The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-03-2024, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I also remember when music stores had bins of light gauge High E and B strings. Back in the 70s before guitars were set up as well as they are today, we used to break a lot of Bs and Es. Especially on Strats if you were a big Tremolo user. About once a year I would buy 10 of each to keep in my cases. I haven’t asked in a long time, but I don’t see bins of Es and Bs at the counter any more.

I also cannot remember the last time I broke a string while playing.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:57 PM

I dont remember but I thought they were Ernie Ball that made a set back in the early 70's with a .007 E string. We loved them for a while til we tried heavier strings and realized how much better sound you get when you cant stretch the high E up over the low E
Old 02-08-2024, 10:38 AM

Ten or fifteen years ago my wife bought me a cheap Chinese strat to get me back into guitar playing. From the recommendations of this forum, I purchased some Ernie Ball Super Slinkies to replace the factory strings. While changing the strings, the B string broke at the ball windings. Since I had another set available, I replaced the B string which also broke at the windings. I sent an email to EB customer support describing the issue and providing the lot number. I never heard back from them; so they lost a customer. Since then, I've been using D'Addario ECG24 flat wound 11's and never had another string break on that guitar. In fact, I've never broken a string on my other guitars either. Over the years, that Chinese Strat has been heavily modified, but that story is for another day.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:15 PM

On my Fender and other 25.5" scale guitars I like the Ernie ball 2221 Regular Slinky .010 - .046 set. I buy them when the 10 packs go on sale. Usually in that amount, I get them for under $5.00 a set.

I know what to expect with every string change as they are very consistent. I've been using them for years.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...Get%202%20Free

On my shorter scale 24.75" Gibson and Zemaitis/Teye 25" scale guitars, I use Pyramid Maximum Performance strings, they are way more expensive than the Ernie Balls (about double). But they last a long time, sound great, and I love the silky feel of them

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pyr...ght-10-46.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars