The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM

Bailey #4, $15.00 Hock iron, $35.00. Tormek T-7 not necessary but makes keeping the proper angle and nice concave surface sharpens quickly. I use a combination of DMT diamond and Norton water stones. Joining tops and backs takes some practice but is well worth the effort.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
I know that a sharp tool is a MUST... Obtaining the required sharpness with stones can be frustrating and difficult to say the least... The Tormak(expensive) is said to work great and the Work sharp system well recieved ... any one with reviews or suggestions ? Thanks
I have myself some diamond stones from Stew-mac and a honing guide from Veritas and I find I am able to get consistent and razor sharp edges on my planes and chisels. The micro bevel adjustment tends to make a microbevel that tapers across the chisel, but not on the edge side, where it remains true. You can learn to create true microbevels by adjusting the pressure as you sharpen though.

I would recommend this little jig,
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/Pag...72,43078,51868
Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 AM

Best thing to gain acceptance in recent years are diamond paste sharpening systems. Doesn't have to replace everything else, but is incredibly fast, leaves a more than razor shapr edge, and doesn't require any water or oil, which I do find an advantage in winter in my shop.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 PM

Default Diamond paste

Tom, I have read a bit of the diamond paste for sharpening...what do you put it on/use for a base?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair