The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Gibson L1/L3 archtop repro ?

This Gibson model is (for me) one of the quintessential guitars.
I love the body curves, dimensions are just right, they come with 1 ⅞" V neck… each time I see one, I'm drooling.
Now Gibson stopped the production in something like 1925, so the ones you find are… vintage. Duh.

Do you know of a luthier who is currently making reproductions of those ?
At least an archtop maker with enough knowledge of those model.

And I want it all mahogany, too.
With a floating PU (horror !)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Good point! Eastman did. - The AR804 and, I think AR604 (hog) it was a 16" round hole archtop, somewhat like the L-4 (up until I think 1934).

I think they have dropped them now.
When the had a Yahoo list Eastman asked us what they should be doing. I suggested they go in for guitars emulating all the older archtop and flat top Gibson styles (I have an AR805e) which is magnificent, so I know that can make a fine instrument. Sadly they opted for yet more Martin style flat-top designs (which are well received) and for went for electric "semi-acoustic" archtops with pick-ups screwed to the top.

I guess its a business and they know what sells, but I would have loved to see Eastman L-0, L-1, L-3, and more L-4s and original style (non cutaway) L-5s.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, any lower bout more than 15" is forbidden by my back.
I sold a magnificent 805c because of that.
I kept the El Rey model 0 (the acoustic one), tho. This one is wonderful too, less than the 805, but at least I can play it.

There are some flattop repros of L0, 1, 2 or 3 (I confess being a bit lost in the models nomenclature and what this means in the real world, I'm talking about the models with a round lower bout), and for all budgets, but nobody's making repro of the archtop model, AFAIK.
And I'm not thrilled by the idea of buying a vintage one unseen.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM

My search for an acoustic archtop has recently led me to early Gibson archtops. The L-1/3s from around 1921 and earlier were the original archtops, 13.5" at the lower bout. At this point these guitars were still very lightly built, H braced and thus VERY responsive. Wood types varied depending on what the Gibson dumpster divers got hold of, some were apparently made out of mahogany, some birch and some maple even though they were listed in catalogs as made from maple. Necks are pretty chunky, no truss rod prior to '22 and very narrow t frets that play like bar frets. Definitely comfortable if you're used to playing on a 1 7/8" nut width or even 1 3/4. But the tone and response are absolutely awesome.

It might pay for the OP to consider that a repro might not even come close to the charm these oldsters have. The response is just awesome and single line melody tone is a woody and uniquely charming. If you keep your eyes peeled they come up in the market and they are much cheaper than getting a custom build from a quality private builder and unless there were someone with experience in this particular style, likely wouldn't sound in the same ball park nor would be as responsive, especially any pac rim factory copy. Spouse and I fell in love with their sound and bought two, a 1919 and a 1921.

Here is a link to the page of the '21 on dealer's site I bought it from and some sound files are also there.
http://www.guitargal.com/collections...1-all-mahogany

-Jim
Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Jim : you're highly probably perfectly right. I'm afraid.

An all mahog L1/L3 archtop (with the 1 ⅞" neck) in playing condition : talk about my holy grail.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:40 PM

Oh, and by the way, The '21 was listed as mahogany.....but it isn't. This guitar is mahogany "stained".....top is carved spruce and back is either birch, some kind of maple.....or something else but definitely not mahogany. I'm not sure if any of the early archtops were all mahogany. I've seen guitar's wood mis-identified by dealers who didn't take the time to really inspect the features of the guitars they were selling. Sometimes it pays to be a wise consumer.......or a guitar geek

-Jim
Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Been looking at these recently myself.They look and sound wonderful..
On the newer Repo side i did come across one being made
by David Flammang -here - EL 35 TS
http://www.guitargal.com/products/fl...bacco-sunburst

Just to add im unsure if this is an archtop or not,but definitly inspired by the L-1 arch.
Heres what Cotton music centre say about the tone/sound of the guitar
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6684778&type=3

Last edited by mahoriver; 02-25-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Glad I stopped by this thread. Now I know what to do with my 1944 Stella student guitar. Not quite new condition but close. Seems that some kid got one and it was much harder to learn to play than it looked, sat in its case for the remainder. Or maybe it was because it sounds about as un-guitar as can be. I feel bad about taking it apart but I finally found a use for it. Well, at least for the neck.

V shaped, 1 3/4" nut, thick neck, was going to carve it down some if I ever were to use it. Maybe a second life as an L-1? I have some birch I can carve. Anyone know the depth of the L-1's neck at the 1st and 9th fret?

Anybody know how much arch the top and back would have?

Last edited by printer2; 03-05-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM

There are always a few of these for sale, and at prices lower than what you could get a good builder to make one for. The reason for that is they don't sound that good, and there isn't a whole lot of demand for them.

https://www.gbase.com/gear?q=gibson+l-1+l-3+archtop&f=t
Old 03-12-2016, 03:51 PM

They certainly sound different.
But different colours (different sounding instruments) i like.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=Howard Klepper;4855207]There are always a few of these for sale, and at prices lower than what you could get a good builder to make one for. The reason for that is they don't sound that good, and there isn't a whole lot of demand for them.

These L-1s from the late teens and early 20s are lightly built and just like 20's Martins very responsive and have tons of volume for their size. Martin 1s and 0s from this era are not nearly as popular as 00s and 000s but that doesn't mean they don't sound as good. These L-1s are not for chunking swing rhythm. For melodies and chord solos they have a uniquely wonderful and projecting voice. It does have a fairly chunky neck which would make it unpopular with all but devotees of 1 7/8 nut width necks. For some finger styles mine sounds great. I just got a '27 0-18k for far less than what it would cost as a custom build but that doesn't mean this guitar doesn't sound good. On the contrary, it's sound couldn't be reproduced for many times it's cost. OTOH, there are many factors involved in buying older instruments which just like with new instruments, some will sound good and some won't, and it takes either education, luck, or both to find the good ones. But popularity is not a factor determining quality. Get 'em while they are inexpensive

-Jim
Old 03-17-2016, 04:11 AM

Many years ago while on holiday in Colorado I had the chance to play a beautiful L3 from the teens, I am lucky to own a few really great guitars but that little Gibson is still hands down one of the best guitars I have ever played.
I remember the price was $600 with the original case, I wished I had the money for it then..I wish I had the chance now!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
Unfortunately, any lower bout more than 15" is forbidden by my back.
I sold a magnificent 805c because of that.
I kept the El Rey model 0 (the acoustic one), tho. This one is wonderful too, less than the 805, but at least I can play it.

There are some flattop repros of L0, 1, 2 or 3 (I confess being a bit lost in the models nomenclature and what this means in the real world, I'm talking about the models with a round lower bout), and for all budgets, but nobody's making repro of the archtop model, AFAIK.
And I'm not thrilled by the idea of buying a vintage one unseen.
Hi Jpbat, the best way to familiarise your self with the various Gibson models of yore would be to browse this website : http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson2.html

Another fine informational source is this website http://acousticmusic.org/product/gibson-l-1-1919-2/ and this showsx what is described as an L-1 but I believe it to be an L-3.

I owned one of these for a time and despite its age it was in remarkably fine condition. This was around 1975/6 and whilst at that time I was no connoisseur of archtops at the time, I found the tone rather thin.

The "blood line" of Gibsons is always confusing but well worth research.

The most well known (although relatively rare, are the basic L-0 and L-1 cheap, often birch made flat-tops frequently associated with Robert Johnson.

I have a replica L-0/1 made by a guy in spain which looks like this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2623334456...84.m1555.l2649
Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanks Silly for the infos.
Actually I am aware that the sound of those archtops is a bit on the thin side, at least the web recordings I listened to.
But I love the look. The balance of the curves, of the headstock versus the body, etc…
Although cheaper than a custom made, a vintage would be too far from what I want from a guitar today. Beside, I don't want to butcher one.
And without any way to try before buying, a way too much risky option.

This is why I was asking about a modern repro of those beauties, with all the attributes of a modern guitar, and ergonomics that fit my needs. And probably a better sound to boot.
And I really would know how could be an all-mahogany *archtop* with that design.
Not that I need a guitar, but you know how it goes. Dreaming, of sort.
And at our age, life can be definitely short.

So if any of you have a cue on a maker with knowledge on that kind of instrument, without a stratospheric price, I'm all ears.
Flammang could be a good start.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM

JP.I am on a similar search.But i think the originals are calling me a bit stronger than you.

I wonder how much there sound (some say thin) is a product of there design,,and Bracing..

Owners would know.But I'm pretty sure the early Brown top L-1's are a spruce top,stained
brown. The L-3,s have a sunburst top.Looks like they were experimenting a lot
back then.Specs changed a lot.
But what a beautiful looking guitar they are.

New - If the Flammang is to much(know what you mean)
This place "Champlin Guitars" might be worth checking out.He makes the
"L-1" flat top.
But also makes Arch tops..
http://www.champlinguitars.com/p/guitars.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops