The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
Since this thread started, the Collings company founder has passed but he initiated several key innovations to their line that definitely impact this comparison. The most recent option they offered in 2020 is the new neck build and the Satin option on the Traditional models. I think the instruments with these features are more in line with what SCGC owners prefer (based on reading this thread) - better bass, more resonance and more of what a Vintage Martin offers. But they still contain what Collings devotees love - clarity, balance, strong fundamentals and projection. I think the new Traditional series are spectacular - I would love to hear what SCGC owners who have played them think.
The idea that there is 1 tone that SC players prefer is exactly where the problem is - SC, and Richard Hoover, build a variety of instruments, with a variety of voices. You can’t compare the voices of a ‘29 series with their PW series, or their FS or 00-Skye to their VJ or Tony Rice - and most of their instruments are custom, many with adjustments made to voice or specs to meet the desires of the person placing the order. Listen to the variety of SC artists, and you’ll hear some very different guitars - but all great, in their own special way. It’s a variety that I haven’t heard, or at least isn’t as obvious to me, with Collings -
Old 10-19-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
The idea that there is 1 tone that SC players prefer is exactly where the problem is - SC, and Richard Hoover, build a variety of instruments, with a variety of voices. You can’t compare the voices of a ‘29 series with their PW series, or their FS or 00-Skye to their VJ or Tony Rice - and most of their instruments are custom, many with adjustments made to voice or specs to meet the desires of the person placing the order. Listen to the variety of SC artists, and you’ll hear some very different guitars - but all great, in their own special way. It’s a variety that I haven’t heard, or at least isn’t as obvious to me, with Collings -
I agree with this. I love my SCGC OM, but have tried a bunch of other models (PW variants, dreadnoughts, H and F models, and was straight floored at how absolutely different they all are). You wouldn't think they were made by the same company outside of their excellent fit and finish. They do span a vast tonal range.

Not that Collings has "one flavor", it doesn't. Before buying my OM2H I tested out a dozen or more Collings of many sizes and woods, and of course all were different. But I would say the degree of variation is greater for the SCGC line than the Collings lines I tried (00, OM1 and OM2, D1 and D2, all types of bracing and tonewood variants).
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Collings

A Collings OM3 stole my heart back in 1998 and the love affair grows stronger every day.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I mostly agree, though I think there are elements of warmth and clarity that do come through on most of their instruments
Old 10-24-2020, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Real nice review!
Great info from Ted. Howdy, Ted!

scott memmer
Old 10-24-2020, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
I mostly agree, though I think there are elements of warmth and clarity that do come through on most of their instruments
I guess that was my point. Since this thread was started Collings has introduced a wider spectrum of tones into their lineup. Some that I think would appeal to SC players. Essentially I was wondering what SC players think of similarly styled Collings in the newer offerings.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess that was my point. Since this thread was started Collings has introduced a wider spectrum of tones into their lineup. Some that I think would appeal to SC players. Essentially I was wondering what SC players think of similarly styled Collings in the newer offerings.
IMHO - Once we get to a place where I can walk into a shop and try a few, I think I’d enjoy it. But currently, I’m quite happy with my SC’s, and their quality and playability and company philosophy, so I would have a hard time imagining an experience so superior to what I know I have now that it would convince me to buy a Collings.

But - SC builds very few instruments, and have only a handful of dealers throughout the world, so more possible variety from Collings makes the future look even better for players choices -
Old 05-29-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Since this thread was started Collings has introduced a wider spectrum of tones into their lineup.
Agreed. For example the CJ-35 and C10-35 and now the new CJ-45T. All of these have few equivalents from any other makers at the present time given their combination of larger neck profiles, generous string spacing and short scale. From what I can gather these impart a more vintage-oriented tone while still benefiting from Collings typical responsiveness and playability.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion