The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies...

So, I finally got a clear diagnosis from both doctors. It took an extra month to do so.

I have 'Epicondylitis humeri Ulnaris'----which is basically Golfer's Elbow.

I'm currently taking a month off of playing.

Right now I only have 12 more days left of my month break from guitar.

The plan was then after my month off I have to get back to playing because I have a gig in April.

BUT, I don't see this being healed in 12 more days. It's just a little pinch of pain at the elbow and it's slightly stiff in the morning.....but I don't think it will be completely away in 12 more days.

I'm considering calling the gig off.

Or I play through it, and deal with this again after the gig. NOt sure..
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlG View Post
I am very sorry to hear of your injury. Several years ago I damaged the Ulnar in both arms on one of my construction sites. After that, even fraction movements were indescribably painful. I tried exercises like the above, but they only intensified the pain dramatically and still do. I also attempted the towel method to keep my arms in position at night, but that was counterproductive as I fought them subconsciously in my sleep. B12 injections were of no benefit, either. I was determined not to have surgery, so for a few months I took a break from playing and lived with the blinding pain for about two years. After that the symptoms improved dramatically. I don't suggest that everyone follows my approach, but I am coping.

To this day I find that excessive typing on a physical keyboard, lifting heavy things and strong twisting motions, will bring on the pain for several days. Ibuprofen does help, but I avoid it as much as possible. I can now play normally again without pain, so long as I do so consistently. Now, taking a break for a few days means pain for several more until it dissipates.

I believe every situation is unique, but I would recommend a good break at the very onset of this type of condition. And when you start playing again try to avoid inducing vibrato with your fret hand of the arm that is injured, and excessive stretching of the fingers. Light gauge strings and detuning can also help. Further, I find it best to play standing up. Posture does make a significant difference.

I wish you well and trust that this ordeal will soon pass. I have learned to appreciate that life is worth far more than music, and that with time and patience all things are possible by grace.
Hey, Thanks Earl. I've now taken almost a month's break from playing. What's a little scary is that the pain, which luckily I only feel during certain movements, has only minimally improved. So it seems that a month or a little over won't be enough to heal it.

But, if I'm gonna do this gig in mid April I've got to start playing again soon.

I guess worst case scenario is to drop the gig, but I know I'll burn a bridge there and never get to play that venue again.

Hard decision.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Thanks for this post!!! I’ve been experiencing the same thing...even sold my SC Tony Rice. It started when I got the dread and have since gone down to 00 size. Looking forward to reading more replies!!!
I
Hi. Was wondering how is it going with your elbow problem, since we both got the same thing?

Any improvement and found something that has helped?

I've rested almost a month now from playing with little results. A slight improvement.
Tried icing, stretching, eccentric exercises, flossing, heat, creams. Not wanting to go for shots or surgeries,,,if possible.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:41 PM

How goes it with the Ulnar nerve entrapment symptoms & treatment these days? I have been diagnosed with it & learned a lot so I have started a new thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic