The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Lots of opinions

For the "burn their shop down" crowd: I chose not to name the shop because everyone makes mistakes. I spoke with them yesterday and they offered a refund or modest condition adjustment that ultimately didn't meet my needs, which is fine. I'm not mad about it. I consider a cleated center seam, neck reset, and several back cracks to be significant and would rather spend more to have a guitar without those issues. If the guitar could be had very cheaply I would have considered it. I really don't feel the need to 'out' the shop because I believe this was an honest mistake (albeit a significant one) made by an employee of said shop. None of us are perfect.

For the "talk to the shop before posting" crowd: I decided to post here sharing my experience for a few reasons:

1. Sanity check my thinking on the matter
2. Get input on the cracks in the back of the instrument as to whether they were finish cracks or actual cracks in the wood (sounds like they may be 'real' cracks)
3. Remind others to thoroughly inspect used guitars inside and out, even when purchasing from a shop. Had I not looked inside the instrument I would not have been aware of the repairs. Had I then tried to sell the instrument to somebody it could have (1) reflected poorly on me, and (2) materially impacted the value I could sell it for. If you tout your thorough inspection process as key reason to do business with you then you shouldn't miss multiple cracks and 3 cleats.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-21-2020, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Sounds very sensible, Boozehound. I've never been a fan of "outing" a shop or individual in situations like this because we invariably only get one side of the situation. Not to say there may be active deception, but two different people will invariably have two different perceptions of the same scenario...
Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 AM

@Boozehound, glad it's turning out a-okay. I think you handled it well and hope the shop also recognizes that.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
@Boozehound, glad it's turning out a-okay. I think you handled it well and hope the shop also recognizes that.
+1
It's never fun to return a guitar or to have one returned, but sometimes it's for the best.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:32 PM

Post deleted. Sounds like you got things handled to your satisfaction.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 01-21-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Thanks folks. It's a very reputable shop / dealer. I'm not mentioning the name in this post because I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet. It's a very nice sounding instrument and I do like a deal, so I'm considering throwing out a big number for a condition adjustment. A properly repaired center seam separation shouldn't be a long term issue, right? I would also take it to a good local luthier for a thorough inspection.

What would be a good price to pay for a Santa Cruz with those issues? $2K? Most of them seem to be listed for over $3K used on reverb etc.

Thanks!
I'm with you. If the sound is good and it's structurally sound, why not throw out a crazy number and see if they go for it. If they say no, then send it back. I don't understand those who are just saying send it back without even trying. If someone told me I could get a cleated SC for say $1500--I would take it in a heartbeat.

To the OP; 2K sounds about right, assuming you paid at least 3k or more for it. I wouldn't go a penny over. But definitely have it checked out and have them pay for any luthier inspection charges.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM

Are you paying round-trip shipping costs or is the shop?
Old 01-22-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Lots of opinions

For the "burn their shop down" crowd: I chose not to name the shop because everyone makes mistakes. I spoke with them yesterday and they offered a refund or modest condition adjustment that ultimately didn't meet my needs, which is fine. I'm not mad about it. I consider a cleated center seam, neck reset, and several back cracks to be significant and would rather spend more to have a guitar without those issues. If the guitar could be had very cheaply I would have considered it. I really don't feel the need to 'out' the shop because I believe this was an honest mistake (albeit a significant one) made by an employee of said shop. None of us are perfect.

For the "talk to the shop before posting" crowd: I decided to post here sharing my experience for a few reasons:

1. Sanity check my thinking on the matter
2. Get input on the cracks in the back of the instrument as to whether they were finish cracks or actual cracks in the wood (sounds like they may be 'real' cracks)
3. Remind others to thoroughly inspect used guitars inside and out, even when purchasing from a shop. Had I not looked inside the instrument I would not have been aware of the repairs. Had I then tried to sell the instrument to somebody it could have (1) reflected poorly on me, and (2) materially impacted the value I could sell it for. If you tout your thorough inspection process as key reason to do business with you then you shouldn't miss multiple cracks and 3 cleats.
“Mistake”

Sorry, but if they are half as good/reputable as has been suggested then this was no mistake. The misleading/deceit aspect of this alone is enough of a reason for them to not deserve your business, even if you could get your head around the problems with the guitar and be okay with it.

Not sure why “good” shops like this would risk their reputation for one guitar. Or is this isolated? I doubt it quite frankly. They’re lucky. Some would not be as nice as yourself in terms of not posting up the vendor.

My theory is they gave it a try with the hope that you might be the type of buyer willing to look past things and keep it, and then offer a refund if you weren’t. Simple as that.

You have to give them credit for one thing: They offered the return, didn’t try to stick you with the guitar, fight with you, etc...That’s somewhat of a redeeming quality for me...

I personally would have returned it immediatey. Best of luck.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Before jumping the gun, as we tend to do nowadays, I'd call the shop and explain the situation. They may be flabbergasted (waited 4 months to use that) that these issues were not disclosed, and very apologetic.

They may try real hard to make things right. I'd hear them out.

scott
This. A reputable shop earned that description. So, a mistake may have been made, and no one is perfect.

Only the OP knows his/her comfort level with the instrument after seeing the non-disclosed imperfections, but I would be hesitant to write the shop off because of this one situation. Give them a call and have a conversation.

Good luck!

Edit: I see the OP has made contact with the shop - wise choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion