The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-22-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
A lot of people consider 24.9 to be the sweet spot for a parlor with good but not overpowering bass output. It certainly was the case for my Froggy Bottom acoustic.
Works for me. 24.9" in lieu of 25" would be fine. What's a tenth of an inch really. I want the real estate of a "full" sized guitar generally, but especially when using a capo. And I don't want to affect my muscle memory from playing a short guitar. I also prefer the string feel and sound of guitars with a little more tension.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I bought a used second generation custom X7 a few year’s ago. It’s a nylon strung model with a 25.5 inch scale.
I’m uncertain what motivated the original owner to order that scale length but I just remeasured it to confirm that that is indeed the scale length. As I understand it, there is no extra room between the frets as the neck is no different from the standard X7 but the bridge is moved farther from the nut, closer to the edge of the guitar. I honestly wonder if the original owner thought she would be getting the fret space that comes with a standard 25.5 inch scale.
Anyway, I just check intonation and it’s spot on. I understand why it shouldn’t be but my tuner is reassuring me.
In terms of tone it sounds surprisingly good. Does this mean that bridge location means less on a CF guitar? Or that string length plays a bigger role? I don’t have those answers and don’t know who would.
I bought this guitar simply because I wanted a nylon strung travel guitar that I could take from jungle heat to frozen tundra and be worry free. That box has been checked.
When first got it I played it for a brother( guitar player) in my living room. He looked about the room with a surprised expression and asked if I was amplifying it somehow. I was not- the guitar is surprisingly loud for its size.

I’ve also heard the newer model X7 has tonal advantages ( is a little bigger too) but I wonder if having a longer scale length with the same neck that would be on a 24 inch scale guitar is worth the added cost.
To each their own.
Best,
Tom
IMG_1658624769.832782.jpg
Old 07-24-2022, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I bought a used second generation custom X7 a few year’s ago. It’s a nylon strung model with a 25.5 inch scale.
I’m uncertain what motivated the original owner to order that scale length but I just remeasured it to confirm that that is indeed the scale length. As I understand it, there is no extra room between the frets as the neck is no different from the standard X7 but the bridge is moved farther from the nut, closer to the edge of the guitar. I honestly wonder if the original owner thought she would be getting the fret space that comes with a standard 25.5 inch scale.
Anyway, I just check intonation and it’s spot on. I understand why it shouldn’t be but my tuner is reassuring me.
In terms of tone it sounds surprisingly good. Does this mean that bridge location means less on a CF guitar? Or that string length plays a bigger role? I don’t have those answers and don’t know who would.
I bought this guitar simply because I wanted a nylon strung travel guitar that I could take from jungle heat to frozen tundra and be worry free. That box has been checked.
When first got it I played it for a brother( guitar player) in my living room. He looked about the room with a surprised expression and asked if I was amplifying it somehow. I was not- the guitar is surprisingly loud for its size.

I’ve also heard the newer model X7 has tonal advantages ( is a little bigger too) but I wonder if having a longer scale length with the same neck that would be on a 24 inch scale guitar is worth the added cost.
To each their own.
Best,
Tom
Attachment 77995
Tom, even though Emerald adjusts scale length by moving the bridge back on the body, rather than elongating the neck, they still have to adjust the fret spacing or it would NOT intonate well. If you took two X7s with different scale lengths and measured the frets, you’d see that those with longer scales had wider fret spacing. You’d also see that the neck would join the body at a different fret (or between different frets). And having owned both last generation and current generation X7s, I’d agree that the new ones sound better than the old ones, at least to the player. Not that much difference to any audience. That newer sound hole projecting up at the players ear, as well as to the front, really makes a difference. My experience is limited to steel strings, though - haven’t played a nylon guitar in years…

-Ray
Old 07-24-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post

Attachment 77995
Hey Tom,
This is the first time that I have ever heard of a nylon strung Emerald being described as LOUD. Usually, comments regarding Emerald nylon guitars almost always reflect the complete opposite... as in being very QUIET. You must have lucked onto the perfect recipe. I find the X7 to be the perfect size for my liking, so if you ever want to sell your Emerald nylon, please let me know.

BTW...I love the upholstery on that chair!! LOOKS GREAT!

Wm.

Last edited by warndt; 07-24-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Tom, even though Emerald adjusts scale length by moving the bridge back on the body, rather than elongating the neck, they still have to adjust the fret spacing or it would NOT intonate well. If you took two X7s with different scale lengths and measured the frets, you’d see that those with longer scales had wider fret spacing. You’d also see that the neck would join the body at a different fret (or between different frets). And having owned both last generation and current generation X7s, I’d agree that the new ones sound better than the old ones, at least to the player. Not that much difference to any audience. That newer sound hole projecting up at the players ear, as well as to the front, really makes a difference. My experience is limited to steel strings, though - haven’t played a nylon guitar in years…

-Ray

Thanks for that information, Ray. That would be why the intonation on my guitar is spot on. I’ve never had the chance to compare my X7 to another in a side by side fashion. Frankly, I’ve never seen another X7 in person. I had to buy mine to try one.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
Hey Tom,
This is the first time that I have ever heard of a nylon strung Emerald being described as LOUD. Usually, comments regarding Emerald nylon guitars almost always reflect the complete opposite... as in being very QUIET. You must have lucked onto the perfect recipe. I find the X7 to be the perfect size for my liking, so if you ever want to sell your Emerald nylon, please let me know.

BTW...I love the upholstery on that chair!! LOOKS GREAT!

Wm.

Hey Wm,
It may be that it’s volume defies its diminutive size.
It also has surprising sustain. Using hard tension strings in Dadgad tuning the drone notes really do have a wonderful harp effect.
At this point in my life I can’t justify commissioning a new Emerald guitar. I feel very lucky to have found this used one when I did.
You’re first in line.
Best,
Tom
Old 08-03-2022, 03:53 AM

I will add my own experience. I purchased a RainSong a number of years ago. It was a special group purchase thru LA Guitar. It was a custom "Shorty" with a 12-fret design. If I remember correctly... it has a 24.9" scale length. I LOVE it! It is easier and more comfortable to play.

After reading everyone else's thoughts... I think that I need an Emerald in a similar size! I'm thinking maybe with a thinner neck? The N2 neck from RainSong is just a bit beefy for my taste. I am a neck profile snob... and very fond of Gibson SG and Les Paul necks that have a 60's profile. Like most here, I need no excuse to consider another guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber