The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Mr. Jelly,
If I was Chuck Berry or Maybelle Carter, then I wouldn’t be asking for helpful suggestions.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Folkrocket;

To me, it's a question of my technique.

I play with a flatpick, between thumb and forefinger, then I use the other three fingers on my picking hand to both fingerpick and grab clusters of notes from different chord shapes...

Obviously, if I "dig in" hard at all with the flatpick, the bare flesh/nails on those other three fingers are a lot less prominent than that flatpicked note (s). Over the decades I've bene employing this technique/style (found out about 15 years n that it's called "hybrid" picking? Glad someone named it!), I have managed to be ore aggressive with those fingernails and a bit less aggressive with the flatpick.

Took a lot of "paying attention" to get there, but I am in control of my hands, after all! Worht the effort, too...

Now if I'm chording/strumming a tune and want to fill with a single-note line, it's very natural for me to balance those two sounds. My pick is a Blue Chip TP-1R 50, and it has a nice fat tone to the edge of it, when I want that.

Sure, you can buy a pedal or a boost or try to compensate "strumming too hard / flatpicking too soft", but the easy thing to do would be to teach yourself how to do it. A big bonus to learning this technique/balance is that you will do it, even when you're NOT "plugging in"... balance is a very good thing!

When I plug in and play (Bose L1 Model II), there's quite a different dynamic to the sound (which I LOVE from that Bose rig!). Sounds are quite a bit more 'in your face" out of the Bose; where unplugged, there's a soft compression to the guitar volume and tone. I have to modify my style to accommodate that difference... keep my fretting hand a bit softer, and REALLY watch my picking hand's dynamics and attack... too light and it sounds kinda wimpy, too heavy and ... it's just too much. Keep working it and you'll
get it...

I really think it's more of a learning process than a "buy a pedal" thing... but I wish you great success, however you go with it!

(And Silly had a great tip for you... start by sticking in a few runs and fills while a song's in progress. Get good at having those two chord/note approach balance, and there's a path right there to get you where you want to go...)
Jseth,

Thank you for the comments. Along with what Silly had to say, I’ve got a lot to think about.
I’m rethinking the whole pedal thing.
Again, Thank You.
John
Old 10-25-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Cool Think?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkrocket View Post
Jseth,

Thank you for the comments. Along with what Silly had to say, I’ve got a lot to think about.
I’m rethinking the whole pedal thing.
Again, Thank You.
John
You are very welcome!

Not a lot to think about here, though; just BEGIN. Playing guitar is not a 'one and done" process, it's gonna morph and change and grow as you grow on the instrument.

If you want to find the balance for your playing, just keeping thinking that and listening for it as you go. Experiment and find what works for you!

There are no rules, really, and believe me, the human "machine" is an INCREDIBLY precise unit... most players can feel the difference between an 11 high E string and a 12, very easily...

Adjusting minute amounts of applied pressure will be a piece of cake!

Let us know how it goes for you! have fun with this; you're gonna find a ew style of play for you... I assume you play because you love music and the guitar... so enjoy the journey!

This is definitely one of those "GET TO" not "GOT TO" items in life...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mr. Jelly,
If I was Chuck Berry or Maybelle Carter, then I wouldn’t be asking for helpful suggestions.
Pardon me. I guess I was suggesting that you might look into their style of playing guitar to learn how the transition is accomplished.

Most all the greats have high praise for Chuck Berry. One of the main reasons is because of his guitar style transitioning to a guitar break. They all learned it and use it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-27-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Pardon me. I guess I was suggesting that you might look into their style of playing guitar to learn how the transition is accomplished.

Most all the greats have high praise for Chuck Berry. One of the main reasons is because of his guitar style transitioning to a guitar break. They all learned it and use it.
Mr. Jelly,
Apparently I misunderstood what you were suggesting.
I never listened much to Maybelle Carter and not much more to Chuck Berry!
I'll have to give them both a listen.
Any particular songs by either of them to recommend?
And Thank You.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mr. Jelly,
Apparently I misunderstood what you were suggesting.
I never listened much to Maybelle Carter and not much more to Chuck Berry!
I'll have to give them both a listen.
Any particular songs by either of them to recommend?
And Thank You.
What I'd recommend is to look at some YouTube lessons of their styles and try to apply it to the lead breaks in the songs you like to play.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification