The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Default So many string sizes! So few NUT FILES...

I have 3 acoustic guitars and 1 electric. I intend to set up the acoustics for three specific uses: a) finger style, b) open tunings, c) high strung/Nashville

Each specific use involves a different set of string gauges, AND...I need to experiment to determine which guitar will best serve each specific use. The four string sets (including the electric guitar) comprise a whopping 17 string diameters:

9 = 10 = 12 = 13 = 14 = 16 = 17 = 18 = 24 = 26 = 27 = 32 = 36 = 42 = 46 = 53 = 56 =

I also have a pair of 5-string basses, but let's not go there...

For me, just a six-file set for standard light-gauge acoustic strings is expensive. But my "experiments" will require quite a few nuts be made, and I also want to experiment with even-spacing and shifting Lo-E slightly toward the fretboard edge... so I'd better learn how to make some nuts, and that means buying decent files. Yeah, my research suggests that good files is the only way to go. See this LINK at TDPRI, complete with magnified photos of files and resulting slots in Post #12.

QUESTION 1
What size slot is cut for a particular string diameter? In other words, do you typically cut a slot that is .004" larger than the string diameter?
So a .024" G string would require a .028" slot? I'm just guessing at this tolerance...please set me straight.

QUESTION 2
I intend to work on my own instruments only, so I can't afford to "equip a shop" here. Based on the string sizes listed above, can you help me reduce the number of files to the bare minimum that will accommodate all these string sizes without any side effects like buzzing or quasi-sitar tones?

I just don't know how much leeway there is in sizing the slot, in relation to the actual string diameter.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 04:04 PM

I try to keep the smaller string slots closer to their gauge, especially on electrics to prevent the "ping" you get when bending strings. With the wound strings you've got more margin. Even at that, I have the whole set of Stewmac files and my most used are 13, 16, 20, 28, 42, 46, and 56. (I also have 10, 24, 35, and 42)

For Bass, I have the 65, 85, and 105. I also have a round file from the Nicholson mini set (at Home Depot) that is almost exactly 130 for the low B.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM

I usually use the same size file for the string, or slightly larger file. You can cut a larger slot than the file by first cutting normally but then angle the file for two more cuts to widen the sides of the slot.

You will be able to cut what you need with the following files.

10 15 20 26 32 36 46 56

For one more file you can in even more accurate on the trebles by starting 10 14 18 22 26

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 AM

For decades I've done all my nut slot work with a set of five nut files - these Grobet ones which are readily available (or at least similar ones, from European or Asian manufacture) from the usual sources:

I do augment the set with a skinny kerf razor saw, like an X-Acto, but that's it.

I don't recall the exact assortment, because it doesn't matter, and it changes as files become dull and get replaced. They run from about .015 to .056 or so.

And, I don't recall the exact sizes because it's not important to have exact sizes. Ned mentioned the simple technique of widening slots in his post above.

As always, it's not about the tools. . .
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
For decades I've done all my nut slot work with a set of five nut files - these Grobet ones which are readily available (or at least similar ones, from European or Asian manufacture) from the usual sources:
I'll see your five . . . . and I'll raise you . . . seven . . .

Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM

I guess we're not on the same page - I figured the question was how few fret files would be acceptable.

I took a look at my "kit" of 5 files that serve me for any instrument I encounter, although being an acoustic guy I don't do many basses).

My files, not including the X-Acto saw, are:

In fact, I use them to the exclusion of all the others we have here in the shop. Not long ago, I riveted their handles together so they fan out like the leaves of a feeler gauge. Now, I don't have to look around for them - I just open the fan, and file away.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Not long ago, I riveted their handles together so they fan out like the leaves of a feeler gauge. Now, I don't have to look around for them - I just open the fan, and file away.
Several years ago I bought a magnetic book from a scrapbooking store to keep my files organized. I have the whole Stewmac set. That extra needle file in there is almost exactly .130" so it's perfect for the low B on 5 & 6 string basses.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Ah, I just found a couple of pix I had "filed" away -

Here's the nut file fan:

Interruptions are pretty much the only constant in my shop, and I find myself frequently needing to do nut height adjustments on the fly.

In case you're wondering, I drilled them with a metal cutting carbide drill bit, and riveted them together with a pair of spherical spring washers so they'd have an appropriate amount of friction and not flop around as I use the fan.

This little fan arrangement saves me a lot of time reaching or looking for individual files that may well have been borrowed since I last used them.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM

I use an exacto saw to mark out all 6 locations then use a knife edge file for the first two strings, a rounded fatter knife edge file for the rest of them. When you use the file you do a rolling action with your wrist to widen and round out the slot. I finish of the 5th and 6th string with a pointed round file.

They are just cheap diamond needle files you can get at a hardware store. When I started building and repairing it's all I had and have just gotten used to it, they work quite well. I'm sure a good set of real nut files is nice to have but not by any means necessary.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Exactly the point!

It's the technique, not the tools - every time!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Ah, I just found a couple of pix I had "filed" away -

Here's the nut file fan:

Interruptions are pretty much the only constant in my shop, and I find myself frequently needing to do nut height adjustments on the fly.

In case you're wondering, I drilled them with a metal cutting carbide drill bit, and riveted them together with a pair of spherical spring washers so they'd have an appropriate amount of friction and not flop around as I use the fan.

This little fan arrangement saves me a lot of time reaching or looking for individual files that may well have been borrowed since I last used them.
Hi Frank, I bought those nut files from Japarts .ca a couple of months ago, but I have the sizes 11, 16, 24, 32, 42, 54. Although mine are not fanned like that but they are each came in their own little plastic 'folder' with a hole in the top of the folder. I have a tie to keep them all together.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Has anyone tried these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-set-Lut...item5b09564718

They look cheap, but sometimes that's OK in a file.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair