The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Default Best Method To Remove Haze From Finish

I did a neck reset on this Silvertone Harmony H621 recently, and the steam left a little haze in a couple of places on the finish.

I'm trying to figure a better way to protect the finish in the future, but for now, I need to fix the problem.

What is the best method to get rid of the haze?

Goya GG-161 1971 Model
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ― Aristophanes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 AM

If the finish isn't damaged by the steam, I've found two methods that have worked for me to dry out the vapor:

1. a bit of elbow grease applied to rubbing (somewhat vigorously but safely) the areas with a quality polish such as Virtuoso, and

2. time - my old D-18 had a water under the finish condition, and required a few weeks to dry out, regardless of any amount of vigorous rubbing.

Also, I've heard tell but can't verify that naphtha can help wick the vapor out...myth or reality I do not know.

Anyway, good luck resolving this.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Try Vasoline petroleum jelly on the haze.

Many times that will draw the moisture out from the finish. It might take 20 seconds, it might take 5-10 minutes so keep your eye on it. You don't want to leave it on too long because it can create a dark spot.

Jim McCarthy
Old 12-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
If the finish isn't damaged by the steam, I've found two methods that have worked for me to dry out the vapor:

1. a bit of elbow grease applied to rubbing (somewhat vigorously but safely) the areas with a quality polish such as Virtuoso, and

2. time - my old D-18 had a water under the finish condition, and required a few weeks to dry out, regardless of any amount of vigorous rubbing.

Also, I've heard tell but can't verify that naphtha can help wick the vapor out...myth or reality I do not know.

Anyway, good luck resolving this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck
Try Vasoline petroleum jelly on the haze.

Many times that will draw the moisture out from the finish. It might take 20 seconds, it might take 5-10 minutes so keep your eye on it. You don't want to leave it on too long because it can create a dark spot.

Jim McCarthy
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I'll try them out this afternoon, and report back here.
Goya GG-161 1971 Model
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ― Aristophanes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:16 PM

Well, I tried the naptha trick, and the petroleum jelly, and neither had any effect on the haze.

I'll try and find some Virtuoso Guitar polish, and try that. Otherwise, just let it set, and see what happens.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Goya GG-161 1971 Model
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM

It need not be the Virtuoso brand polish. You can use any relatively fine automotive polishing compound that does not contain silicone. Common, widely available brands include 3M, Maguire's and Turtle Wax, amongst others. Some of the Turtle Wax products do, If memory serves me, contain silicone.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Meguiar's Show Car Glaze contains no silicone and works well on high gloss finishes. Used to be MirrorGlaze No. 8 but they renumbered a few years back - I think it's No.7 now, but don't have my bottle handy. The abrasive is extremely fine and safe to use.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaxeman View Post
Well, I tried the naptha trick, and the petroleum jelly, and neither had any effect on the haze.

I'll try and find some Virtuoso Guitar polish, and try that. Otherwise, just let it set, and see what happens.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
My suggestion would be to use the Virtuoso Cleaner instead. They offer both the cleaner and the polish. Keep us informed - OK?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Meguiar's Show Car Glaze contains no silicone and works well on high gloss finishes. Used to be MirrorGlaze No. 8 but they renumbered a few years back - I think it's No.7 now, but don't have my bottle handy. The abrasive is extremely fine and safe to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer
My suggestion would be to use the Virtuoso Cleaner instead. They offer both the cleaner and the polish. Keep us informed - OK?
I picked up a bottle of the Virtuoso Polish yesterday. Haven't had a chance to git it a try yet. I saw the cleaner, and thought about it, but the earlier suggestion was to get the polish, so that's what I did.

I'll give it a shot as soon as I get some time to give it the attention it deserves, maybe tomorrow morning, and let everyone know the results.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Goya GG-161 1971 Model
Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Tried the Virtuoso Polish this morning. Rubbed on one spot for about 10 minutes, and no difference.

I'll get a bottle of the Virtuoso cleaner next time I'm in the guitar store. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to hope that time will heal it.
Goya GG-161 1971 Model
Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaxeman View Post
Tried the Virtuoso Polish this morning. Rubbed on one spot for about 10 minutes, and no difference.

I'll get a bottle of the Virtuoso cleaner next time I'm in the guitar store. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to hope that time will heal it.
If the Virtuoso Polish didn't do it, don't waste your money on the cleaner. See previous suggestions on rubbing/polishing compounds, which are fine abrasives. No guarantee on that solving the problem, but you've already effectively exhausted the Virtuoso solution.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 AM

it sounds like the finish has lifted away from the wood, and all the rubbing in the world wont fix that.

if it is a lacquer finish, you can get a blush remover, and it will melt the lacquer and rebond to the wood

Dave
Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 PM

I have seen some older poly finish guitars with similar whitish looking 'haze' under/in the finish. I have been told that high humidity or liquid inside that has wicked through the wood can cause this. I dont think you will be able to polish/buff it out.
IMO the steam has acted to discolour the finish from the wood/paint surface outwards.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair