The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Fixing Nitrocellulose Finish Issues

I have a great Poe Scout mandolin that arrived from a previous owner in a nice, protective looking gig bag. Somehow, though, it appears that a pattern in some of the material lining the bag has transferred to the top side and bottom of the mandolin. The gig bag is lined with foam padding held in place by a black netting like material. The mandolin rests perfectly and snugly into the case. Could the foam padding possibly contain some sort of plastic that could have softened the mandolin's finish so that a faint imprint of the netting was left on the finish? That's the only thing that I can think of.

So: I transferred the mandolin to another case. Any suggestions in getting those faint imprints out? Can they be rubbed out without otherwise damaging the finish?

I actually believe this is a job better left to a professional. Any suggestions for a top notch craftsman that does this sort of work? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I have been searching for the answer to this for a long time. I don't have the answer and I swear there's a secret society that is keeping it from me. So please don't take my advice. But I do wonder if a person learned how an instrument is finished when they are made they may find how to sand, steel wool, and buff an instrument and possibly accomplish what you are looking for. That may only work with a nitrocellulose instrument. Or not

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-24-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timacn View Post
I have a great Poe Scout mandolin that arrived from a previous owner in a nice, protective looking gig bag. Somehow, though, it appears that a pattern in some of the material lining the bag has transferred to the top side and bottom of the mandolin. The gig bag is lined with foam padding held in place by a black netting like material. The mandolin rests perfectly and snugly into the case. Could the foam padding possibly contain some sort of plastic that could have softened the mandolin's finish so that a faint imprint of the netting was left on the finish? That's the only thing that I can think of.

So: I transferred the mandolin to another case. Any suggestions in getting those faint imprints out? Can they be rubbed out without otherwise damaging the finish?

I actually believe this is a job better left to a professional. Any suggestions for a top notch craftsman that does this sort of work? Thanks for your help.
I can suggest to contact Jerry Rosa at Rosa String Works. He is the best at knowing about mandolins and a great luthier. Mandolins are his thing mostly.
Here's his email address : [email protected] .

Ron
Old 10-24-2020, 08:04 PM

If they are very faint, you can use a fine cut and polishing compund like a swirl remover amd rub them out

If they are signifcantly deeper then they will need to be fine sanded with 2000 grit and a flat backed rubber caul and then buffed afterwards

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
If they are very faint, you can use a fine cut and polishing compund like a swirl remover amd rub them out

If they are signifcantly deeper then they will need to be fine sanded with 2000 grit and a flat backed rubber caul and then buffed afterwards

Steve
I used this method on a nitro-finished Strat neck that I carelessly allowed to come into contact with some foam padding; it left a pattern of the foam in the surface. 2000 grit wet-dry paper, wet sand with a little spit (Carefully) followed by a Meguires automotive hand-polishing product that does NOT contain any silicone. Shined it right up.

Not all of the foam padding stuff out there will react with nitro, but it is the safe way to bet that it will.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair