciated. This is the great place it is in part because current and future mods build on the knowledge base that you have selflessly contributed to.

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX | '18 Taylor 150e-12 | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic, Martin D-18 Replica) | '02 Fender Strat-American '57 RI (Replaced original ‘58)
Old 12-05-2019, 11:34 AM

No chance . . . WHO would I argue with ??
Old 12-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I was a moderator for 3 1/4 years. It was generally a good experience and it was very good working behind the scenes with so many good people. It takes time and patience and a sense of humor, as has been said, but if you value the AGF, it's a very significant way to contribute. This is a very important way to pay back the AGF community. Plenty of active members today have been moderators: Bob Womack, Fitness1, RP, M19, Mark Stone, just to name a few.

My hat is off to the current group of moderators who do an excellent job and keep the AGF running smoothly and without rancor!

- Glenn
Old 12-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Here's a shot of AGF Moderator training. All kidding aside, much goes on behind the curtain by a great team of Mods who keep this forum such a great place for the rest of us to gather...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whack-a-mole.jpg (46.5 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by RP; 12-05-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Tommy CanAm

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in joining the moderator team. We are very pleased with the response we’ve received in such a short time which clearly demonstrates the care members have for this great community.

We now have sufficient candidates to consider when we need to bring new mods on-board, so we’re ending this round of requests for submissions. We will advise when we again need to extend an invitation, so if you have thoughts about joining our team, the opportunity will arise at some point in the future. Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2019, 08:19 AM
The Birds and The B-Sides

I would have volunteered, but I have a bad habit of not knowing when to end a disagreement, plus which I caused a little bit too much trouble for the mods when I first arrived here; I don't feel like I have the right to ask to join their ranks.

That said, now that I'm used to how things are here, I really appreciate the active moderation efforts in this community. It's nice to have one little corner of the internet that's not completely out of control.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 AM

Dwas, we appreciate your efforts and we're glad to have you here.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I had the privilege of being a moderator for about a year and had to give it up due to work commitments. Would like to think I could offer my time again in the future. It’s a great experience because you get a good understanding of the hard work that is done to keep this forum a happy place focused on all things acoustic. Keep in mind there is always a moderator “lurking in the shadows” to keep us playing by the rules and being nice to each other .
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Coco)
Santa Cruz OM/PW (Cedar/EIR)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I considered, but was wondering how many "call outs" one is allowed and still be considered for moderator-ship? I may have hit my limit!

scott

INCOMING: 000-18 Authentic
'07 Martin 000-18 GE 1937
'80's Yamaha SJ-400S
'64 Gibson Melody Maker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion