The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM

Oh boy Mau. Once again, Jim has a produced another masterpiece! He's also not a bad photographer as well. The color is the pearl inlay on the neck is simply beautiful. Congratulations and best of luck with this one.

Robert
Old 11-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
That is a serious showpiece! Elegant, brilliant and beautiful. Enjoy it for years and years!!
Thanks, Mike! The pickguard probably removed $2K from the resale value -- but enjoying it for years and years is the plan indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Gorgeous. Look at that top!!! I love the treatment on the back of the headstock, too. I can't wait to hear recordings of this guy and the Petros!!!!
Thanks James. I look forward to seeing the guitars side by side. The top on this SJ looks lighter than my current Tree SJ -- but it could be the lighting.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water cooled View Post
Oh boy Mau. Once again, Jim has a produced another masterpiece! He's also not a bad photographer as well. The color is the pearl inlay on the neck is simply beautiful. Congratulations and best of luck with this one.

Robert
Thanks, Robert. I'm spoiled indeed. I'm happy with every aspect of the guitar so far -- and I'm confident it'll sound like your typical cedar top SJ.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Trying to pick myself up off the floor here. Stunning...
Stunning is right. Nobody does it better than Jim.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM

What a beauty. Do you play out much? That Olson needs to be heard.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 PM

I think you're really going to love the BRW/Cedar combo. I know your "Tree" SJ is fabulous, but the rosewood/cedar is the guitar with the sound we've all grown to love. Sort of what one epects when you listen to an Olson. I'm really excited for you and know you'll be very pleased. Can't wait for your review and of course....more photos from your camera. BTW...what are you using for a camera these days? Has to be more than a camera on your phone....right? Love your photography Mau.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
We'll hear it here (linked to SoundCloud and/or YouTube) sure I'm soon. That's much better than hearing a guitar in a live venue through a pickup or PU/mic combo. Studio mics all the way to enjoy the full force of this baby!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Stunning is right. Nobody does it better than Jim.
Indeed. I feel very fortunate to own a pair of SJs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
We'll hear it here (linked to SoundCloud and/or YouTube) sure I'm soon. That's much better than hearing a guitar in a live venue through a pickup or PU/mic combo. Studio mics all the way to enjoy the full force of this baby!
I gig with my Taylor. It has a repaired crack in the back. I also made a little dent on the top by dropping my capo on it.

Unless I won some kind of contest and found myself on stage with a big star, a properly setup guitar is all that I need. My favourite pieces stay home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water cooled View Post
I think you're really going to love the BRW/Cedar combo. I know your "Tree" SJ is fabulous, but the rosewood/cedar is the guitar with the sound we've all grown to love. Sort of what one epects when you listen to an Olson. I'm really excited for you and know you'll be very pleased. Can't wait for your review and of course....more photos from your camera. BTW...what are you using for a camera these days? Has to be more than a camera on your phone....right? Love your photography Mau.
Thanks, Robert.

I currently use a Fuji X100 camera. It has the manual dials commonly found on old-time cameras, which I find very intuitive and inspiring. It's the poor man's Leica, really.

Nikon are about to release their own version of a retro design with manual dials -- this time with a full-frame SLR. I will most likely grab one of those.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Astoundingly beautiful, Mau, but we knew it would be as soon as you showed us the Brazilian you and Jim had selected! Can't wait to hear some tunes. Thank you for sharing your guitars with us, and your guitar playing!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Wow Mau!

What a stunning guitar! Holy Cow! Just stunning! I can't wait to hear you playing it!

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Nice instrument. Jim is quite the guy. Wow!! Can't wait to hear your playing on it.

Have a great evening.

kevin.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Astoundingly beautiful, Mau, but we knew it would be as soon as you showed us the Brazilian you and Jim had selected! Can't wait to hear some tunes. Thank you for sharing your guitars with us, and your guitar playing!
Thanks, Bill. I realized it was a fine looking piece of BRW -- but I am very pleasantly surprised by how red it looks under finish. Couldn't ask for more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow Mau!

What a stunning guitar! Holy Cow! Just stunning! I can't wait to hear you playing it!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn -- I look forward to sharing some clips as well. It will be very interesting to play my two Olsons back to back in a quiet setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
Nice instrument. Jim is quite the guy. Wow!! Can't wait to hear your playing on it.

Have a great evening.

kevin.
Thanks, Kevin. Between playing the guitar and seeing the BRW in person, I'm not sure what to look forward to the most...
Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 PM

There is just nothing like an Olson...

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM

I have only played one and I bought it. I must agree they are just perfect. As Martin mastered the D-28 Jim has mastered the SJ.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM

The guitar is wonderful.

Just a few quick photos for now...

The top on my new SJ is very different from my previous one. It is more yellow in colour and has darker lines. I think it is the most gorgeous cedar top I've seen -- these pictures don't do it justice.

The classic headstock -- silver tuners and no paua...

Lastly, a few shots of this special set of BRW...

Last edited by JoeCharter; 12-02-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop