The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-28-2022, 11:41 AM
Guest 33123

Default let's talk attenuators!

Hi guys,

I have 20/4w Marshall SC-20C amp. I like the master on 6 but with my tinnitus I just can't do that anymore so I was looking at attenuators. Interested in the Weber 50w MiniMass.

Thoughts? Turning down is a viable option but then I'm not getting that nice power tube interaction.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-28-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:13 PM

Hey Doug, i just recently left some info on the MiniMASS in the thread “Its such a nice surprise…”you might find helpful. Attenuators go for $150 to thousands of dollars, but for home use and small club use, aside from the treble suck the mini mass does everything it needs, at least for me.
All the best,
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 05-28-2022 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 05-28-2022, 01:13 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks Frank! Do you find you use the treble boost?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-28-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Thanks Frank! Do you find you use the treble boost?
Hey Doug,
Yes, the 3 and 6 decibel toggle boost comes in handy. But every guitar and pick up combo is different. So your experiences may vary. I find that the MM absorbs alot of treble.

Also, the better you know your amp, the more musical the resulting tone will be through the Mini Mass. For example, if your amp really sings at 7 on the volume, 5 on gain and 8 on master volume, but is brutally loud, that would be the setting running into the attenuator. The mini mass makes it musical at talking volume.
Your ears stay happy!

Again, this MiniMass is at the very lower end price wise in the attenuator market, but for what i do with it, it works for me YMMV

Also, spend the few extra bucks and have them install the headphone jack. You can play whisper quiet thru phones getting killer saturated tubular tone!

That’s my story and im sticking with it!
All the best,
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 05-28-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:21 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks again Frank.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:50 AM

Hey Doug, I've never used an attenuator before but in that price range I'd look at the Weber that Frank (Chickee ^) has. Not sure where to buy it in Canada though.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:53 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Doug, I've never used an attenuator before but in that price range I'd look at the Weber that Frank (Chickee ^) has. Not sure where to buy it in Canada though.
Hi Dru,

I was able to order one from the Weber website. That Reverb video imbedded in the miniMass page really knocked me out so I went for it!
Old 05-29-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi Dru,

I was able to order one from the Weber website. That Reverb video imbedded in the miniMass page really knocked me out so I went for it!
Great! Looking forward to your review.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Great! Looking forward to your review.
Yes! Me too Doug.

I had an opportunity to speak with the late Ted Weber’s son, T.A. Weber. He was terrific, giving me insight into the speaker industry as well as the other electronics they produce. An all around nice company to do business with.

Best of luck with your purchase, Doug!
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 05-29-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:18 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks Frank!
Old 06-08-2022, 05:58 AM
Guest 33123

Quick review: miniMASSIVE! I'm now running the Marshall on the 20w setting with master on 6 and preamp on 5 and TMBP where I usually have them. The miniMASS treble boost is on 3dB. Delicious power tube grind at family friendly volume levels. I no longer need to use the pre and my OD pedals for my overdrive/distorted tone, all from the power tubes now. I just use the ODs for solos when overdriven or for some drive when playing clean. Very happy so far.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-08-2022 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:16 AM
Guest 33123

P.S. I had some aggravating problems with DHL on the shipment but T.A. and the Weber team (and I) got on it and got it delivered. Excellent customer service! Nice job guys!

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-08-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:57 AM

Hey J-Doug I didn’t remember to ask you if you had them put in the headphone jack and volume knob, and/or add the line-out volume box to your purchase?

You seem genuinely happy with the results of the MiniMASS. Me too, I couldn’t be happier.

I have to ask the folks at Weber if the line out box is a true bypass line with no effect attached or the corrected tube sound. I would like to try it through my Bose S1pros and see what the result is.

Keep enjoying your MM! I’m sure your family, as does mine, loves it as much as you do!😂😹😂

frank
Old 06-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Hey J-Doug I didn’t remember to ask you if you had them put in the headphone jack and volume knob, and/or add the line-out volume box to your purchase?

You seem genuinely happy with the results of the MiniMASS. Me too, I couldn’t be happier.

I have to ask the folks at Weber if the line out box is a true bypass line with no effect attached or the corrected tube sound. I would like to try it through my Bose S1pros and see what the result is.

Keep enjoying your MM! I’m sure your family, as does mine, loves it as much as you do!😂😹😂

frank
Thanks! I did not add any additional options. Not a fan of headphones while playing and I wouldn't get much use out of a line out or relay switching at this stage.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:11 AM

Doug, sounds like a great purchase. I take it that it was ordered from Weber from the US and shipped to Canada?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars