The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
If you are going through a testing phase then changing before they are dead is a good idea because you still have the memory of the strings sounding optimal before you move on. If you changed every time they died, the next lot will always sound better.
Yes, I have found this to be true as well. I will usually cycle through the strings that I am testing for tone and feel about every 4 to 5 days. I generally do not "kill" strings with my skin chemistry so testing for longevity is not something that I do. And I keep notes on what I like or dislike about each set. I do not do this very much anymore as I have landed on a few brands that suit my tastes.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Do what I did as a teenager. Eat Fritos before playing.
You'll get one great slippery session.

Next day . . . .
Old 03-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I wish I could get away with changing strings less frequently but I'm a chronic string breaker. Playing only at home I can make a set of Elixers last 6 months but if it's a gigging guitar I'll break a D or G after the second show. If I have several gigs in one week I'll change the D and G every other show. Rarely have a problem with the other strings but those two get me the first chance they get.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-06-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I wish I could get away with changing strings less frequently but I'm a chronic string breaker. Playing only at home I can make a set of Elixers last 6 months but if it's a gigging guitar I'll break a D or G after the second show. If I have several gigs in one week I'll change the D and G every other show. Rarely have a problem with the other strings but those two get me the first chance they get.
That was me in my 20s and 30s! A good night was when I could get through three sets without breaking a G string.

In my 60s now, I can't remember the last time I broke a string. Or even a pick, for that matter. But I try to change strings whenever they get rusty looking.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
That was me in my 20s and 30s! A good night was when I could get through three sets without breaking a G string.

In my 60s now, I can't remember the last time I broke a string. Or even a pick, for that matter. But I try to change strings whenever they get rusty looking.
Well I'm 52 now and so far it's not improving at all. I don't break them playing at home, it's only during performances.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 AM

I dont want to jynx myself but i havnt
broken a string in 20 years. I think i change them
more frequently in the summer due to sweat
and humidity dulling them quicker. Im not one to
wipe them down but 12 sets would last me
probably 18 months. My skin chemistry is such
i guess that it doesnt affect the strings much.
i have a friend that plays one ir two gigs and
his strings are shot. I wait until i feel im tuning
way too much or they sound dull or they look
cruddy. I dont like the sound of new strings.
But there is that sweet spot between new and
toast that is so nice
Old 03-07-2019, 07:33 AM

The way I see it, buying strings is just a good excuse to pay my local brick and mortar shop a visit and sample their wares. Sure, I pay a little extra and have to pencil it into my schedule but I'm not fussy on string brands and they carry what I use anyway.

As for changing strings, I feel like it's a good way to "connect" with the instrument and give it a light cleaning while I'm at it. Every time I change them I feel like the process gets a little smoother and a little faster as well. It's sort of a Zen thing.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy experimenting with strings, but usually stop once I find a good match for that guitar. I'm pretty much down to GHS PB lights (w/ D'Add EJ16 as a backup). I was using DR Rare lights on my Mahogany bodies, but I've been happy with GHS on those guitars, as well. I may experiment with the different varieties of GHS strings on some guitars.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:33 PM

I dont see a problem with changing strings ( if newish ) that you dont like -
lifes to short for so-so strings . with time you will be better able to judge which guitar should get _____ strings etc .
I dont try fads, typically i only use 3 strings ( all long life coated ) Martin SP's , Dadarrio EXP and Elixars -
both PB's and 80/20's -typically i like PB's better ( thou sometimes i dig the 80-20's sound -but not lately )
Old 03-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I just got two more sets of Wyres in the mail,

I'll be using those on my Avalon and maybe my Guild D-120ce (could be!). Those two are my main dadgad/cgdgcd guitars. The Larrivee plays down there too, but it has Santa Cruz low parabolics on it and they last a loooong time.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion