The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Well for sure I will be a Patriots fan in two weeks!
Welcome to the club, Bob, even if it's just for 1 game. A Brady/Brees matchup would have been amazing.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
The economy is always pretty good for the top 20%. We should remember that the majority of Americans make less than $35,000/yr, and that more than 80% make less than $70K. So, I'd hesitate to make sweeping statement about "the economy" base on the cost of a Super Bowl ticket.

More stats, from 2017, available at the the SSA website.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2017
Good thing for the NFL that the top 20% are football fans. I’ve been pretty well off and I’ve been dead broke and I’ll take the top 20% any day. 😂
Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
The economy is always pretty good for the top 20%. We should remember that the majority of Americans make less than $35,000/yr, and that more than 80% make less than $70K. So, I'd hesitate to make sweeping statement about "the economy" base on the cost of a Super Bowl ticket.

More stats, from 2017, available at the the SSA website.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2017

Average yearly income by itself does not give the full picture of how the economy is doing. $35,000 a year in Hawaii you’re living in poverty. But $35,000 a year in let’s say, Indiana, you’re not doing too bad.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Average yearly income by itself does not give the full picture of how the economy is doing. $35,000 a year in Hawaii you’re living in poverty. But $35,000 a year in let’s say, Indiana, you’re not doing too bad.
My brother lives in San Diego. He says $35K there will barely keep you off the streets.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
My brother lives in San Diego. He says $35K there will barely keep you off the streets.

San Diego is petty bad too. Here in Hawaii, $95,000 is considered low income. Median single family home is well over $700,000.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Well, the statistics are not averages....they are percentages. But your point is well taken. Neither the price of a Super Bowl ticket nor the amount of the national median income are sufficient reflections of a complex national economy. Just wanted to respond to the comment (that borders on being a political assertion) about how good the economy must be.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Overall my problem with the Pats getting in is that KC never had a chance to match what NE did in overtime. Their offence never got to take the field, so in a way, the win was decided by a coin flip.

I have a problem with that. After watching the whole overtime for the LSU/TAMU game this year, that is the right way to do it. Each offence/deference gets a chance to answer what the other teams did. That seems a lot more even keel than just a flip of the coin.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM

the other way to look at it is the KC Defense needed to get the Pats Offense off the field. they didn't..
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
the other way to look at it is the KC Defense needed to get the Pats Offense off the field. they didn't..
I see the Chiefs just fired their defensive coordinator Bob Sutton. Of course the two events can’t be related in any way. 🙄
Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Did you guys happen happen to see that a couple of Saints season ticket holders asked a judge to order the NFL to reverse the results of the Rams/Saints game or order a do over? Now THERE is the legal equivalent of a Hail Mary if I ever saw one.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
That’s true, but the reality is that long games tend to wear down defenses more than offenses. By late in the 4th quarter nobody was getting stops in that game. So in a game that goes to OT, particularly in a game with even one great offense, let alone two, it’s pretty common for the team that wins the coin toss to just march down and score. The KC defense was wasted by that OT drive and, if the flip had gone the other way, the Pats defense would have also been running on fumes. I think each team should get at least one offensive possession. I actually think they should play a whole 15 minute period. No matter how you do it, getting the first possession would be an advantage, but not the overwhelming one it is with current rules...
Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That’s true, but the reality is that long games tend to wear down defenses more than offenses. By late in the 4th quarter nobody was getting stops in that game. So in a game that goes to OT, particularly in a game with even one great offense, let alone two, it’s pretty common for the team that wins the coin toss to just march down and score. The KC defense was wasted by that OT drive and, if the flip had gone the other way, the Pats defense would have also been running on fumes. I think each team should get at least one offensive possession. I actually think they should play a whole 15 minute period. No matter how you do it, getting the first possession would be an advantage, but not the overwhelming one it is with current rules...
Definitely agree Ray. Sudden Death is BS. With a Suoer Bowl on the line each team should get a shot I say.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Definitely agree Ray. Sudden Death is BS. With a Suoer Bowl on the line each team should get a shot I say.
Agree 100%, and was the point of my post above.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 AM

FWIW I have no dog in the fight. I'd rather watch football than 60 Minutes any Sunday night.

The chips fall where they fall. Sir Tom will have another ring. Good for Boston. New Orleans is going to have to wait until Fat Tuesday to start collecting tourism revenue.

This wasn't a case of the ball surviving the ground to break the plane at the goal line. Anybody remember that one? The rule got changed the subsequent year.

Yes, it was a bad non-call. It was actually TWO egregious non-calls - both defensive pass interference (for the defender not even turning to LOOK at the incoming ball) AND helmet to helmet. Even Al Riverond admitted so much to Andy Reid - but it's just not realistic to nullify the end results and essentially sue for a rubber game. The opportunity for revenge comes in the next meeting.

Similarly, sudden death OT in a playoff game is entirely appropriate - albeit heartbreaking. When NE won the toss they won the game as far as I'm concerned. At least it didn't come down to a shootout between the kickers.

As for the officiating, IMO it's a matter of bad perspective of those who make the calls. In this age of 360 slow mo replay I find it ridiculous to have somebody on the field with questionable eyesight staring into a hooded monitor to parse a play frame by blurry frame in order to overturn a call he was originally complicit on? They need to do what the NHL does; have somebody with access to eyes in the sky to interpret things from a different perspective. The technology is already in place thanks to the network partners.

Also, if they can have door chimes in a dollar store doorway and laser tag in malls across the country why can't they have some kind of electronic sensor on the Big Stage that can interpret when a ball makes breaks the plane for a TD or first down before a player's knees or elbows come in contact with the ground? It's like umpires in baseball being "interpretive" of the strike zone.

Personally, I think Brady is either an android or Superman. They cut to him sitting on the bench on the sidelines when KC took the lead just after the 2 minute warning and he was just sitting there staring straight ahead. It was eerie seeing that blank look in his eyes. He looked like Data from Star Trek downloading data from a mainframe and formulating a course of action. To see him joking and laughing during the post game was such a 180 it was equally jarring.

You have to hand it to the guy, though. When he's down he's NEVER out, even when everyone else on the team is tripping over their own two feet. I've seen him just brush off setbacks in-game and rally his troops in situations that would have caused any other team to accept defeat at its own hands.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Neil,

I had a reply typed up just saying exactly this re officiation and the NFL, I was getting long winded so I gave up on it. There should be better coverage for the officiating. These guys are elite athletes and the game has just sped up to the point where you have to have eyes everywhere.

That missed call was really about as bad as it can be, both in the lack of any one doing anything and the timing.

re: Brady,, I think experience calms these guys down when things get tight. How many times has he been here? Ability to focus when everything around you is in chaos is definitely a skill as much as any.

and not to stir the pot, but this whole bias against NE has gotten really crazy. I guess I get it,, people are tired of seeing NE all the time.. but how about that no one is talking much about the laser light being pointed at Brady in the KC game.

If that game was in NE, and the laser was getting pointed at Mahomes, people would be losing their minds.. but, all ya hear is Crickets...

Last edited by rmp; 01-23-2019 at 12:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic