The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I play sort of a jazzy pop fingerstyle, and do a lot of basslines with my thumb. I have quite a few old jazz standards and Nat King Cole songs with walking bass, and while they sound fine on a guitar amp or an S1, the sub of the 30M or 50M really brings out the bass lines. It adds a power and authority to the sound of the guitar which I really like. It does this even at the softest of volumes.
Makes sense.
I use a mixer to boost my bottom on the S1. I don’t really find I need it that much though.
In fact, when I use my J45 with K &K’s I use a Fire Eye preamp to control the bottom because it’s too much.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-25-2022, 05:44 PM

I called EV Tech support and they said the short pole is not for the EV30. They said something like the electronics don't match up correctly. If it worked properly I can't see why EV would market it only for the EV50, losing sales in the process.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Thank you so much, Scott. I am an avid fan of your video productions concerning gear. You are definitely the Bose S1 maven and I take your recommendations and cautionary tales very seriously. It is a tremendous time saver for me not having to learn everything the hard way. Thank you again.
frank d.
You're so very welcome, Frank! I love reading this as this is what AGF is all about - the sharing of knowledge and personal experience. Many here have shared their experiences with guitars and gear which has helped me immensely in my pursuits and I vowed early on that if I ever had opinions worth sharing I would do whatever I could to help others make decisions that work for them!
Old 05-25-2022, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I called EV Tech support and they said the short pole is not for the EV30. They said something like the electronics don't match up correctly. If it worked properly I can't see why EV would market it only for the EV50, losing sales in the process.
Companies do strange things.

It's good to be cautious about such things, but in addition to some users here saying they use the short column on the 30m, there's this from the manual (I didn't know it was in the 30m manual until I noticed a comment on this question on Amazon)--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg short pole.jpg (17.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-25-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Companies do strange things.

It's good to be cautious about such things, but in addition to some users here saying they use the short column on the 30m, there's this from the manual (I didn't know it was in the 30m manual until I noticed a comment on this question on Amazon)--

I was just about to post the same 30M manual screenshot. Yes, it is mentioned some other places as well that I can’t remember.

In any case, I just tried it today and it works fine. The poles from the 30M and 50M are interchangeable electric connection-wise. There might be a difference in load-bearing capacity, but the socket size and connections are definitely exactly the same.

My guess is that the tops and bottoms would work interchangeably as well, since they are the same amp specs. Not that there is any reason to do this.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:37 PM

Since I'm always game for an experiment, have a 30M and short post heading my way. Very curious to see how I bond with it. I had a QSC digital mixer awhile back and just hated it. The single piece solution (with phone app) should simplify some things. I'll likely still keep the Udo for small gigs as that thing is pretty loud and less than 20 lbs. But for the outdoor wine bar thing, the 30M may be perfect as long as I can hear myself. Worse case I can use IEM feed from the Play Acoustic.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-26-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Since I'm always game for an experiment, have a 30M and short post heading my way. Very curious to see how I bond with it. I had a QSC digital mixer awhile back and just hated it. The single piece solution (with phone app) should simplify some things. I'll likely still keep the Udo for small gigs as that thing is pretty loud and less than 20 lbs. But for the outdoor wine bar thing, the 30M may be perfect as long as I can hear myself. Worse case I can use IEM feed from the Play Acoustic.

I have an Elite Acoustics D6-58, so I completely understand your love affair with a high quality amp for small gigs.

My original plan was just to get an a sub/column type speaker to send the wonderful sound of my amp out to a larger audience, but with the 30M what I found was that it sounded absolutely fine on its own, and that there was no reason for the redundancy.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have an Elite Acoustics D6-58, so I completely understand your love affair with a high quality amp for small gigs.

My original plan was just to get an a sub/column type speaker to send the wonderful sound of my amp out to a larger audience, but with the 30M what I found was that it sounded absolutely fine on its own, and that there was no reason for the redundancy.
I don't anticipate taking the Udo on a gig where I have the 30m (eg outdoor stuff). I can think of using the Udo indoors for smaller rooms where the 30m would be overkill. I'll have to get it in-hand to get a better understanding for where/when it'll fit best. I'm all about optimizing my live rigs for quick load-in/out and the 30m certainly is a plus on that account.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-26-2022, 03:24 PM

The other thing a small amp like my D6-58 or your Udo is absolutely wonderful for is tying into a house PA system. I’m not really that into trying to figure out random soundboards, but plugging my amp line outs into a set of powered speakers, or into a channel of a soundboard set flat with all the aux sends turned down is a very workable way to good sound with almost no setup!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification