The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-19-2022, 10:17 PM

Default Phil Ochs/Simon & Garfunkel - "Let's Sing Out"(Canada/1965-66)

The Joni Mitchell post here in "Open Mic" exposed me to these performances. Thank you!

I probably wouldn't have followed a lot of Ochs politics (I'm a-political), but I love this live performance. Playing a J50 w/rosewood saddle - it's how I found it. See my signature - the Val Dez has a similar rosewood saddle. Incredible sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPFl8pOx9Zo

As for the Simon & Garfunkel segment, I was looking into different fingerpick combos, and saw Paul Simon's fingerpicks. Same show/different episode - only four episodes on Youtube. Talk about "coincidence" - or is it "serendipity"?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9ATbLE72I

Enjoy!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-20-2022, 01:37 AM

Thanks for posting this. Phil Ochs is one of my favourite ever songwriters. He wrote so many wonderful songs, a few of which are here. This clip also shows what a lovely voice he had.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

You can't separate Phil from his politics and the politics of the time. Phil was a broadside singer. When he read something in the New York Times and write a song about it. This being a ''no-politics'' forum, it's pretty hard to say much about him.

He was our guy. He sang what we were feeling. And I was devastated by his death.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Wow, Paul Simon with his vaunted D-18. What a find!
Old 05-25-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfile100 View Post
Wow, Paul Simon with his vaunted D-18. What a find!
And using the fingerpicks!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-25-2022, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I found watching Simon and Garfunkel very interesting with Paul playing that D-18 and using those plastic finger picks, the same picks I used when I began learning the guitar in 1964; I used those same picks and the same playing technique for the next 20 years after that.

That style of strumming that Paul Simon uses with the thumb pick on the down stroke and the index finger finger pick coming back on the upstroke is the way I originally learned to strum. I still use that technique today at times, but it's not very common anymore. I saw John Denver using that same approach years ago. I learned this approach from an instruction book from Bob Gibson on how to play the 12-string.

- Glenn
Old 05-26-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I found watching Simon and Garfunkel very interesting with Paul playing that D-18 and using those plastic finger picks, the same picks I used when I began learning the guitar in 1964; I used those same picks and the same playing technique for the next 20 years after that.

That style of strumming that Paul Simon uses with the thumb pick on the down stroke and the index finger finger pick coming back on the upstroke is the way I originally learned to strum. I still use that technique today at times, but it's not very common anymore. I saw John Denver using that same approach years ago. I learned this approach from an instruction book from Bob Gibson on how to play the 12-string.

- Glenn
Good eye. What a priceless piece of folk-music history, hey?! I'm from NY, living now in Alberta. Simon & Garfunkel always bring me back "home" to the Big Apple.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-30-2022, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Good eye. What a priceless piece of folk-music history, hey?! I'm from NY, living now in Alberta. Simon & Garfunkel always bring me back "home" to the Big Apple.
Yes, S&G were so much a living symbol of New York City. I think of "Feeling Groovy" or "The 59th Street Bridge Song."

I sure loved their music growing up. I grew up in the greater Cleveland, OH area, but learned to play much of their music while a college engineering student at Purdue U. in W. Lafayette, IN. Their music was such a great combination of poetry and harmony and intricate guitar playing.

After almost 60 years of guitar playing I can play and sing most anything that S&G did during their run of albums, but while I was learning at 18-22 years of age, I could have never imagined how much I would have to learn. I wish I knew then what I know now, at least about guitar playing. (This is my Paul Simon Playlist from my YouTube channel.)

Sounds a little like a Bob Seeger song, doesn't it? ("I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then..." from "Against the Wind.")

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN