The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-01-2020, 10:08 AM

Default first electric

unless u REALLY want any kind of whammy bar, i recommend against, even if the guitar seems "perfect" for u — BECAUSE of increased intonation and tuneability issues.
2005 Line 6 Variax
2012 Rod Schenk koa-cedar custom-build FG
2014 Eastman 10-00
2020 Martin OM-28 Modern Deluxe
Old 10-01-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
G&L Tribute series start at $399 and go up to $599
And they show up as a Musician's Friend SDOTD often. MF will have a Tribute ASAT (Telecaster) in single coil and Blues Boy humbucker configuration and a Tribute Legacy (Stratocaster) at $299 discounted from $459 - $499 coming around about every two months.

I've got a Swamp Ash ASAT that way and really like it.

That Gretch Steve suggested is really nice. I've got it, too. More expensive than the G&L Tribute, and another great instrument.

Last edited by RickRS; 10-01-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespearouac View Post
unless u REALLY want any kind of whammy bar, i recommend against, even if the guitar seems "perfect" for u — BECAUSE of increased intonation and tuneability issues.
What are these intonation and "tuneability" issues? I don't understand.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
What are these intonation and "tuneability" issues? I don't understand.
I have a Tribute Legacy with the dual fulcrum vibrato and have zero tuning/intonation issues. I don't use the tremolo arm, but do occasionally use my palm to work the trem a bit.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:05 AM

Finding a guitar available in your price range plug it in and see how it sound and feel, you will be pleased what is out there just play as many as you can find, good hunting.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:28 AM

I own (& gig with) 3 Squiers and a G&L.

2 of the Squiers are Vintage Modified models - a 72 Thinline Tele and a Strat. One is an Affinity that I put a fully loaded pickguard loaded with Alnico 5 pickups on. The thinline is a remarkable instrument. Period. B stock for 3 bills.

The VM Strat has Duncan "designed" p'ups and it extremely well built with great feel. $175 used w/case.

There is less than $120 in the Affinity.

My G&L is an Ascari with P90's and is a great guitar and plays like butter.

I have also owned a G&L Bluesboy and found the neck HB to be dull and muddy.

You truly can find steals (especially right now) on used stuff. The VM Squiers are much better than you'd expect and can be found pretty easily. The Classic Vibe stuff sells too high for used in my area, but are pretty affordable new.

I would wait for a G&L ASAT Tribute as SDOTD or search for a used VM Squier. Stay away from the Bullet line. Affinity's are not bad starter guitars but don't pay more than 80-90 bucks for one used. They are everywhere and cheap.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-06-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerp View Post
I have a Tribute Legacy with the dual fulcrum vibrato and have zero tuning/intonation issues. I don't use the tremolo arm, but do occasionally use my palm to work the trem a bit.
Right. Intonation has nothing to do with having a whammy bar or not. I don't know what "tuneability" means. It's certainly true that big bends and significant whammy use can present tuning stability problems if you set the bridge to float, but I always deck mine and have never had any (as in no) problems.

These are things to be aware of but not to make someone autimatically avoid a "perfect" guitar with trem.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you can swing a few extra bucks this one's an easy transition for an acoustic player: best QC you're going to find in this price bracket, feels/plays/sounds as good as the Professional Series at three times the price (and better than many of the vintage Brooklyn originals - I own examples of both), and you can't beat the Stephen Stills/Neil Young '59 Falcon vibe - or the price:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gr...r-114947707.gc

I have this exact guitar (well, same model, color, etc.) and I love it! Great quality and sound. I find myself playing it more than my HD-28V.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-07-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespearouac View Post
I disagree. I have no issues with my Bigsby-equipped Gretsch G5420TG.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Marty
here's a thread I did last winter on a $119($126 with tax, free shipping) Squier Bullet Tele. Amazing guitar, unbelievable for the price.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579529

I can't remember why, but when I researched, the Bullet series vs the Affinity, the Bullet came out on top for many reasons. I can't recall exacts, but lower cost, I think the Bullet can use standard USA Fender parts whereas the Affinity has some fit issues-but you can find all that with easy research.

I was very blown away with this Bullet. And I have a USA PRS and USA Fender 70's A0 Tele in the house also.

I've found every Indonesia built instrument to be very well fit and finished. This includes from Fender, PRS, and other name brands. Not always so thrilled with the made in china instruments(I do setups for local kids and folks with low income).

good luck
d
Old 10-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Lot of pull for the Strat style and probably due to stating Squier from the get to. I have been a Strat player over for years and still have an EBMM Cutlass. Recently the LP got my attention, I'll spare the story. The short of it, love the Tribute I purchased except for the keeping in tune part which I am working on resolving. I haven't had my hands on a newer LP Epiphone but for 500.00 you could be looking at them. Whichever you end up with, you'll GAS for another you can bet so don't despair on making your decision. Can't go wrong with the one that feels right.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Lot of pull for the Strat style and probably due to stating Squier from the get to. I have been a Strat player over for years and still have an EBMM Cutlass. Recently the LP got my attention, I'll spare the story. The short of it, love the Tribute I purchased except for the keeping in tune part which I am working on resolving. I haven't had my hands on a newer LP Epiphone but for 500.00 you could be looking at them. Whichever you end up with, you'll GAS for another you can bet so don't despair on making your decision. Can't go wrong with the one that feels right.
Not to go OT (but I will), I saw your other post regarding your Tribute's tuning issues ever after you had it setup by a pro. Many times Les Paul tuning issues stem from the nut not being properly cut. I'd have that looked at again before putting on new tuners. Also double check the intonation. I'm guessing both have already been looked at but just in case.

The Les Paul Tribute is a great guitar.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Not to go OT (but I will), I saw your other post regarding your Tribute's tuning issues ever after you had it setup by a pro. Many times Les Paul tuning issues stem from the nut not being properly cut. I'd have that looked at again before putting on new tuners. Also double check the intonation. I'm guessing both have already been looked at but just in case.

The Les Paul Tribute is a great guitar.
Thanks Dru! It's a 60 mile drive to the repair shop but I'll work it in. He did say he made some slight modifications to the nut already.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:33 AM

Default Squier Classic Vibe

Find a used Squire Classic Vibe. I have 6 electrics (most are customs) and my 2010 CV is still one of my faves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDF2D4F6-E482-407C-B1C6-2B96638FFA35.jpg (26.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM

I play my 4 Custom Vibe Strats, MIC. There all great craftsmanship and good PUs. I leveled and crowned all of them since most new guitars have proud frets. Any way you might try one out and see if you like the thinner neck on these. I love the neck.
I've heard good and bad about the 2nd generation CVs but they did change some specs in 2019 from the MIC version. I like RW fretboards so mine are MIC. there worth the 300 to $350 there going for nowdays. Might find one cheaper on Craigs. Bottom line there all you need to have fun or play professionally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars