The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 PM

I have two favorite Taylors, but one has a better story. I first posted it here on 8-16-2003.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
My "own" signature model Taylor, a Cotten 612c, came to live with me last weekend, and I am thrilled! I waited this long to report because I've been too busy to seriously put it through its paces until this morning, and because I was hoping to post a picture illustrating the title of this thread. Maybe later.....

Back in 1995, Taylor was considering dropping the 612 line. Richard Cotten, of Cotten Music Center in Nashville, had Taylor build 100 [edit: I believe only 62 have been accounted for] special "Cotten 612s." They were such a hit that Taylor kept the 612, much to the delight of many a finger stylist.

So what's it like? Fantabulous! Start with heavily flamed maple back and sides, give it a richly silked, slightly orange sitka top, add the sharp florintine cutaway, an abalone rosette, and a custom Cotten inlay that features a cotton bole above the classic Taylor "wings" - wrap it all in a small, intimately comfortable Grand Concert body. Give it tender, loving care for eight years and you've got something very special. Send it to a guy with the same last name and it becomes, Poof! a keep it forever heirloom!

The one in my lap right now came from Kim at Cotten Music, via two other owners who must have had lots of other options. I can't tell this guitar's ever been played! It truly is one of those "mint" guitars that everyone on eBay claims to be selling.

How does it sound? Wonderfully different from my 914c. Less bass and volume, of course, but with those more than sufficient and beautifully balanced end to end. This thing sparkles! There are no electronics, so I thought at first I would quickly add a non-invasive pickup of some sort. I'm rethinking that now.

My 914 is the prefect does-everything-I-ask-beautifully work guitar. (Worship leading.) Yes, I'm extremely careful with it! But that means that I can keep the Cotten at home, just for those special times when friends come over or when I want to sit out in the swing on a warm summer's evening with a wonderful guitar and Mars peeping over my shoulder.

How does it play? It's a TAYLOR, remember? It plays like it knows what I'm thinking, smooth and comfortable as any guitar I've ever played. OOoooo, the sound it makes!

I really don't have TAS, and with two of the best possible guitars in the world for me, my immune system is in total control! As far as I know, I'm the only TGFer with his "own" Signature Series. Except maybe for that Bob guy who puts his name on the headstock of our favorite guitars, that is. But I bet even he doesn't own a Cotten!

cotten

Forgot to mention the Pink Poodle case. It wasn't in quite as nice condition - I had to wipe off a little dust to make it look brand new!

cotten - I'm reaching over it in my lap to type this now!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
As the resident Taylor "dread head" I definitely want to see some pics. Sounds like an outstanding guitar.
Will do, possibly Tues or Thurs. Doing my "fun" block at work.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Fav

Had lots of Taylors come and go / or go and come back.. Many times...
I have many now , but this 2000 Kenny Loggins Signature Model/ KLSM is my Favorite
It went and came back. Can't believe I let it go.

Original buy story from 2002. Short story, Flew to New Jersery Airport to Meet seller(TGF member way back) when he pulled it from case he put on white cotton gloves to handle it. Wow I thought I was bad!

I actually checked a Taylor box to take it back home(Indiana). Flew back to ORD. got bumped (Flying stand buy) their, so wife had to drive to pick me and guitar up up( 4 hour drive) in 6 degree temps, Hit a Coyote on way home ripped off lower plastic pan. Wife was not to happy.
Kept this #2 in series guitar for years then stupidly sold it. 1 and half year later contacted buyer and made deal to get it back. It's been back again for 7 years. I don't see it to often but when I do , It's NEW all over again.

2000 Kenny Loggins Signature Model/KLSM #2 of 100

Last edited by GTomcan; 01-09-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:21 AM

I think I have a new favorite:

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I think I have a new favorite:

I think that your new 914 has given a lot of us a new favorite guitar...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think that your new 914 has given a lot of us a new favorite guitar...
Wow, that is so nice, thanks!
I just love the tone on this guitar. It does everything so well.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 PM

One of my best friends lives in Livingston, MT. One of his best friends is a luthier and they do favors for each other all the time kind of a buddy-barter system. My friend bought a beat up old Taylor 314ce from 1991 that someone had played the heck out of it for years and then left it in their garage for one too many winters as it was completely dried out, yellowed like I'd never seen before, smelled like a cigar bar, the top was split in a couple places it had a crunch on a back edge and was ready for the kindlin pile. Well, my friend calls his luthier buddy and asks if he will fix it up as he has a friend (me) that has always said he wants a Taylor guitar. So, after the luthier, Ren Ferguson ;-) gets finished with it... she is like she had been back to Taylor and rebuilt. Looked like new even the refinished the guitar the Taylor poly finish. So, I have a Taylor guitar built by Ren Ferguson Her name is Sally from A Nightmare Before Christmas

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM

i was speaking to bob taylor at the fretboard summit and i mentioned how i liked my 712. he said we made it just for you. of course, this is the one they call the Frankenstein due to the headstock joint that you have to get a magnifying glass to see the joints. funny that it is a great sounding guitar even with that. not one person who has played it even notices it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-09-2017, 06:32 PM

My favorite Taylor is simple, it is my first (and currently only) Taylor, the 322ce 12-fret.

I played a lot of various models, and truthfully, I wasn't shopping for a new acoustic at that time. However, I happened to pick this one up and played it for probably an hour in the store. Everything just worked for me, 12-fret design, satin finish, mahogany top, slotted headstock, understated appointments, delightful playability, but most of all the fingerstyle tone was FANTASTIC. It sounds nice strummed too. The ergonomics are very similar to the flamenco guitars I also play so very easy to transition back and forth.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 PM

I owned a Taylor GS8e that was my first nice guitar. It was too bright for my taste over the years and the 1 3/4 was a little too large. I ended up selling it.

Fast forward to now and I found my dream Taylor in the new 300 series with a Mahogany top and Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. I was at a "Find your Fit" event and played a whole range of Taylors. The only one that spoke to me was a 324. It was warm, full and had that rumbling bottom end.

I went home and couldn't shake the sound. A week or two later I ordered it. Ordered it with a 1 11/16th nut. I just got it on the 29th of December and I'm in heaven.

I did a blind listening test with my wife and she swore that the new 324 was my Martin OM with spruce and rosewood.

This is one dark chocolaty Taylor! If you want a Taylor that's super warm and sticks out from the Taylor line give the new 300 series a whirl. The hog top and Tasmanian Blackwood combo is magic!

Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM

Since this is a Taylor thread. Can Taylor shave down a V neck? I love the tone of my used BTO dread. I seem to be fighting the neck because I use more of a classical thumb placement. It's not painful, so I could potentially live with it.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Since this is a Taylor thread. Can Taylor shave down a V neck? I love the tone of my used BTO dread. I seem to be fighting the neck because I use more of a classical thumb placement. It's not painful, so I could potentially live with it.
I'd be very surprised if they would. Having them do a BTO is a lot different than a BTMC (Build to My Comfort)....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if they would. Having them do a BTO is a lot different than a BTMC (Build to My Comfort)....
I had a little downtime and called the 800 number. They don't do that one. They can rebuild necks, but only to original spec. I guess I'll see if I can adapt. Didn't quite notice the neck shape at the shop. The Adirondack top sounds stellar.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I had a little downtime and called the 800 number. They don't do that one. They can rebuild necks, but only to original spec. I guess I'll see if I can adapt. Didn't quite notice the neck shape at the shop. The Adirondack top sounds stellar.
Do you live near a good luthier who might take this on???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Do you live near a good luthier who might take this on???
I don't think there are luthiers in my area. I suppose I could probably sell it here if the neck bothers me that much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion