The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2019, 04:53 PM

Because of the way I play, I’d be after something that was closer to an acoustic.
I’m thinking some sort of “Jazz Box” along the lines of a Epi Emporer, or the Ibanez or Alvarez equivalents.
Something I could play with 10-46’s. And get some “Hybrid” tone.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM

There was a pretty long thread a short while back on acoustic players favorite electric guitars. Several models were well represented, but my recollection is the Telecaster was the favorite by quite a bit.

I have seen some Squier Telecasters on sale brand new in the $200 range that were very nice guitars, a steal, really. And if one later decides one wants something with better hardware and pick ups, they are easy to mod.

The music store where I take lessons had a Squier tele that one of the kids that work there spent some time setting up as he would play it when there was nothing going on in the store. That thing played as nicely as several American made teles I have seen that were four times as much.

Really great value per dollar.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Every once in a while, I get curioius about electric guitars. If you were an acoustic guy, that want's to dabble with one inexpensive electric, what would it be? Consider I have no knowledge or experience with electric. Thanks for the help. Also, saw this listing, would it be a decent option? Think I might also have a 20% off coupon in my e mail somewhere.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...MaAon4EALw_wcB
I would jump all over that FSR Stratocaster you linked. One piece maple neck with bridge humbucker, all black tone controls.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM

Can't recommend an inexpensive one because I kept an electric, a Gibson Les Paul Standard, which obviously wouldn't qualify. It plays easy, sounds awesome (esp. on bass pickup), and looks the bomb (flamed cherry sunburst). It's strung with EB .009s.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
hi, like AndrewG MF has decided to block viewers from the EU as they don't care to subscribe to Data Protection rules.
Note that the Opera browser (free) has a built-in VPN which can surface you in the Americas, which might get around this block. I don't use it much but have needed this for website testing purposes. Settings -> Advanced -> VPN. Turn it on, and then use the VPN dropdown in the address bar.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:43 PM

I read through the responses fairly quick so sorry if I'm being repetitious but...
check out the Yamaha Pacificas. They are great entry level guitars and can be had new for under $200. There's a whole bunch at Sweetwater (and I'm sure everywhere else too).
My son has one and it's terrific...for the money - pretty hard to beat
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
An excellent deal with the 20% off. Could go on forever with alternative suggestions, but if the question is simply "is this a good option, yes or no" the answer would be yes.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:08 PM

A Newark Street Guild Aristocrat for the simple selfish reason that I have one myself and love it.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 01-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Best value, IMHO, is a Mexican Strat or Tele off your local Craigslist.

You should be able to pick up a MIM Strat or Tele under $300.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Hmmm...I would go with the Fender Telecaster also. Although my one and only electric is a Yamaha Strat, picked up used for 40$ USD, with a new set of strings! It'HSH, and plays amazingly well, but then, what else would you expect from Yamaha?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
An excellent deal with the 20% off. Could go on forever with alternative suggestions, but if the question is simply "is this a good option, yes or no" the answer would be yes.
I'd go for the Strat your looking at. I had a Squire Classical Vibe and while I thought it was a great guitar I'd think the one your considering might be a notch above plus you can return it if it doesn't turn out to be the one. I think you'd be happy it with it.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
MF won't let me view their site, so I don't know which guitar you mean. Apparently it's because I'm in England.

For my money the Yamaha Pacifica 112V can't be beaten for fantastic quality at very reasonable cost. They consistently win the sort of 'best guitar under £xxx' polls we see year after year, or at least get honourable mentions.

It’s due to EU rules on cookies and usage of personal data etc when looking at websites. Some websites that have their base in non-EU countries have blocked access from the EU as their websites (at least for now) don’t comply with the EU regulations. It isn’t anything sinister and as they get around to updating their ToC few sites will be restricted.

Pacifica - nice axe!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 AM

Gretsch Electromatic, Samick Royale Series Semi, MIM Stratocaster or Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:12 AM

Thumbs up Go for it.

You have picked a really nice guitar in the Fender Standard you linked to. You really can't do better especially at that price. That is a solid and quality piece. It will prove better than the Squiers and the strat is just a comfortable guitar to work with.

Like another poster said, I would jump all over that one.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 AM

ill stick with inexpensive, meaning under $200, id recommend a squier vintage modified 51, however if you moved that up to say $400, id recommend a squier vintage modifed 51
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars