The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-25-2022, 10:57 AM

Default Extremely tasteful guitar backing

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Stumbled on this video last night, and had it on in the background but the guitar work gradually made me focus on what was going on.

Suzanne Vega is, of course, brilliant, but her backing guitarist here is just phenomenal. He's using a PRS with a piezo onboard and simultaneously getting some 'acoustic' sounds, as well as bass (via a Boss octaver on poly mode) and electric tones... all at once, in places. And he's doing it without overshadowing Suzanne or being in any way busy.

After the first two songs, Suzanne puts her Furch down and all of the instrumentation is coming from just the guitar player. It's brilliant.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-09-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Indeed electric often gets a bad rap because too many players literally go power mad.

The mark of a really of good electric guitar player, is knowing how to compliment the performance not show off with volume blasting or speed riffs

BTW That is a really pretty PRS

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-09-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

The mark of a really of good electric guitar player, is knowing how to compliment the performance not show off with volume blasting or speed riffs
Agreed. One of my favourite electric players is Anthony Da Costa, who, as well as performing as a solo artist, has toured with both Aoife O'Donovan and Sarah Jarosz as an accompanist. He knows just when to settle back into the mix and when to give it just that little bit more:

Old 06-23-2022, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

One of the things I appreciate about this forum, is that singers and players are brought up that make me loop back and listen to songs and playing that I have never appreciated fully, if at all. Thanks for posting this.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Agreed. One of my favourite electric players is Anthony Da Costa, who, as well as performing as a solo artist, has toured with both Aoife O'Donovan and Sarah Jarosz as an accompanist. He knows just when to settle back into the mix and when to give it just that little bit more:

I really enjoyed this performance! The electric player is very good and does a great job on harmony, too. I also really enjoy Aoife O'Donovan's singing.

And the drummer, too, is very subtle. It's super cool to see them all in service of the song like this!

Thanks for this!

- Glenn
Old 06-23-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Indeed electric often gets a bad rap because too many players literally go power mad.

BTW That is a really pretty PRS
A good guitar player knows what to play.

A great guitar player knows what NOT to play.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I really enjoyed this performance! The electric player is very good and does a great job on harmony, too. I also really enjoy Aoife O'Donovan's singing.

And the drummer, too, is very subtle. It's super cool to see them all in service of the song like this!

Thanks for this!

- Glenn
If you enjoyed that, I can't recommend highly enough the album she did with this trio: 'Man In A Neon Coat: Live in Cambridge'. I caught the tour with them in the UK in early 2016 before it was recorded and was blown away. Anthony is also a really lovely guy to talk to about guitars - he's a Collings endorser and is just as good on his WL-12.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
If you enjoyed that, I can't recommend highly enough the album she did with this trio: 'Man In A Neon Coat: Live in Cambridge'. I caught the tour with them in the UK in early 2016 before it was recorded and was blown away. Anthony is also a really lovely guy to talk to about guitars - he's a Collings endorser and is just as good on his WL-12.
Great recommendation. I will check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN