The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old 01-14-2020, 04:53 PM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Murray is in the last season of a 3 year extension. His cap hit is $3.75M and hes an RFA next season.
Yup. Being an RFA will allow the Pens to meet another team's offer to keep him, so having him play out this season still allows the Pens to have a measure of control. If they lose Murray to another team's offer sheet this off-season, here's the compensation they would receive (based on Murray's contract salary):

Offer sheet compensation has been set for 2019/20

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716: 3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

Over
$10,568,590+: 4 1sts

My guess is that the Pens might consider matching an offer sheet of roughly $2M - $4M. Beyond that they could take the draft pick compensation (a 1st and a 3rd, or more) and probably be okay with that.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-14-2020, 09:06 PM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,448
Default

Sid returns in style tonight with a 4 point night (1 goal and 3 assists), and leads the Pens to a 7-3 win over the Wild. With both Sid and Malkin in the lineup the Pens make it very tough for other teams to win by focusing on shutting down just one line. With Sid and Geno, their depth, goaltending and coaching this Pens team is a legit Cup contender.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:06 AM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 6,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Yup. Being an RFA will allow the Pens to meet another team's offer to keep him, so having him play out this season still allows the Pens to have a measure of control. If they lose Murray to another team's offer sheet this off-season, here's the compensation they would receive (based on Murray's contract salary):

Offer sheet compensation has been set for 2019/20

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716: 3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

Over
$10,568,590+: 4 1sts

My guess is that the Pens might consider matching an offer sheet of roughly $2M - $4M. Beyond that they could take the draft pick compensation (a 1st and a 3rd, or more) and probably be okay with that.
Given that he won two cups as a rookie word is that he could garner more than $9M a year. Not the way he's been playing though.
__________________
~ Neil (sofa player, shower singer and basement whittler)
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Given that he won two cups as a rookie word is that he could garner more than $9M a year. Not the way he's been playing though.
There's some interesting stats being produced regarding the cost/benefit ratio of goaltender contracts in the NHL. This article (behind a paywall) : https://theathletic.com/1533664/2020...r-for-goalies/ reveals how goaltender contracts are much inflated compared to how they improve their team's chances of winning. If Jim Rutherford and his staff are looking at this kind of analysis, Murray's chances of getting a contract in the range of Price, Holtby, Vasilevski, and Bobrovsky from the Pens is probably minimal.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:22 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 34,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
Crazy ending to that Boston-Philly game last night with what's being called the worst shootout attempt in hockey history by Marchand.

Here's the story with video:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/b...n-nhl-history/
Yea, Marchand muffed that one. I recall Kovalchuk missing his shot with NJ early in his stay there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Sid returns in style tonight with a 4 point night (1 goal and 3 assists), and leads the Pens to a 7-3 win over the Wild. With both Sid and Malkin in the lineup the Pens make it very tough for other teams to win by focusing on shutting down just one line. With Sid and Geno, their depth, goaltending and coaching this Pens team is a legit Cup contender.
4 points! Great way to jump back into the game.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Everton FC Everton FC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 898
Default

My Flames beat the Leafs in the shootout, 2-1. Eight games over .500, and many of our best guys are having very down seasons. If Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, and a few others bounce back - and we can get a top 6 RW before the trade deadline - with the goaltending we have, we could be an interesting, dangerous club, come playoff time!
__________________

1978 Yamaha FG-331
1971 Espana 2102
1930s Harmony Mandolin
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:43 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 34,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
My Flames beat the Leafs in the shootout, 2-1. Eight games over .500, and many of our best guys are having very down seasons. If Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, and a few others bounce back - and we can get a top 6 RW before the trade deadline - with the goaltending we have, we could be an interesting, dangerous club, come playoff time!
I hope Calgary makes it to the Playoffs. And (sorry Everton) I also hope Edmonton makes it. McDavid needs to showcase his skills in the playoffs. It would be great for another Battle of Alberta in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Everton FC Everton FC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I hope Calgary makes it to the Playoffs. And (sorry Everton) I also hope Edmonton makes it. McDavid needs to showcase his skills in the playoffs. It would be great for another Battle of Alberta in the playoffs.
I hope all the Canadian teams make it. I've never hated the Oilers. It's good for hockey, and our financially distraught province, that both teams make it.
__________________

1978 Yamaha FG-331
1971 Espana 2102
1930s Harmony Mandolin
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 34,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I hope all the Canadian teams make it. I've never hated the Oilers. It's good for hockey, and our financially distraught province, that both teams make it.
I too want every Canadian team to make it ... except the Canadiens . I'm on the fence about Toronto, as long as they don't out seed the Bruins.

Just looked up the attendance figures (http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance).

Edmonton: 94.3% average (100% is a sellout)
Calgary: 96.8%

You think the downward trend of oil the past year impacts this? By contrast, Ottawa is last at only 64%, 2nd last is Florida at 71%. I feel bad for Ottawa and their situation. Don't think they're going to fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 AM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I too want every Canadian team to make it ... except the Canadiens . I'm on the fence about Toronto, as long as they don't out seed the Bruins.

Just looked up the attendance figures (http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance).

Edmonton: 94.3% average (100% is a sellout)
Calgary: 96.8%

You think the downward trend of oil the past year impacts this? By contrast, Ottawa is last at only 64%, 2nd last is Florida at 71%. I feel bad for Ottawa and their situation. Don't think they're going to fix it.
Hey Dru! I just looked at those attendance figures on the espn link, and I was wondering how teams can average above 100% attendance. For instance, Dallas has a home attendance of 118.9% and Nashville has a road attendance of 116%. There are quite a few other examples of teams with greater than 100% attendance. How is that possible??

BTW- speaking of attendance, this past Sunday the Pens continued their NHL-best consecutive home sellout record, reaching 600 games.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 34,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Hey Dru! I just looked at those attendance figures on the espn link, and I was wondering how teams can average above 100% attendance. For instance, Dallas has a home attendance of 118.9% and Nashville has a road attendance of 116%. There are quite a few other examples of teams with greater than 100% attendance. How is that possible??

BTW- speaking of attendance, this past Sunday the Pens continued their NHL-best consecutive home sellout record, reaching 600 games.
I know that Chicago, at 108%, has standing room tickets available. Guessing that those count above the 100% mark. It's a great question to ask though because standing room can't account for 8% of ticket sales. Perhaps box suites add more?

I didn't realize the Pens had reached 600 games. Wow! Doing the math, that's 14 years ... probably 12 years after including playoff home games.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:36 PM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I know that Chicago, at 108%, has standing room tickets available. Guessing that those count above the 100% mark. It's a great question to ask though because standing room can't account for 8% of ticket sales. Perhaps box suites add more?

I didn't realize the Pens had reached 600 games. Wow! Doing the math, that's 14 years ... probably 12 years after including playoff home games.
I kinda figured on some standing room tickets being sold which would possibly account for the 101-103% numbers, but was incredulous that Dallas could have 18% of their tickets be SRO or that Nashville somehow generates 16% SRO tickets on the road!

The Pens started their sellout streak in February of 2007, so there are playoff games included.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 6,608
Default

With sites like Stubhub and Seat Geek I dont put much stock in the sellout figures. People are making money off buying up seats. Id be curious to see what the original purchase prices are.
__________________
~ Neil (sofa player, shower singer and basement whittler)
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 PM
sad99 sad99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 165
Default

The Athletic ran a poll among players across the league and the results, though far from scientific, are kind of interesting. They talked to 392 players, more than half the league, but some declined to answer some questions. Everyone was guaranteed anonymity. Here are some of the results.

Best player: McDavid 63%, MacKinnon 17% Crosby 16%

What goalie would you want in game 7 of the SC finals (they couldn't pick their own team's goalie): Price 33%, Fleury 23%, Vasilevskiy 11%

Most underrated player: Barkov 22%, Huberdeau 9%, Backstrom 8%

Dirtiest player: Marchand 29%, Wilson 24%, Matthew Tkachuk 11%

Player you'd mot like to have a beer with (again, not on their own team): Ovechkin 14%, Crosby 12%, Thornton 12%

The one with the most agreement, do you pay attention to advanced stats: No 86%, Yes 14%
__________________
A Martin, a Guild, a Tele and a Strat

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 PM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
The Athletic ran a poll among players across the league and the results, though far from scientific, are kind of interesting. They talked to 392 players, more than half the league, but some declined to answer some questions. Everyone was guaranteed anonymity. Here are some of the results.

Best player: McDavid 63%, MacKinnon 17% Crosby 16%

What goalie would you want in game 7 of the SC finals (they couldn't pick their own team's goalie): Price 33%, Fleury 23%, Vasilevskiy 11%

Most underrated player: Barkov 22%, Huberdeau 9%, Backstrom 8%

Dirtiest player: Marchand 29%, Wilson 24%, Matthew Tkachuk 11%

Player you'd mot like to have a beer with (again, not on their own team): Ovechkin 14%, Crosby 12%, Thornton 12%

The one with the most agreement, do you pay attention to advanced stats: No 86%, Yes 14%
I saw the poll and was somewhat surprised by the best player results. I didn't think there would be as much separation between McDavid and MacKinnon as the results showed.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=