The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Spruce top grain query.

i have recently acquired two new guitars from the same maker. Both have Adirondack tops, and I imagine pretty new growth.
One has very close grain, and the other, very wide.

I'd be most interested in the thoughts of luthiers here, about your opinions on grain width and tonal quality and stability etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:51 PM

You are looking for a correlation between grain and tonal "quality" and stability. As much as we'd all like for there to be simple visual clues that this appearance sounds like this and that visual appearance produces that stability, there doesn't seem to be one.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 PM

The stiffest spruce top in my collection at this point is a Carpathian Spruce top with the widest grain I've ever seen. I've not measured it but it's probably 6lines per inch...

So yeah grain line count (annular rings) per inch are meaningless. The stiffness of a top varies greatly but can be controlled by thicknessing to a desired deflection or acoustic test.

What might be more relevant is how vertical the grain is. If you see a lot of silking then you have a well quartered top which indicates that for that given piece of wood it is the cut that provides the optimal stiffness. But even then it is dependable on many variables.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yep, close grain vs wide grain is purely an appearance thing. There is no correlation between grain width and stiffness or sound. The evidence has been published and is quite clear.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:11 PM

Your guitars are beautiful and now I am vying to purchase an Eastman next, quite possibly a single 0 or double just like yours! I really have been enjoying your youtube videos.

I recently came across this thread and it seems to be asking the same questions: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=592380

Cheers brother
Old 10-22-2020, 11:27 PM

could it also be that some tonal differences attributed to wide grain are actually because those tops were more off quarter? it would appear from the surface that the grain is wider.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all, and especially to KLIEND for the referral to a previous link which in turn led me to Bruce Van Wart's video.

That's made me feel better about my wide grained Adi top!

Old 10-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You are looking for a correlation between grain and tonal "quality" and stability. As much as we'd all like for there to be simple visual clues that this appearance sounds like this and that visual appearance produces that stability, there doesn't seem to be one.
This! Visually I like the wider grain. To each their own.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
could it also be that some tonal differences attributed to wide grain are actually because those tops were more off quarter? it would appear from the surface that the grain is wider.
These days, it is rare to see tops that are so far off-quarter that the grain would appear noticeably wider on the surface.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
Plan on finishing this one for Christmas. Fairly quartered, roughly 4-5 lines per inch. If the tops were cut off quarter the grain lines would be wider.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Wow. I guess what I interpreted as wide grain wasn't really *that* wide of a grain. I'll be interested to see the finished product.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I just took better images of the gran on my E40-00.
Whaddya think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E40-00 inlay.jpg (49.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0248.jpg (39.1 KB, 82 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair