The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-19-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Default E shape question

I have to do some work on barre chords, because I basically do not play them. Even my teacher encouraged me to use the thumb-over (for fingerstyle), which I can do, though it does throw off my fingers (yet another thing to work on).

So to get my mind wrapped around the concept, should I switch to the barre form of E (fingers 2, 3 and 4) when forming an open E chord. Seems to me that it makes sense to do that since the problem I have with barre chords is not the barre, but aways thinking how I have to form the E with differerent fingers.
Any downside for make that my default E form for open chords?
Much obliged as always.
David
Old 05-19-2022, 11:50 AM

Many open chords have alternate fingerings.

I know four different ways to finger an open A, although I only ever use one way.

I know at least seven different ways to finger an open G, and regularly use three of them depending on song context. That is to say what chord I'm coming from before, what chord I'm going to after, and what chord embellishments & ornaments I plan to use.

Finger the open E however you want. Your reason for fingering it with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers is as good a reason as any for fingering a chord a particular way.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-19-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I have to do some work on barre chords, because I basically do not play them. Even my teacher encouraged me to use the thumb-over (for fingerstyle), which I can do, though it does throw off my fingers (yet another thing to work on).

So to get my mind wrapped around the concept, should I switch to the barre form of E (fingers 2, 3 and 4) when forming an open E chord. Seems to me that it makes sense to do that since the problem I have with barre chords is not the barre, but aways thinking how I have to form the E with differerent fingers.
Any downside for make that my default E form for open chords?
Much obliged as always.
David
You could try to stop thinking about it as an E chord (with a different fingering) per se. Until that barre chord shape becomes second nature or muscle memory, think of it as a whole new chord shape.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-19-2022, 07:37 PM

You’ll find songs in both A and E that use E7 and E6 chords as part of the melody. You need your pinky free to play those variations. Sugar Babe by Mance Lipscomb is one example.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-20-2022, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

Basically, learn to finger it both ways, so you can fret notes with your pinky, or move smoothly to a bar, as you choose deepending on the situation.

Versatility in your playing and planning a few moves ahead is the great thing to aim for.

Same thinking applies to other chord shapes. The more ways you can finger them the better. I put a little time each week into running through chords using different fingers and it really pays off in terms of overall versatility and dexterity too.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Without going into specifics, I use whatever shaping best fits with the neighboring chords, to make transitions as easy as possible. Sometimes it doesnt matter, and then I dont think about it.

I also try to keep as few rules in my playing (and life) as possible.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-20-2022, 02:19 PM

It maybe isn't necessary to use pinky and ring finger for the E shape way up at the nut, but it sure is a good thing to be comfortable with, because further down the neck, doing e shapes and other double stops and triads with the little fingers keeps your index and maybe middle finger free to fret up the neck.
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 05-20-2022, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
You’ll find songs in both A and E that use E7 and E6 chords as part of the melody. You need your pinky free to play those variations. Sugar Babe by Mance Lipscomb is one example.
OP here. David, I was thinking of that very issue after I posted.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write