The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2020, 08:03 PM

This is my latest recording on the MV88+ using my Samsung S9 mobile phone.
The first recording I made, I had the microphone mounted on top in it's special clip, but my vocals were too loud.
This recording, I removed the mic, and sat down on top of the bench the tripod was sitting on, and pointed it more towards the guitar.
Hopefully it's a decent blend for you.
This is my version of Ashley McBryde's "Girl Goin' Nowhere" slightly modified to become "Boy Goin' Nowhere"
I hope you enjoy!!!
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...8248238232075/
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
This is my latest recording on the MV88+ using my Samsung S9 mobile phone.

The first recording I made, I had the microphone mounted on top in it's special clip, but my vocals were too loud.

This recording, I removed the mic, and sat down on top of the bench the tripod was sitting on, and pointed it more towards the guitar.

Hopefully it's a decent blend for you.

This is my version of Ashley McBryde's "Girl Goin' Nowhere" slightly modified to become "Boy Goin' Nowhere"

I hope you enjoy!!!

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...8248238232075/

Wow, that is pretty!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I had a failure with the MV88 today, next to no volume.
I ended up removing the microphone and did my concert through the phones own internal microphones.
I had convinced my semi retired Dad to perform with me this afternoon.
He prefers to be fishing these days, and his hands are starting to hurt if he plays too long. Still for a 75yo, he's still goes strong!!
We have different tastes in country music, so it's pretty rare for us to share the stage.
You will hear the poor sound right at the start, but it comes right towards the end of the first song.
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...8377807552455/
Quote:
I figured out the issue. I must have accidentally hit the "Loud" setting when checking I had everything set up correctly. It reduces the gain hugely, and everything was so quiet.
Just saw these posts, that was fun. Is that the guitar you made that you are playing? Really fun to see your Dad still playing.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:02 PM

The mic sounds great by the way.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Wow, that is pretty!
Thank you mate, most appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Just saw these posts, that was fun. Is that the guitar you made that you are playing? Really fun to see your Dad still playing.
Thank you so much Tom, that really means a lot coming from you.
Yes, that is the guitar I built that I pulled everyone along for the journey! I have barely put it down, and still gigging with it too!

Slowly planning my next one, but the school I went to before is no longer operating, as his own brand of guitars has taken off so much that he had to employ more people to work for him, and help meet the demand. I good problem to have I guess, but now I have to find another school to attend!

Dad will be glad to hear those comments. He can certainly hold his own when it comes to singing, but he's not into performing that much now, he prefers to be fishing!

Thanks again.

Last edited by Zandit75; 10-26-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

We have been out and about in our motorhome the last three months. I did a couple music video productions with my music partner Mark over the summer, but I haven't made a "Staying at Home" video since last June.

Plenty of other stuff going on, but I'm grateful that my Honey asked, "Would you play some music while I brush Rufus (the cat)?" She and Rufus enjoy the music, and he is more settled for a good brushing with music playing. Anytime I pull a guitar down, he runs by my side or at my feet.

My Honey then said, "It's been a while since you recorded something - you're about due." She knows me and what is good for my soul. She bought me a ring light a couple weeks ago, and this would be a good time to test it out. Along with a second camera (an Insta360 One R) to go along with the Shure MV88+ and my iPhone.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2020/10/been-while.html

Here's the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OByF...ature=youtu.be

A look at the set-up...

Old 11-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Another "Staying at Home" video with the MV88+ mic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GumNgQGMOdE
Old 11-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Amazing shure V88

So I just got through reading about 70% of posts here and listening to some INCREDIBLE videos.

I’ve been using IRig pre with iPhone XR connected to a MXL 990 cardioid condenser microphone about 6” away from my JBL Eon One.

That was up to 3 weeks ago when Apple updated to 14.something and everything went in the proverbial toilet.

I’ve done 13 livestreams, on Saturday, another friend at 5 for 30 minutes and then I come on after him at 5:30 for 30 minutes. If anything, this is just therapy as I’ve been out of the game for 20 years and had just started going to open mics last December.

What is odd, is that up until this morning I couldn’t get any microphone hooked to the iPhone to work and I hada few to test. Included was the Zoom iQ 7 which just showed a constant red light when connected.

So today I attempted the IRig pre setup one more time with the Amplitude app to no success. But when I used the Zoom iQ7 along with the Amplitude app, the Facebook livestream was ok, albeit not to the sound I had with the IRig, but I hoped I was onto something.

Sooooo, reading the thread, the iQ 7 has just a lightning plug and my 4” cord doesn’t reach to the Eon One. Ordered an extension today, but also...in my desire to get streaming again, bought a Saramonic Smartrig + which will arrive next week.(I put a search on the Saramonic and this thread popped up)

I am amazed at the quality of these videos you folks have presented! Incredible audio and hard to believe it is just the MV88!!! I may return the Saramonic if the MV88 can create such pristine audio.

Here is a song from one of my livestreams.

https://youtu.be/U23efZm0odE

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
2019 Taylor 414CE (Ovangkol)
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 11-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Here's another Staying at Home video, done with an iPhone 11 Pro and the Shure MV88+. Nothing fancy, but easy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9gXDHQ7ZSA
Old 12-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Another Staying At Home video (Christmas edition) done with the iPhone 11 Pro and the Shure MV88+...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2om...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-15-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Another Staying At Home video (Christmas edition) done with the iPhone 11 Pro and the Shure MV88+...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2om...ature=youtu.be
Captain Jim, your videos sound really good, nicely done...
Approx how far away from you is the Shure MV88+? it does a nice job of not picking up a lot of "room".
Thnx and Merry Christmas to you...
Old 12-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Captain Jim, your videos sound really good, nicely done...
Approx how far away from you is the Shure MV88+? it does a nice job of not picking up a lot of "room".
Thnx and Merry Christmas to you...
Thanks. I have the MV88+ about 2' away, just outside of where the camera would see it. It picks up the guitar and voice decent at that distance. If I want any guitar or vocal effects, I use a lightning extension cable and put that mic about 4" from a Bose S1; different setting on the MV88+. It really is pretty versatile.

Less set up to just put the mic by the phone, play and sing. The MV88+ kit allows you to put the mic right on the phone holder, but I prefer to separate them a bit and put the mic on a separate (and lower) mini tripod. It puts the mic about 6 to 8" closer than on the phone.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Just realised I have missed a couple of videos I put on Facebook earlier this year, but recently uploaded to my YouTube channel.
This is my version of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game
Old 12-16-2020, 08:35 PM

And one last one, this is Chris Young's "Drowning"
I actually used the trimming and effects options on the Shure video app for this one post recording. You can trim off the start and end of the videos so only the song is presented, and you don't see yourself walking across the shot to turn on/off the video.
Hope you enjoy!
Old 01-02-2021, 07:35 PM

A new video for you all.
This is a song by Australian country singer Troy Casser-Daley, called "LAdies of my life"
I recorded this one a little differently than my previous ones. The camera and mic are only about 2' away instead of approx 2mtrs.
Hope you enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD