The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: best acoustic multi pedal?
TRex Soulmate 19 24.36%
Boss AD-10 15 19.23%
TCH Play Acoustic 19 24.36%
Trace Elliot Transit A 4 5.13%
Fishman Tonedeq 11 14.10%
Tech21 Acoustic Fly Rig 10 12.82%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2019, 03:54 AM

I would add the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and LR Baggs Venue DI if you are focused on only Acoustic Pre Amps. Both have DI's and most importantly parametric EQ. I would go with the Fishman of these two personally.

HOWEVER - I led music (primarily on acoustic) at Church with a Line 6 multi-effects floor pedal for many, many years. There is an enormous amount of flexibility when it comes to pre-amps, eq's, effects, etc. If you go this route, choose one that has XLR's out. Some of an XLR in for a vocal mic. Most have a true acoustic pre-amp as one of the amp options. You can use this or turn off the amp section and only use EQ and effects if you want it pure. If you play electric at all, you will appreciate having such a flexible multieffects box. But it can absolutely stand on it's own if you only play acoustic. The Helix Stomp, Helix LT, or 500X are good options.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 AM

The Venue DI is really just an EQ. It has none of the effects that the others here do (reverb, chorus, etc) so it really doesn't belong in this comparison.
The Platinum Pro is also mostly an EQ, but it does have compression. Both excellent products but for different needs/purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
I would add the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and LR Baggs Venue DI if you are focused on only Acoustic Pre Amps. Both have DI's and most importantly parametric EQ. I would go with the Fishman of these two personally.

HOWEVER - I led music (primarily on acoustic) at Church with a Line 6 multi-effects floor pedal for many, many years. There is an enormous amount of flexibility when it comes to pre-amps, eq's, effects, etc. If you go this route, choose one that has XLR's out. Some of an XLR in for a vocal mic. Most have a true acoustic pre-amp as one of the amp options. You can use this or turn off the amp section and only use EQ and effects if you want it pure. If you play electric at all, you will appreciate having such a flexible multieffects box. But it can absolutely stand on it's own if you only play acoustic. The Helix Stomp, Helix LT, or 500X are good options.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The Venue DI is really just an EQ. It has none of the effects that the others here do (reverb, chorus, etc) so it really doesn't belong in this comparison.

The Platinum Pro is also mostly an EQ, but it does have compression. Both excellent products but for different needs/purposes.

Good point - agreed.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:16 PM

I'm surprised neither of these two have been mentioned yet..... no one has either?
Zoom AC-2
Zoom AC-3
Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 PM

The HX Stomp didn’t make the list either.
I guess there are more out there than we can account for.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I'm surprised neither of these two have been mentioned yet..... no one has either?
Zoom AC-2
Zoom AC-3
Especially since AGF.

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 04-14-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Especially since AGF.

Haven't found a reason yet to upgrade from my Zoom A3. Would be interested to know anyone's experience upgrading from Zoom A3 to the AC-3
Old 04-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Pedal should have: reverb, chorus, compressor, delay and possibly loop (optional)
The T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic has everything listed (including the looper) and each one is very high quality. It’s built like a tank and as a bonus it also has the best built-in tuner that I’ve come across. I’ll normally go thru at least 3 different tunings during my gigs and this tuner is quick and precise! I’ve had the Venue and Fishman Platinum Pro and their tuners are crap in comparison. The delay also has a tap-tempo footswitch which I believe is a must in using delay.

The looper has 5 minutes of recording time with start and stop buttons, crucial for live gigging and works flawlessly and excellently. I also have the TCH Play Acoustic but found the looper inadequate for gigging as it only has 40 seconds of recording time and you have to change the functionality of the buttons via sub menus which isn’t practical in a live situation when you need to do things on the fly. You have enough things to think about and don’t want to also have to worry about your recording time running out. The only weakness is the location of the SA’s looper, making it awkward to use standing up—Barefoot Buttons (or similar) are a necessity and will make it easier to use.

The SA also has a boost switch (great for taking solos or switching from strumming to fingerpicking) and a sensitivity button for active or passive pickups.

It’s strength also lies in controlling feedback. Not only does it have a phase button as well as an auto feedback buster switch, but it also has a 3-band fully parametric eq section (which I’ve never seen on a multi-effect pedal).

I gig for a living 5 nights a week and the SA is an indispensable tool for me. It has replaced my large pedal board.

Last edited by Kalani; 04-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Another + for the Zoom A3.
And another +1 for Zoom A3
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Thank You. That's a strong endorsement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
The T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic has everything listed (including the looper) and each one is very high quality. It’s built like a tank and as a bonus it also has the best built-in tuner that I’ve come across. I’ll normally go thru at least 3 different tunings during my gigs and this tuner is quick and precise! I’ve had the Venue and Fishman Platinum Pro and their tuners are crap in comparison. The delay also has a tap-tempo footswitch which I believe is a must in using delay.

The looper has 5 minutes of recording time with start and stop buttons, crucial for live gigging and works flawlessly and excellently. I also have the TCH Play Acoustic but found the looper inadequate for gigging as it only has 40 seconds of recording time and you have to change the functionality of the buttons via sub menus which isn’t practical in a live situation when you need to do things on the fly. You have enough things to think about and don’t want to also have to worry about your recording time running out. The only weakness is the location of the SA’s looper, making it awkward to use standing up—Barefoot Buttons (or similar) are a necessity and will make it easier to use.

The SA also has a boost switch (great for taking solos or switching from strumming to fingerpicking) and a sensitivity button for active or passive pickups.

It’s strength also lies in controlling feedback. Not only does it have a phase button as well as an auto feedback buster switch, but it also has a 3-band fully parametric eq section (which I’ve never seen on a multi-effect pedal).

I gig for a living 5 nights a week and the SA is an indispensable tool for me. It has replaced my large pedal board.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM

Kalani and others
is there an external button that will allow looper in T Rex to be left record and right stop like most other two button loopers?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 PM

If this poll had been taken a year ago I too would have voted for the Zoom A3. However, I've moved to the Boss AD-10 so I voted for it.

Personally I feel it's a great time since there are so many great pedals to choose from.

Best,
PJ
Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM

My choice is coming down to the AD-10 or the Soulmate. The Play Acoustic is getting a lot of votes, but it doesn't do much for the acoustic tone of your guitar...it's mostly a voice effects unit. The AD-10 and the Soulmate both sound like winners to me. Very difficult to pick between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
If this poll had been taken a year ago I too would have voted for the Zoom A3. However, I've moved to the Boss AD-10 so I voted for it.

Personally I feel it's a great time since there are so many great pedals to choose from.

Best,
PJ
Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Brokenpretzel: Not that I know of. It wasn’t difficult to adapt though and now I actually prefer having the record/play button on the right. I was using the Ditto X2 (which is a great simple looper) before the t-Rex; you get used to it pretty quick.

But the location of it makes it tricky to use standing up as you basically have to balance on one foot to reach the buttons. I started using the Ditto X2 (and my old pedal board) in duos or trios requiring me to stand where precision and timing with others are more critical.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:24 AM

thanks Kalani

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification