The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 AM

You can't go wrong with D-18, D-28, and HD-28. The hard part is deciding which one you want to buy first!

You can get them new from around $1,800 to $2,200 if you know where to look and a few hundred less for used. If you can play them all and compare, do that and decide which you like best. If you can't play them to compare, you can order one online and whichever one you decide to get will be awesome and you'll love it.

And you can rest assured that it will be your last NGD (until the next one).
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM

The part I don’t like about this whole deal is that I’m Martin stupid except for knowing some of the model numbers. If you ask me about Taylors, I’m very knowledgeable about them and would know where to go to get what I want. I don’t want another Taylor though. I’ve got my 810 which has been in MANY bluegrass jams over the last 15 years, so now I’m ready to finally break down and get a Martin. I went to their website last night and was instantly confused with so many different neck profiles, etc.. I guess I need to get to studying and learn about Martins.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

It is confusing...I'll be the first to admit. The D-18 (post 2012) and the 2018 Reimagined D-28/HD-28 all use a MLO (Modified Low Oval) neck profile. Only the Golden Era (GE), Vintage, and Authentic models use a Modified-V or Heel & Barrel neck profile.
The post 2018 D-18 and Reimagined HD-28 both share forward shifted scalloped X bracing. The D-28 also has forward shifted X bracing but it's not scalloped. Several AGF sponsors (MFG comes to mind) offer a D-28 with Adirondack top and forward shifted scalloped Adirondack X bracing. But it is a custom shop model and a bit more expensive.
All have 1 3/4" nuts.
Here is a link to a Martin "Spec Wizard". You can compare Martin models side by side. Hope this helps?

http://martinrep.com/specwizard.html

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

The confusion of all the Martin models is why I think it would be helpful to get out to some really good guitar stores and to learn from people who are in the business.

An older HD-28 with a 1 11/16" nut width might be just the right guitar for you, or possibly the D-18, but if you don't like thick necks, the D-18GE might not be right for you, even though it sounds really good.

I can see why you are confused...

- Glenn
Old 06-26-2019, 09:21 AM

You got to sit down with a few Martins. It’s a much more enjoyable experience at least better than making spreadsheets from their website.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Guest 728

No affiliation, but this Advanced Jumbo Stage Edition in the classifieds looks killer.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
No affiliation, but this Advanced Jumbo Stage Edition in the classifieds looks killer.
Yeah...that is a fine looking AJ!

Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I’ve been drooling over it, but I don’t think that would be the one that would make me be satisfied. I just talked to a good friend of mine who has a 2018 HD-28 that’s the best sounding Martin I’ve heard. I’m gonna go play it Sunday to see how i like the neck profile on them and he’s gonna help me find one with a sound like his. I may have to go over budget some, but it’ll be worth it in the long run.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’ve been drooling over it, but I don’t think that would be the one that would make me be satisfied. I just talked to a good friend of mine who has a 2018 HD-28 that’s the best sounding Martin I’ve heard. I’m gonna go play it Sunday to see how i like the neck profile on them and he’s gonna help me find one with a sound like his. I may have to go over budget some, but it’ll be worth it in the long run.
Living in Middle Tennessee, you should make a trip to Gruhn's and try out Martins until you are wore slick. Gruhn's has very knowledgable staff to discuss all things Martin Guitar with you. I have no affiliation with Gruhn's other than buying guitars and banjos from them when I lived in the Nashville area.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I agree! You should be able to find one that suits you easily enough in Tennessee! As BudHa said...go to Gruhn. Ask George himself...he's a very nice man and knows more about Martin's than you can imagine.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
I may have to go over budget some, but it’ll be worth it in the long run.
Budgets were made to be broken, and you only turn 50 once!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 AM

Here’s two options for you, both with Adi tops. One a brand new custom with MLO/HPT neck (more like your Taylors) and an original 18 GE which comes with a fatter neck. I would choose based on your neck preference. Talk to Mark.

https://www.guitarhotline.com/martin...ndack-2276231/
https://www.guitarhotline.com/2003-m...en-era-975479/

He also has HD28s in stock if you want to go that way. All of these guitars are lifers.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I bet you are going to love this guitar! Let us know after you've had a chance to play this HD-28. They are great guitars in my opinion!

- Glenn
Old 06-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I I’m wanting a Banjo Killer!
There is no such thing. The only "banjo killer" is another banjo. Period. All this talk that you see about this guitar or that being a banjo killer comes from people who are just regurgitating stuff they have heard or read, and any person who has ever played in an actual bluegrass jam knows that no guitar will be able to really compete with a banjo, volume-wise. The banjo will always win, unless the guitar is amplified.

The term also misses the point of a jam, because if the guitar finds itself in a position where it's necessary to overpower the banjo (or any other instrument, for that matter), there is something wrong with the banjo player, not the guitar. Whenever people are jamming who know what they're doing, they will quiet down so the guitar can cut through the mix.

That's what it's all about, and therefore, my recommendation would be to pick your guitar based on how it sounds to you, and whether you like the sound and tonal characteristics. As long as you go with a dreadnaught or a jumbo, you'll have plenty of volume to play in an acoustic jam.

Other than that, my very personal opinion is that letting a group of strangers pick your birthday present for you is an idea that's refreshingly different and terrible at the same time.

Remember what Smokey said: Only you can pick the guitar that's right for you.

Happy Birthday and good luck!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The part I don’t like about this whole deal is that I’m Martin stupid except for knowing some of the model numbers. If you ask me about Taylors, I’m very knowledgeable about them and would know where to go to get what I want. I don’t want another Taylor though. I’ve got my 810 which has been in MANY bluegrass jams over the last 15 years, so now I’m ready to finally break down and get a Martin. I went to their website last night and was instantly confused with so many different neck profiles, etc.. I guess I need to get to studying and learn about Martins.
Tnfiddler,

You need not feel stupid about your limited knowledge of Martin. If your a Taylor fan, you had no great need to have a great depth of knowledge about Martin. Also, Martin makes SO MANY models, variations of models, limited models, short term models... phew! Who can keep up?

And that is why you should take the time to play and research.

Everybody on the forum has their favorites. Fine. But be sure to get what works for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion