The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
There has been some discussion in the forum lately re finger board surfacing and "drop off". I believe the entire fingerboard should play as optimally as possible, so I surface it as a piece after the neck is attached.

Here it is ready for inlay:

Hi Bruce, is the fingerboard permanently attached at this point? or just tack glued on? and what is your method for finishing up the neck to the fingerboard, do you file the neck to the fingerboard at this point? or do you trim it with a saw and then file? Looks real nice.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

It is true that I do not have an apprentice, but I do have "The Apprentice". It has been in regular service in my shop for about 15 years, probably longer.

The fixture was created, made, and marketed by Bill Schmidt. Bill retired from the effort quite a few years back now, leaving a market niche available which is far narrower than that of the luthiers themselves. Bill remains a great guy, and a fan of the community. I hope to see him in a couple of weeks at the California Bluegrass Associations annual Fathers Day Festival in Grass Valley CA. For over twenty years I have been involved in the GVBF Luthier's Pavillion where about a dozen makers show our stuff and many of us offer repair and set up services.

If that's not enough incentive to attract you, GVBF also offers four days of top of the line Bluegrass music on several stages.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Hi Bruce, is the fingerboard permanently attached at this point? or just tack glued on? and what is your method for finishing up the neck to the fingerboard, do you file the neck to the fingerboard at this point? or do you trim it with a saw and then file? Looks real nice.
In the violin world the fingerboard is temporarily tacked on the shape the neck to the the FB and the body, then removed while the finish is done else wise it would be overly challenging to finish the top under the FB. Not so on a guitar, however.

I finish the body as a unit, and the neck with the FB permanently attached as a second unit. When the finish is complete I marry the two units "permanently". Then I surface the FB which gives me a consistent surface as well as final control over the geometry.

I do not know what you are thinking about where a file and a saw might be involved. The finish extends around the neck and up the sides of the FB to the edge of the playing surface, but not onto that surface.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
In the violin world the fingerboard is temporarily tacked on the shape the neck to the the FB and the body, then removed while the finish is done else wise it would be overly challenging to finish the top under the FB. Not so on a guitar, however.

I finish the body as a unit, and the neck with the FB permanently attached as a second unit. When the finish is complete I marry the two units "permanently". Then I surface the FB which gives me a consistent surface as well as final control over the geometry.

I do not know what you are thinking about where a file and a saw might be involved. The finish extends around the neck and up the sides of the FB to the edge of the playing surface, but not onto that surface.
Gee I feel kinda dumb, what I was seeing that I thought was un trimmed neck was actually the cradle under the fingerboard....nevermind...
Old 06-03-2016, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are the inlayed FB (no longer in the doggone cradle), and the bridge about to be glued on.

Hard to take a picture of something is flat black no matter how 3 dimensional. Here is actual, and contrast tweaked in Photoshop to reveal the detail:

Old 06-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,

I find it fascinating that your unique curves and smooth edges are evident in all of your work (including your table and light fixture in the "what else do you make" thread), and even more fascinating that those aspects can be considered trademarks in the first place.

Most people strive for 10,000 hours to perfect their trade, you must have 30,000 logged in! Mucho respect!!

Dan

Last edited by nootis; 06-03-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

If my average instrument is around 100 hours, as I think, then I have something like 50,000 hours of lutherie! Way more time with the tools though, as I have done many other kinds of fine woodwork, not to mention perhaps 1000 set ups. In 50 years that's just 20 a year, and I did 3 this last week which did not seem unusual.

If I can just get away from the computer, I'll get strings on this single 0 today. Here are the (Schaller GrandTune in gold/ebony) tuners:

Old 06-06-2016, 08:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a teaser:
Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Open tuning?

Quote:
Here's a teaser:
Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Open tuning?

I'm thinking how much he's saving on strings. Brilliant!

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Gotta start somewhere. . .
Old 06-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Gotta start somewhere. . .
I'd say that's a great start! When will we hear her?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'll be shipping this guitar to Columbus, GA as soon as it's ready. Don't expect to make sound clips. It sounds as expected.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know the previous post may seem a bit abrupt, but I have found that I cannot generally make these sound clips w/o banging into stuff, and the sooner I ship after completion the less explaining I have to do. The guitar is entirely up to snuff, I swear it! I made a page on my website for it, and if you click this one last picture of the miter work you can see a bunch of pictures of the completed guitar.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-07-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

If only I could lick it! Yummm!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop