The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Has anyone noticed a difference in tuning stability between round core and hex core strings?

Do round core strings hold tune longer/better than hex core?

I ask because I found Martin Titanium strings extremely stable and I'm having the same experience now with DR Sunbeams.

Both are round core and both required very minimum tuning tweaks from day 1.

Different guitars - one has Grover Rotomatic tuners the other has Grover Sta-Tites.

Both guitars are on stands in my non humidified living room - not in cases.
As long as your stringing technique is good, and the strings are stretched adequately there is no reason the core shape should make any difference. Nor does whatever tuners are on your guitar make any difference to tuning stability. I can't count the number of times people have asked for suggestions for replacement tuners because they think theirs are at fault and 'slipping', when in fact the fault lies in how they are stringing their instrument. The worm gear arrangement in modern tuners cannot slip in reverse when under load, irrespective of how badly worn it may be; that's why it is used in elevator safety mechanisms, for example.
https://www.motioncontroltips.com/wh...s-this-useful/

Last edited by AndrewG; 03-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:34 PM

By reputation, round cores aren't supposed to be quite as tuning stable as hex cores. If that is true, I have never experienced it. I have used or tried several round core brands.

I suspect modern round core strings are much better than those made years ago.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
I thought you were supposed to “stretch” round-core strings by playing them, not the typical method you would used with hex-core strings.

Nick
Yes that is correct. I probably should have made that a bit more clear. Here is what I said.
"More interestingly, I find that you don't need to stretch them like you do with Hex cores. They are reasonably stabilized after just a few minutes, and nearly stabilized usually after letting them sit for just an hour or two. Of course, I check with a mirror to make sure each ball end is snug up against the plate before winding."
I should have clarified my statement more. You Don't need to stretch them at all, in my experience. I just bring them to tune. Retune them a couple of times over a 10 minute period. And again after an hour or so.
However, a key factor is checking to make sure the ball end is totally up against the plate. I have a telescoping mirror to check that. Sometimes I have to reseat the ball end a few times before it is totally up against the plate. It is only then, that I will start winding them to tension.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:29 AM

My Newtone round core PBs were good for a few months although the low E sounded dull from the start. After 4 months they all went dull except of course the unwrapped strings. I put on Retros and my Martin OM came to life.. The Retros seem to last a long time. I still have them on a few guitars and sound good after a year. I have ordered some Newtone Monels and see how i fare.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Been trying out a lot of different strings lately. Tuning stability between core types is not something I've noticed.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-15-2023, 10:05 AM

Just like the "round vs hex dead string" thread, same reply for me. I mostly use round core, but have some instruments with hex.

I've noticed no difference in tuning stability. I keep all my 24 stringed instruments out in my climate controlled music room. When temperature and humidity stay constant, everything stays in tune. When these change, most of the instruments respond. The fiddles are the most stable. The nylon string ukulele is the least stable. The steel stringed mandolins and guitars change the same when they change.

I've never subscribed to the "string stretching" camp - pulling/yanking on new strings to stretch them. They get all the stretching they need tuning them up to pitch.

Last edited by Mandobart; 04-15-2023 at 10:10 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion