The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-19-2020, 11:54 PM

Default Grover style (Rotomatic) tuner button replacement

I just bought generic Grover Rotomatic style replacement tuner buttons, to replace the stock metal Yamaha buttons on an F345SY TBS. I had accidentally polished off a lot of the original gold tone and found these $10 replacements on eBay. They actually shipped 7 buttons, even though the description was for 6, which is nice.

It was a simple job. Remove the original screw, swap the button and rethread the existing screw. I think it looks good! Especially compared to the half silver half gold tone buttons I had on before.

I wiped down the metal threads, placed a tiny drop of oil on the thread, re-wiped, and then screwed the tuner back on tight.

I think I might have tried to crank down the screw more than I needed to, but don't think I did any damage.

How tight or loose should the screw be? Should I have oiled it, or would nothing, or Loc Tight have been better?

BTW.. the saddle is bone from MacNichol and the bridge pins are bone from Bob Colosi. The nut is still white plastic, but is close enough in color to the bone parts on the guitar, that I'm not going to bother replacing it (I'd probably need a pro to do it, or to invest in more tools).

For the $50 I spent to buy a grimy, dusty old guitar, I think she cleaned up well and plays just as nice!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2020, 04:48 AM

That same screw controls the 'drag' or 'tension' as you turn the tuner - I like to remove all strings on a string change and turn each tuner a few times - if I find I can spin them a little too easily I just hold the button and tighten up that screw a touch to firm them up.

They look great too by the way!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair