The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Default What are some great/easy to learn acoustic Led Zep songs??

Hi all, I am currently learning the one, Over the hills and far away. great song acousticlly.....but don't know any others...and To be honest, I love the Blues so much but struggle big time so thought a new approach would be play blues based rock songs, and of course LZ spring to mind along with The Doors and maybe The Stones, please any suggestions gratefully recieved!!!

Daza. (for now, Nobody knows you.....in the Too hard basket!!)
Old 07-24-2010, 05:48 AM

Rock and Roll is just A-D-E, if you want simple. It's not very acoustic, but it's simple. I don't know any "simple" Led Zepplin songs.

From the Doors, there's Roadhouse Blues. It's E-A-B.

From the Stones, there's a bunch of easy songs. The Some Girls album was all A-D-E except for Far Away Eyes (F-C-B) and Beast of Burden (not really a three-chord song). There's also Angie, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, just to name a few.

Look at Clapton for some blues-based rock songs.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Hey Daza! Nice to see a post from you, kind of wondered where you'd been, of late... of course, if you're actually PLAYING your guitar instead of ruminating through these pages, that would account for your absence!

On the first Led Zeppelin record, most of the tunes are blues, certainly blues-based... "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" is primarily a traditional blues tune, I believe, but in any case, it employs a classic descending bass line in A minor, with a few embellishments along the way...

A minor // Amin w/ G bass // Amin w/F#bass // Amin w/Fbass - Amin w/ Ebass

The song does a figure between Amin and Dmajor for the bridge...

Have fun with it! I'm not sure who the original artist was on this one; probably "public domain" at this point!

How's life in New Zealand treating you? Did you ever get a new guitar? If so, what and how do you like it?

play on..............................................>

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Earlier this summer we played "Dazed and Confused" with an acoustic, violin and singer. Folks seemed to get a kick out of it. About as easy a song as we had ever worked out.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Have fun with it! I'm not sure who the original artist was on this one; probably "public domain" at this point!
One thing about Zep, even with their "original" songs, Page was never shy about "borrowing" songs - did not even bother to change the lyrics much. At this moment, Zep is being sued by Jake Holmes for "Dazed and Confused."
Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 PM

My favorite, "That's The Way" off Zep III, tuned to open D,and "Hangman" off the same LP, Jeff
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Hey Daza! Nice to see a post from you, kind of wondered where you'd been, of late... of course, if you're actually PLAYING your guitar instead of ruminating through these pages, that would account for your absence!

On the first Led Zeppelin record, most of the tunes are blues, certainly blues-based... "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" is primarily a traditional blues tune, I believe, but in any case, it employs a classic descending bass line in A minor, with a few embellishments along the way...

A minor // Amin w/ G bass // Amin w/F#bass // Amin w/Fbass - Amin w/ Ebass

The song does a figure between Amin and Dmajor for the bridge...

How's life in New Zealand treating you? Did you ever get a new guitar? If so, what and how do you like it?

play on..............................................>

John Seth Sherman
Giday John good to see you again too, I have been very busy playing and getting better too. I also have been on a NZ forum called NZguitars.com wich seems to be a rather electric forum more than acoustic, I did buy a new acoustic guitar its a FG700s Yamaha and it feels and sounds amazing, very happy with it. I have been working on a few songs lately like, Hotel California, Over the hills and far away, comfortably numb, Drive by incubus(just like that sweet sounding riff) and Take it easy, which is very easy(probably too easy). Behind blue eyes, pentatonic scales trying out a few 12 bar blues variations with little success, and the ones I want to learn are Livin lovin maid ramble on hard on a non cutaway, angie by stones, time pink floyd, shine on you crazy diamond, improve on my barre chord changes and learn all the notes position on the fretboard.......thats all. and you? can you give me any help on what I want to learn? and what are you working on John?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write