The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Paul, I'll be curious to read about your results and maybe you'll unintentionally design an improved version, ha! BTW, my used TR was $55 inc. shipping, which I spent for the same reason (to see if it was truth or hype). I've had good success, esp. on my Adi tops, so I've kept it around and rotate it on my different guitars.
Will do. You got a great deal. If I could get it for that price I probably wouldn't have bothered with my monstrosity. Do the real ones allow you to keep the guitar upright on a stand?
Old 08-31-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Uh oh, the guys are TR are in trouble!!

Seriously though, this probably will work to some extent. Would only make sense.

I’m in the camp of TR users who believe it has definite positive effects, it’s just up to the individual if they think it’s worth it. For a brand new guitar I can’t recommend it enough, for a guitar that’s been gigged for a few years, might not make as noticeable a difference.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-31-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Uh oh, the guys are TR are in trouble!!

Seriously though, this probably will work to some extent. Would only make sense.

I’m in the camp of TR users who believe it has definite positive effects, it’s just up to the individual if they think it’s worth it. For a brand new guitar I can’t recommend it enough, for a guitar that’s been gigged for a few years, might not make as noticeable a difference.
Most of my guitars are used or have tops that don't need opening up but my new Ovangkol topped guitar, while sounding awesome, is a bit quiet and I think could benefit. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have no idea how much vibration the real TR produces. I can put my hand and feel vibrations on the wood so I hope it's doing something. I'll let you know after 175 hours.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:29 PM

IMG_7107.jpg

Here's mine.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Attachment 26603

Here's mine.
Hard to see what that is. Speaker? Looks like it's on top of the strings not grooved to fit. I wouldn't want music play for 175 hours. Looks like it would have to be really loud to get enough vibrations.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Will do. You got a great deal. If I could get it for that price I probably wouldn't have bothered with my monstrosity. Do the real ones allow you to keep the guitar upright on a stand?
Yes, although I currently have it on the first guitar of a 5-guitar Hercules rack, so the other four guitars get some indirect vibration too. I thought about expanding that idea to make the "Tonerite: Stand and Shake" model.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Hard to see what that is. Speaker? Looks like it's on top of the strings not grooved to fit. I wouldn't want music play for 175 hours. Looks like it would have to be really loud to get enough vibrations.
Yes, speaker. At a moderate volume it activates the strings and creates vibrations on the top. I don't necessarily believe (nor disbelieve) in the whole process, but what the heck? I'm listening to music anyway...
Old 08-31-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I meant to make a thread about this awhile ago, but if you're like me and live near a Naval Air base, you can always just leave your guitars outside in the shade and let the constant jet noise break the guitar in

Seriously, I was playing outside once and a jet flew over and I felt actual air being pumped out of the soundhole because it vibrated the top so much. Would be like a high-efficiency, airborne, occasionally-deafening Tonerite

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Stupid me, I just play mine.

Seriously though I'm curious about this.

Does it make a great guitar sound even better? Has anyone tried it on a guitar they were already satisfied with?
Is it only effective on new guitars?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

Does it make a great guitar sound even better? Has anyone tried it on a guitar they were already satisfied with?
Everybody play their guitars but if you have a new guitar I doubt you have played it for several years. I have no idea if it works but the theory is it make it sound like it's been played for years. I have been told that the greatest effect is on new guitars which would make sense in that an older guitar has already started to be played in and opened up.

I'll tell you in a couple weeks if it did anything.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

No, it doesn't make a guitar sound "better." It can help loosen up a tight guitar, but it really depends on the guitar's top, bracing, etc. It's made a significant impact on a couple of guitars, but less on others. In some of the other TR threads, some members tried it on older guitars with similar results... it really depends on the guitar, which is one reason it works for some and snake oil for others. Thinking more about it, if it's more responsive and opens up some high/low end, then yeah, maybe we can call it "better" after all.

Edit: all my guitars are newer (went through a huge buy/sell phase in 2017/2018), and eight of them have Red Spruce (Adi) tops, which seem to have the best chance of noticing an improvement.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
No, it doesn't make a guitar sound "better." It can help loosen up a tight guitar, but it really depends on the guitar's top, bracing, etc. It's made a significant impact on a couple of guitars, but less on others. In some of the other TR threads, some members tried it on older guitars with similar results... it really depends on the guitar, which is one reason it works for some and snake oil for others. Thinking more about it, if it's more responsive and opens up some high/low end, then yeah, maybe we can call it "better" after all.

Edit: all my guitars are newer (went through a huge buy/sell phase in 2017/2018), and eight of them have Red Spruce (Adi) tops, which seem to have the best chance of noticing an improvement.
I'm confused. The first part of your post says it doesn't make a guitar better and the last part says it does. On the whole, if it does what you say it might do, I would vote yes.

14 1/2 hours. 130 1/2 to go.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Attachment 26603

Here's mine.
This ... or a variation of it. You don't even have to have the speaker contact the guitar's top. You could suspend the guitar between a pair of PA loudspeakers, one in front and one in back of the guitar, and vary the SPL and frequency of the tones with which you want to bombard the guitar. My feeling is that if the speakers are hooked up tone-generator software, you could program the software to vary the frequencies and amplitude at which the guitar vibrates for any time period you want, and repeat the sequence for a long as you want. Caution: As Jack White would say, "It Might Get Loud!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-01-2019, 02:10 PM

seems like a fun post -
Thou i do own a tonerite -i think its fun to do it on the cheap
Im proud of you folks for your ingenuity !

Thou i own one it seldom sees the light of day,
its a pain in the butt -i like to just play them to open them up
Old 09-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
seems like a fun post -
Thou i do own a tonerite -i think its fun to do it on the cheap
Im proud of you folks for your ingenuity !

Thou i own one it seldom sees the light of day,
its a pain in the butt -i like to just play them to open them up
I like to play them too but am impatient to have to play them for years before they fully open up. I'm hoping this works on my new Ovangkol topped guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion