The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Sudden string buzz with low action

Hi, I did some finish work on my friends Hondo 12 string jumbo body guitar, he had it back for a few weeks, then all of a sudden the string buzz was there all up and down the fretboard all the strings. I did a quick look over, the neck seems stable and angled properly, the action measures around .040 on ee strings, the top may have sunken, no measure on that yet, just a visual. ??? Could a brace have broken? Or saddle sunk through the bridge?? Thanks Mike.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM

I'd ensure that the neck isn't back-bowed. With a .040" action, that's pretty low.

It's possible a brace came loose: easy enough to check. More likely, a change in humidity causing the top to sink/lower. If a plywood top, less likely.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM

It's also possible that the guitar's humidity changed and things aren't sitting where they were when you tweaked the guitar. Check that as well.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneybear View Post
the action measures around .040 on ee strings, the top may have sunken, no measure on that yet, just a visual. ??? Could a brace have broken? Or saddle sunk through the bridge?? Thanks Mike.
.040 is way too low of an action, if it was an electric guitar you can get away with it, but not an acoustic, even an action at 60/80 at the 12th needs perfect fret work not to buzz.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-30-2019, 09:17 PM

Ok, so I had a chance to work on the guitar. I found a loose and broken brace on the guitar back , just at the waist, little south when looking through the sound hole. I glued it and clamped it. Restung it to check, and 80% of the buzzing when away, and playable again, My question is, how does a broken back brace affect the action? Is it similar to sliding a neck block in a faux neck set? FYI, there is a slight backbow on neck, and the truss rod is frozen. Thanks in advance, Mike.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:10 AM

IMO, a broken back brace will not change the action height of a guitar, it will simply create a rattle

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair