The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2022, 06:53 AM

I was under the impression that putting the amp/speaker on the ground increases the bass response???

I have a gig Saturday and my EAE M2-6 has a 6.5 speaker so I was going to put it on the ground tilted back and in front of a speaker stand with a Kustom PA50 on it,,, poor man's array lol
I was hoping putting it on the ground will increase the bass a little..
Old 08-12-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I was under the impression that putting the amp/speaker on the ground increases the bass response???

I have a gig Saturday and my EAE M2-6 has a 6.5 speaker so I was going to put it on the ground tilted back and in front of a speaker stand with a Kustom PA50 on it,,, poor man's array lol
I was hoping putting it on the ground will increase the bass a little..
It does help with the bass, but it's a double-edged proposition and the lower your top end is placed, the less audible it becomes. This is why there are so many two piece speakers available; to allow the upper speaker to be placed high for dispersion, all the bass can stay on the floor where it couples with the room and saves you from having to lift the larger driver up on a stand.

Your situation will probably be fine as long as the audience density is spread out enough.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-12-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
It does help with the bass, but it's a double-edged proposition and the lower your top end is placed, the less audible it becomes. This is why there are so many two piece speakers available; to allow the upper speaker to be placed high for dispersion, all the bass can stay on the floor where it couples with the room and saves you from having to lift the larger driver up on a stand.

Your situation will probably be fine as long as the audience density is spread out enough.
Yep, Top end it handled by the Kustom PA50 .... it has two 4.5in drivers and a horn
Old 08-12-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What wireless system do you use? I have the joyo wireless mic adapter and in about 50% of my venues I get interference which makes it unusable.

Guitar: Carvin W5G knockoff (5GHz) from eBay. Works great, and stays out of the way from my vocal wireless mics.

Vocal mics: xVive U3 wireless. I also use these for extension speakers, IEM, and wireless camera feed.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Yep, Top end it handled by the Kustom PA50 .... it has two 4.5in drivers and a horn
Should be fine as long as there are too many people blocking sound in the room.

Good case in point and the thing that made me get separates in the first place was playing in a very, very crowded bar at high volumes and having people in the back complaining they couldn't hear us, even though it was deafening on the stage and front of the dance floor. With a pair of JBL SR 4738 speakers (18", 10", horn) sitting on the floor, nothing but the bottom end could be heard anywhere else. I even walked over to a table while playing a guitar solo and had to hurry back because I couldn't hear anything other than an indistinct rumble.

A single speaker on the floor is actually very good though in a lot of open bar or dining/coffee shop settings which I assume you'll be playing in. How are you liking the Kustom PA50 so far? My minimalist sound system right now is the Eon Compact, and being rechargeable makes it fit even easier when power is hard to reach.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What wireless system do you use? I have the joyo wireless mic adapter and in about 50% of my venues I get interference which makes it unusable.
My all time favorite wireless is the Shure GLXD16, which has a pedal type receiver that shows the charge level in the rechargeable transmitter, gets at least several gigs per charge, no interference or dropouts. I liked it well enough to buy a second one so I'd have one dedicated to each acoustic and electric.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:38 PM

I have found that speaker matters, too. My Bose S1 Pro sprays sound everywhere and is feedback-prone, whereas my K1s are more focused. I also put my speaker on a pole and I prefer to play behind it.

my guitar has the ability to roll off the mic and just go piezo, which helps with feedabck as well.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Should be fine as long as there are too many people blocking sound in the room.

Good case in point and the thing that made me get separates in the first place was playing in a very, very crowded bar at high volumes and having people in the back complaining they couldn't hear us, even though it was deafening on the stage and front of the dance floor. With a pair of JBL SR 4738 speakers (18", 10", horn) sitting on the floor, nothing but the bottom end could be heard anywhere else. I even walked over to a table while playing a guitar solo and had to hurry back because I couldn't hear anything other than an indistinct rumble.

A single speaker on the floor is actually very good though in a lot of open bar or dining/coffee shop settings which I assume you'll be playing in. How are you liking the Kustom PA50 so far? My minimalist sound system right now is the Eon Compact, and being rechargeable makes it fit even easier when power is hard to reach.
I've had the PA50 for several years and I've enjoyed it in a practice space in my garage, so how it does outside hopefully I'll find out today..
My EAE M2-6 is battery powered but I'm pretty sure I'll have power today if not the EAE M2-6 will go on the speaker stand and the PA50 will be a drink holder ...
I did have a Kustom PA40B (battery power) version of the PA50 but I sold it ..still haven't figured out why?? lol That would be perfect with the EAE amp for non-powered gigs.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I've had the PA50 for several years and I've enjoyed it in a practice space in my garage, so how it does outside hopefully I'll find out today..
My EAE M2-6 is battery powered but I'm pretty sure I'll have power today if not the EAE M2-6 will go on the speaker stand and the PA50 will be a drink holder ...
I did have a Kustom PA40B (battery power) version of the PA50 but I sold it ..still haven't figured out why?? lol That would be perfect with the EAE amp for non-powered gigs.
How did the show go the other day? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:21 AM

Started a Thread about the challenges....Wireless

But overall once I figured everything out and it went great...Lots of compliments ..
2.5 hours and about 30 songs

I'm going the do their Labor Day BBQ But I'm going totally on Battery this time..
Just the EAE amp on a speaker pole behind me..
If I don't figure out the wireless Mic stuff that will be the only cable because my guitar is already wireless..

Last edited by CASD57; 08-15-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi Steve,I use the same setup . My problem is feedback if I were that close. But with your setup ;I don't see a vocal mic. I think thats what gives me a problem at small gigs. [and my volume is very low!]. Nice picture sir!
I also sing at some gigs. As you can see in this pic, I am pretty darn close. I suspect one of the secrets to no feedback is my hat. : )

Steve
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM

I was outdoors this Saturday, but on a tiny, raised stage that didn't give me much placement option.

No feedback issues whatsoever, and the SA300x was plenty loud enough on less than half volume. Great sound.

Indoors, I'm not usually that far away from the Bose L1, either. I Haven't found that there's such an issue with these line array systems, especially if you run the tweeter somewhat judiciously (Fishman allows this).

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 08-16-2022, 05:56 PM

Some excellent suggestions here.
I am a big proponent of getting the speaker up.
If it's on the floor folks in the back will be coming up all night and telling you to turn it up.
The sound gets absorbed by the folks
In front ...if you get it up over folks head
then you wont blast the folks up front and you are heard in the back...ultimate support stands
bases take up maybe a 3x3 area if that.
But they are a tripod and stuff can be placed between the legs. My mic stand has a clip on tray/drink holder that holds my ipod and
Picks,capo etc and has a cup holder for
My adult beverage of choice..A music
Stand takes up too much room and
Blocks viewers from seeing your playing..
Which in my case is a good thing..
Bose systems are good at dispersion.
I dont use a bose preferring the more dynamic range
Of a powered speaker on a stand. Ymmv..

Last edited by varmonter; 08-16-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Some excellent suggestions here.
I am a big proponent of getting the speaker up.
If it's on the floor folks in the back will be coming up all night and telling you to turn it up.
The sound gets absorbed by the folks
In front ...if you get it up over folks head
then you wont blast the folks up front and you are heard in the back...ultimate support stands
bases take up maybe a 3x3 area if that.
But they are a tripod and stuff can be placed between the legs. My mic stand has a clip on tray/drink holder that holds my ipod and
Picks,capo etc and has a cup holder for
My adult beverage of choice..A music
Stand takes up too much room and
Blocks viewers from seeing your playing..
Which in my case is a good thing..
Bose systems are good at dispersion.
I dont use a bose preferring the more dynamic range
Of a powered speaker on a stand. Ymmv..
My Mic stand also has a Tablet holder....and I had just bought the tray with the cup holder and pick holder built in...Worked great
I had used a music stand top that clipped onto the mic stand for years...but it was full sized and going tablet has been great but I need to buy an anti-glare screen for it.
Next year I need to buy a umbrella and stand just in case I'm in the sun..

I like the idea of running Battery as a first option and wireless, to reduce setup and tear down time plus eliminate all the cords.

But I'm not sure a battery setup will cover a big noisy party?? time will tell

I'll get pic's next time(Sept 5th)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification