The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2022, 05:14 PM

Default Another Taylor Question

A couple of days ago I tried a Taylor 210ce at Guitar Center. I found it to be crisp, punchy and responsive. It would be a nice contrast to the warm, woody tone of my Martin GPC 15 Streetmaster. I could get it now but with a family vacation coming up it would be more financially prudent to wait a month or two.

There have been a few times I passed on a special guitar and found that duplicate models weren’t nearly as special. I’ve heard that Taylor is known for really consistent build quality. Does it seem reasonable to assume that I can expect the same quality from future 210’s I might play?
Old 06-03-2022, 05:25 PM

My guess would be that yes, the build quality will be there.
But, (there’s always a but), the tone might not be like the one that talked to you!
Old 06-03-2022, 05:25 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Tough question. I would never buy a guitar (no matter how much I loved it) if the purchase wasn’t financially prudent for my family. But I also try to never walk away from a special guitar that really speaks to me. You just can’t count on the next one sounding that great. The good news? Taylor is well know for consistency. In my book it’s the most consistent of the Big Three. So you’ve got a good shot at getting a nice guitar if you wait. But no guarantee it’ll match the one in hand…

Old 06-03-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Tough question. I would never buy a guitar (no matter how much I loved it) if the purchase wasn’t financially prudent for my family. But I also try to never walk away from a special guitar that really speaks to me. You just can’t count on the next one sounding that great. The good news? Taylor is well know for consistency. In my book it’s the most consistent of the Big Three. So you’ve got a good shot at getting a nice guitar if you wait. But no guarantee it’ll match the one in hand…

Plus 1 on this.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Does it seem reasonable to assume that I can expect the same quality from future 210’s I might play?

In my opinion, yes, it's reasonable to expect good repeatability from Taylor.

I would not spend money on a guitar that impacted my family. So I agree with you that waiting would make sense.

There are always more guitars out there.

Every once in a while something magic comes along, but I have walked away from some of those when the time was not right for spending that kind of money.

We each have our own priorities, but I have always made sure that my guitar fascination never impacted my family.

Enjoy your vacation!

- Glenn
Old 06-03-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkersey View Post
I found it to be crisp, punchy and responsive. It would be a nice contrast to the warm, woody tone of my Martin GPC 15 Streetmaster.

I’ve heard that Taylor is known for really consistent build quality.
Slightly different take on this.

Usually the answer is never walk away from one that speaks to you. But in this case, if all you seek is the contrast between the Taylor and the Martin, that will be there in other Taylors. Taylor is consistent in that regard.

If I'm misreading this, and you think this particular guitar appeals to you, then that's different.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Sounds to me like you should wait. Taylor's consistency, particularly with their 100 and 200 series guitars is second to none. Another option might be to put the guitar you played on layaway until you can pay the full price.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkersey View Post

There have been a few times I passed on a special guitar and found that duplicate models weren’t nearly as special. I’ve heard that Taylor is known for really consistent build quality. Does it seem reasonable to assume that I can expect the same quality from future 210’s I might play?

I think you can expect a quality build for sure but I personally wouldn't expect the next one you play to sound the same. Taylors do seem more consistent tone wise that some other brands but they in no way all sound the same.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

How about purchasing on lay-away with payments? That way you save the money through the vacation but don't loose the one that speaks to you.

Another option is one year same as cash with no interest. That option requires self discipline.

Both options would be best exercised in agreement with the spouse.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:56 AM

Quality? Yes. Tone? Who knows.

Ive tried a few models that sounded…meager, while other people love ‘em.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:22 AM

I say enjoy your family vacation and then buy a Taylor when you get back when the financial situation suits you. There are so many Taylors out there that even if this one is special, you'll find another special one later on.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:50 AM

Taylor makes a large assortment of guitars aimed at the same general price region as the one OP mentioned. If OP hasn't tried any yet, a few test drives may help OP either firmly confirm his judgement or offer some insight into other Taylors. And several are significantly less expensive. Ain't one of them not a very good instrument.

After vacation.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:18 PM

It’s axiomatic that when you find that special guitar, if you want to have it, buy it then. There’s no guarantee that another example of the same model will be as nice.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
......Taylor is well know for consistency. In my book it’s the most consistent of the Big Three. So you’ve got a good shot at getting a nice guitar if you wait. But no guarantee it’ll match the one in hand…
My thoughts as well.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

<<<Duplicate>>>

Last edited by gmel555; 06-05-2022 at 08:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion