The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
On the Mac you can 'aggregate' devices, using the Audio MIDI Setup app that comes on every Mac . So, for instance, you can take the Apogee Jam, get an Apogee Mic and aggregate the two so that logically the computer sees them as one device but two inputs thus:

So, you can see here that I occasionally aggregate my Jam and Mic into a two input device. And occasionally I'll aggregate my Mic and my One into a three input, two output device. Depending on my needs.

You don't have to be limited to one of anything when using USB devices...
I just looked at my Audio MIDI set up for the first time, that looks like a good solution for mic and jam
not sure what Onev2 is , is that a external audio device? Is there any advantage between mic and mic 96k ? Thanks D Angel
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonesine View Post
I just looked at my Audio MIDI set up for the first time, that looks like a good solution for mic and jam
not sure what Onev2 is , is that a external audio device? Is there any advantage between mic and mic 96k ? Thanks D Angel
Apogee's small product line is:

Jam (line in)
Mic (mic)
One (mic and line in and outs)
Duet (ins/outs)
Quartet (more ins/more outs)
etc.

One is currently on v2 (as is Duet). The One is a stellar product (actually, they all are).

Mic96k is their V2 of that... offers a higher resolution if you NEED that, otherwise it seems very similar but uses Thunderbolt vs USB.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I would suggest checking out the CAD m179 for a decent budget mic @ around $129.00. Variable polar pattern. You can use this one for guitars or vox, maybe later on get a CAD e70 @ around 100 bills. With those two mics you have many options. The e70 comes with two capsules, cardoid and omni.
There some choices for interfaces between 150-200. The Steinberg UR 22, Focusrite, Mackie Black Jack. With this set up your note spending a ton of cash and should be happy for quite some time.
when starting to looking at interfaces , this was my beginning list, I think most of these were well above the 200 limit , so will check you suggestions out:
RME Babyface
Mott Track 16
Focusrite Forte
Apogee Duet
Apogee Quartet

appreciate you information whitecloud .................thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Apogee's small product line is:

Jam (line in)
Mic (mic)
One (mic and line in and outs)
Duet (ins/outs)
Quartet (more ins/more outs)
etc.

One is currently on v2 (as is Duet). The One is a stellar product (actually, they all are).

Mic96k is their V2 of that... offers a higher resolution if you NEED that, otherwise it seems very similar but uses Thunderbolt vs USB.
just looked at One , to get this straight it connects with usb connection , I have a mac book pro that has
two usb ports so connecting a One, Jam and Mic ( three total usb ) would need a usb hub? and looking at the specs it seems you can connect a XLR mic and 1/4 instrument / say bass , so is this correct , I can have a usb mic and a XLR mic, guitar/jam , bass/one , all record simultaneously ?
or if I got the mic 96k and used the thunderbolt I would not need the hub...
Thanks again...
Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
just looked at One , to get this straight it connects with usb connection , I have a mac book pro that has
two usb ports so connecting a One, Jam and Mic ( three total usb ) would need a usb hub? and looking at the specs it seems you can connect a XLR mic and 1/4 instrument / say bass , so is this correct , I can have a usb mic and a XLR mic, guitar/jam , bass/one , all record simultaneously ?
or if I got the mic 96k and used the thunderbolt I would not need the hub...
Thanks again...
I misspoke, it has a LIGHTNING connector... so it can plug straight into an iPad or iPhone.

How many connections do you actually need?

The Jam allows ONE 1/4" input
The Mic IS one input
The One has an XLR input (for a mic or DI box) plus a 1/4" input for a guitar (any guitar) plus is has a built in mic that is surprisingly good for quick and easy vocals.

So, for instance, you could do:

2 Inputs:
"Mic" + "Jam" as an aggregate device which would allow you to record straight in with a guitar/bass and record a mic at the same time (that's it, no output other than the headphone out on the Mac).

2 Inputs plus built-in mic:
"One" you could use as a one time device with an input for a guitar/bass and have an XLR connected mic AND use the built in mic for a total of three inputs AND you can monitor from the One too, using headphones.

That help? Option one uses both USB sockets, option two uses one. None use Thunderbolt
Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I misspoke, it has a LIGHTNING connector... so it can plug straight into an iPad or iPhone.

How many connections do you actually need?

The Jam allows ONE 1/4" input
The Mic IS one input
The One has an XLR input (for a mic or DI box) plus a 1/4" input for a guitar (any guitar) plus is has a built in mic that is surprisingly good for quick and easy vocals.

So, for instance, you could do:

2 Inputs:
"Mic" + "Jam" as an aggregate device which would allow you to record straight in with a guitar/bass and record a mic at the same time (that's it, no output other than the headphone out on the Mac).

2 Inputs plus built-in mic:
"One" you could use as a one time device with an input for a guitar/bass and have an XLR connected mic AND use the built in mic for a total of three inputs AND you can monitor from the One too, using headphones.

That help? Option one uses both USB sockets, option two uses one. None use Thunderbolt
yes that does help , the ONE is a very interesting option
regarding Thunderbolt , I thought I saw a spec saying it was an option for the mic 96k and after double checking as far as I can see , that is incorrect

the amount of inputs I need: or what I would like to have now would be mic for acoustic guitar , mic for vocal; which the one or one plus apogee mic would work fine

the amount of inputs in the future : as I am beginner this is very tentative , but it would seem that four or more would open up the options

the opinions and advise in this forum from the many very knowledgeable musicians/audio engineers is very very helpful , recording has a very interesting mix of scientific/engineering and artistic skills
Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
when starting to looking at interfaces , this was my beginning list, I think most of these were well above the 200 limit , so will check you suggestions out:
RME Babyface
Mott Track 16
Focusrite Forte
Apogee Duet
Apogee Quartet

appreciate you information whitecloud .................thanks
Wow I didn't know you were considering emptying that much of your wallet(especially the Quartet)
I've heard good things about the RME, MOTU and Apogee don't think you can go wrong with either of these. A couple of negatives with the Forte but those could be isolated complaints.
I am going for the MOTU UltraLite MK3 hybrid myself. It just has the features I require. I suppose Apogee the one is nice and all but $250.00 is kind of steep for me given the lack of i/o and feature set compared to many others in that price range or with that $ going toward the other interfaces you mentioned. Plus no worries with multiple USB devices and if there is an argument for clock drift. My $.02
Old 08-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Wow I didn't know you were considering emptying that much of your wallet(especially the Quartet)
I've heard good things about the RME, MOTU and Apogee don't think you can go wrong with either of these. A couple of negatives with the Forte but those could be isolated complaints.
I am going for the MOTU UltraLite MK3 hybrid myself. It just has the features I require. I suppose Apogee the one is nice and all but $250.00 is kind of steep for me given the lack of i/o and feature set compared to many others in that price range or with that $ going toward the other interfaces you mentioned. Plus no worries with multiple USB devices and if there is an argument for clock drift. My $.02

you are right about the cost of the Quartet ,I am hoping to spend much less . I have been doing research on the One and the Duet , what they come with and what would be needed , and figuring out what i/o's they actually have and how the combinations work is not always clear especially as I am starting from scratch , apogee is nice stuff but I think you pay a premium , I looked at the MOTU MK3 , looks good and a lot of function for the price , more complexed than what I have been looking at , interesting to see another option , helpful to know what you are actually going to use , thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
you are right about the cost of the Quartet ,I am hoping to spend much less . I have been doing research on the One and the Duet , what they come with and what would be needed , and figuring out what i/o's they actually have and how the combinations work is not always clear especially as I am starting from scratch , apogee is nice stuff but I think you pay a premium , I looked at the MOTU MK3 , looks good and a lot of function for the price , more complexed than what I have been looking at , interesting to see another option , helpful to know what you are actually going to use , thanks
Things I like about the MK3 is it can be used standalone w/o need for computer as a mixer with fx etc. My old Mackie mixer is about ready to give up the ghost so I kill two birds with one stone. Also that flexible routing which may be daunting for a newbie to this kind of stuff but here again one can grow into it.
I also use outboard character/color preamps in many cases. This interface has line in's that bypass the units preamps so that is another big plus, but in your case not a concern. Also MOTU has improved their interfaces to the point that many don't need to send them to BLA for mods. I did mention the UR22 for 150, the UR 44 has even more 1/0 but FX as well.
You haven't mentioned the UAD Apollo twin which if I had a Mac right now I would probably give that one a real good look.
I would take my time and think this one out. Get something that will not only suit your needs now, but most likely won't be replaced sooner than you would want as when you get into recording, you more than likely will be surprised just how much your needs grow.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Things I like about the MK3 is it can be used standalone w/o need for computer as a mixer with fx etc. My old Mackie mixer is about ready to give up the ghost so I kill two birds with one stone. Also that flexible routing which may be daunting for a newbie to this kind of stuff but here again one can grow into it.
I also use outboard character/color preamps in many cases. This interface has line in's that bypass the units preamps so that is another big plus, but in your case not a concern. Also MOTU has improved their interfaces to the point that many don't need to send them to BLA for mods. I did mention the UR22 for 150, the UR 44 has even more 1/0 but FX as well.
You haven't mentioned the UAD Apollo twin which if I had a Mac right now I would probably give that one a real good look.
I would take my time and think this one out. Get something that will not only suit your needs now, but most likely won't be replaced sooner than you would want as when you get into recording, you more than likely will be surprised just how much your needs grow.

you nailed it exactly , "but most likely won't be replaced sooner than you would want as when you get into recording" I will look into the UAD Apollo. I do have an art tube preamp that I bought to use with my turntable to have gain on the signal going into a pandora I used for guitar practice with headphones. I bought a Technics SL 1200 M3 in the 80's and people I knew then said I was nuts to buy such an expensive turntable , got it at DJ supplier in the SFValley for about 300.00 ,I am so glad that I did that now. I don't know that you can even get them now. It's great to be able to play albums to my kids that I have from the 60's when I was a kid.Non digital sound is different for sure, my older son who plays viola , was just getting interested in guitar and I was having him play along with Muddy Waters , basic blues and rock , he immediately noticed the sound difference. oops must be the espresso getting me off topic , once again much appreciated
Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
you nailed it exactly , "but most likely won't be replaced sooner than you would want as when you get into recording" I will look into the UAD Apollo. I do have an art tube preamp that I bought to use with my turntable to have gain on the signal going into a pandora I used for guitar practice with headphones. I bought a Technics SL 1200 M3 in the 80's and people I knew then said I was nuts to buy such an expensive turntable , got it at DJ supplier in the SFValley for about 300.00 ,I am so glad that I did that now. I don't know that you can even get them now. It's great to be able to play albums to my kids that I have from the 60's when I was a kid.Non digital sound is different for sure, my older son who plays viola , was just getting interested in guitar and I was having him play along with Muddy Waters , basic blues and rock , he immediately noticed the sound difference. oops must be the espresso getting me off topic , once again much appreciated
Yeah one of my friends still has his pair of Technique's and even though he doesn't DJ anymore, they are not going anywhere. He is big on vinyl has his own personal record collection and has had some of his clients put out some LP's besides CD's and iTunes. I looked into getting a turntable but am lost there as I don't know what is worth buying these days. I really miss when the needle hits the record through a good ole Stereo.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah one of my friends still has his pair of Technique's and even though he doesn't DJ anymore, they are not going anywhere. He is big on vinyl has his own personal record collection and has had some of his clients put out some LP's besides CD's and iTunes. I looked into getting a turntable but am lost there as I don't know what is worth buying these days. I really miss when the needle hits the record through a good ole Stereo.
the dj hip hop world really extended the life of turntables. I am looking at the Apollo Twin , it looks to be a slightly less robust version of Apogee Quartet , for a substantially lower price there is a Solo and Duo version , from what I can tell it is one or two processors working , very interesting , I had not been aware of this interface, .. thanks for pointing me to the apollo... and it uses thunderbolt which is great ....
Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
the dj hip hop world really extended the life of turntables. I am looking at the Apollo Twin , it looks to be a slightly less robust version of Apogee Quartet , for a substantially lower price there is a Solo and Duo version , from what I can tell it is one or two processors working , very interesting , I had not been aware of this interface, .. thanks for pointing me to the apollo... and it uses thunderbolt which is great ....
Yeah for 2 bills more twice the juice, probably a no-brainer. Granted many feel the processing power is getting long in the tooth but for your needs more than enough. They usually come with a voucher for x amount off their other plug-ins and you can demo the ones you think might be of interest and they do have sales. With something like this it may take quite awhile to sort things out. However if you have some understanding of how to utilize eq and compression then translate how that would work in a DAW it may not be a long headache.
Just the stock plug-in Bundle would be great. Not many argue how great their 1176 and LA2a emulations are, plus doesn't tax the Computer CPU much at all. The Pultec should do you fine for eq. Their preamps and converters more than adequate, I doubt you would notice much difference against the Apogee at this stage of the game
Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah for 2 bills more twice the juice, probably a no-brainer. Granted many feel the processing power is getting long in the tooth but for your needs more than enough. They usually come with a voucher for x amount off their other plug-ins and you can demo the ones you think might be of interest and they do have sales. With something like this it may take quite awhile to sort things out. However if you have some understanding of how to utilize eq and compression then translate how that would work in a DAW it may not be a long headache.
Just the stock plug-in Bundle would be great. Not many argue how great their 1176 and LA2a emulations are, plus doesn't tax the Computer CPU much at all. The Pultec should do you fine for eq. Their preamps and converters more than adequate, I doubt you would notice much difference against the Apogee at this stage of the game
that's just the advise I needed in bold above, started using garageband for more than guitar practice, went through some you tube demo's on gb and also EQ , but in the midst of all that I found out that my apogee jam 96k also works with piano, which I just tried and it works , has some clipping but will figure that out , mono but still nice and also will work with a dynamic mic* I am thinking that I should get a sure sm 57or 58 and any thoughts on either ? and get to some actual recording , but start to learn garageband and that should put my on much better footing when I am ready for a move up... starting to play acoustic guitar and this forum have me in a digital voyage , sort of ironic , and it's a good thing the guy at guitar center talked me into the apogee from the i rig , the apogee being five times as expensive but he showed my son and I how it worked with garageband and my son got one, and after we played with it for a day or two I got one a couple weeks later, and mom was very happy that the strat I got him could be practice with head phones..
I have not regretted getting the high end and it is still surprising me

*with a XLR to 1/4 adaptor apogee says , apple says you need an impedance transformer, which may be the same thing , but not sure
and I was wondering if you could use a condenser mic with a preamp

Last edited by gtonesine; 08-27-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Hey I just stumbled across this one the Audient iD22 after Googling the Tascam UH-7000. Thing is I am about a week away from making my own personal decision which interface to upgrade to from my UR22. I said I was strongly considering the MOTU but have ran across some reviewers that have the unit that concerns me some.

The Audient is only USB 2, not firewire or Thunderbolt but if you look at it as a complete piece, something to not overlook.
Killer clean mic pre's with enough gain for hungry ribbons and dynamics. Some really nice i/o options, straight forward software console. Hi current Headphone amp fed by a independent DAC. Plug and play for Mac OSX. I'll provide the Sweetwater url because of the convience of vids but I plan on researching this thoroughly and ask my Studio owner friend what he thinks as well. It is always a good thing to have as many choices as possible.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iD22/

btw if it was between a SM58 or 57 I'd go with a 57 if I were you. I guess there are various mods for each for those that like to tinker but am not well informed as to what it entails or cost.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD