The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Default My Merrill Guitars Quest

I have been intrigued by Merrill guitars since I moved to eastern Virginia about a year ago and I finally had opportunity to try to visit the shop and try out a guitar or two this week.

My quest didn't start too well as I was unable to find a website or phone number for the shop...I kept looking and looking to no avail...as I was running out of time I called a few dealers of Merrills but I wasn't able to get the information I needed.

I had a meeting for work in lovely, albeit very out of the way, Kilmarnock, VA and was determined to find his shop as I had heard it was in that little town. During my meeting I asked if anyone knew where to find the shop...they were very helpful and gave me directions to the door. They did say they thought Jim was out of town...

I drove up the road a bit to the even smaller town of Lively, VA and found the shop off the side of VA-3. Out front was a lovely sign:

A few gentle taps on the door and I was greeted by Jim Merrill's son Jordan who informed me that his father was out of town but welcomed me in to see the shop and pick a couple guitars.

He was gracious and accommodating and let me try an all Koa 00 (which I neglected to photo). Here are some shots from the shop...to include David Grier's Merrill that is back in the shop for some work...all in all a great afternoon stop.

All the way on the left is a Slope Shouldered D-28... I hope to get back out to try that guitar once it is complete...

Hanging on the wall were some tops from old, destroyed Martins... a 1931 000-18 and a 1940ish D-18

A PIMPED out D-45

and some nice guitars...

Last edited by Ruble; 06-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM

One more picture...

David Grier's D-21

and some nice guitars...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing Ruble

I've been meaning to make it over to Steve Swan's shop he has three of them right now as well as a Ryan and Somogyi.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Greetings, I have a 2001 OM18 shaded top that I got used in 2002. It was the first guitar that Jim sold in the U.S. through a shop other than Steve Swan and as such sparked a bit of controversy in the forums at the time. A buddy of mine has the big brother of mine. A C-18, also a shaded top 2 serial numbers away from mine. He always felt it compared favorably to his original Martin '37 D-18. I thought it did too. My OM is a spectacular guitar as well. Loud,full basses, sweet trebles and enough midrange bark to give it character. I've had a few questions for Jim over the years and called and left messages. He always called back and was a pleasure to deal with. While not as immediate as a quick email reply, I always enjoyed talking with him. Here's a link to a short youtube vid. of the OM18. Obliviously it sounds so much better in person.
Regards- Brian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPp2U3o88A
Old 06-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Thanks for sharing Ruble

I've been meaning to make it over to Steve Swan's shop he has three of them right now as well as a Ryan and Somogyi.
Bobby,

When you do...I would love to hear your opinions of the Merrills and the other interesting Virginia luthiers Rockbridge Guitar company...I love the look of their 12 fret jumbos.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 PM

When I looked up Merrill guitars on google after seeing this, I came across an article about Merrill Harp guitars. Is this the same builder?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
When I looked up Merrill guitars on google after seeing this, I came across an article about Merrill Harp guitars. Is this the same builder?
Yep.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Great sounding guitar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmyth9 View Post
Greetings, I have a 2001 OM18 shaded top that I got used in 2002. It was the first guitar that Jim sold in the U.S. through a shop other than Steve Swan and as such sparked a bit of controversy in the forums at the time. A buddy of mine has the big brother of mine. A C-18, also a shaded top 2 serial numbers away from mine. He always felt it compared favorably to his original Martin '37 D-18. I thought it did too. My OM is a spectacular guitar as well. Loud,full basses, sweet trebles and enough midrange bark to give it character. I've had a few questions for Jim over the years and called and left messages. He always called back and was a pleasure to deal with. While not as immediate as a quick email reply, I always enjoyed talking with him. Here's a link to a short youtube vid. of the OM18. Obliviously it sounds so much better in person.
Regards- Brian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPp2U3o88A
and some nice guitars...
Old 09-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Boy Howdy!

Still playing my Merrill OM 28 Brazilian. I got it from Swan around 2003. Alan Perlman put on a new bridge and two cleats when the top seam separated.

Still my #1 guitar.

You guys still around?
Old 09-01-2019, 07:48 PM

Zombie thread alert!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:32 AM

Default The mystery of Merrill

I’ve got a 2007 Merrill OM-18 it is a stellar guitar. Dry, woody, resonant, refined tone. Seems like it’s nearly impossible to get info on Merrill guitars and I never see new ones. Is he still around? Still building?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:34 AM

Jim is still building. He would love to hear from an owner of one of his guitars.

Evidently, he is doing lots of repairs.

https://www.facebook.com/Merrill-Gui...0574655333046/

Last edited by M Sarad; 09-02-2019 at 09:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion