The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Default I will NOT Watch The Super Bowl This Year

How can you watch the Super Bowl this year knowing that New Orleans should rightfully be there and will not be because of one of the biggest officiating blunders in NFL Playoff history? “Blunder” doesn’t even begin to cover what happened at the end of that Rams/Saints game. My God a rookie high school football ref would have called P.I. on that play. The Saints would have then bled the clock on three kneel downs and kicked the game winning chip shot field goal and earned a trip to the Super Bowl against the Patriots. I’m sorry, I’m out of out of there this year. This year’s Super Bowl is a total fraud imho. And yeah, I know there is the possibility that that Saints may have missed the chip shot field goal; possible sure, anything is “possible,” but highly, highly unlikely in this scenario. Super Bowl my rear end. Bogus Bowl, yeah.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Can you say "No Goal?"

when we lost the Stanley Cup to Dallas. We probably would have lost anyway but to lose on a famously bad call? It's part of our sports legacy now.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 AM

i haven't watched one in 30 years and won't this year either. wait: are the st. louis cardinals and the baltimore colts playing?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM

Lots of calls and non calls swing a game. The missed face mask on the Rams quarterback inside the 5 would have surely given them a touchdown and the lead, completely changing the complexion of the game. The missed PI just happens to have been near the end of the game.

Tough break, but New Orleans had their chance after that and didn't deliver.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i haven't watched one in 30 years and won't this year either. wait: are the st. louis cardinals and the baltimore colts playing?

play music!
You've missed some really good games then.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Lots of calls and non calls swing a game. The missed face mask on the Rams quarterback inside the 5 would have surely given them a touchdown and the lead, completely changing the complexion of the game. The missed PI just happens to have been near the end of the game.

Exactly. Bad calls both ways in that game. At least two badly missed face masks went in New Orleans favor. New Orleans scored on or their TD’s with the play clock at zero.

They still had a chance to hold the Rams out at the end and got the ball first in OT. They weren’t mentally tough enough to overcome a bad call and lost the game.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Football has lost me over the past few years. With the Jets and Giants stinking and with so much choreographed celebrating, and with so many players being th kind of people I don't want to root for and with so many commercials, I just can't bother anymore.

I had gotten to the point where I Tiwvoed the Jets and Giants game and I could watch them in about half the time. Now I just don't bother anymore.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:31 PM

The Rams simply don’t belong in the Super Bowl this year. I am not a fan of either the Saints or Rams, but that PI call was a complete hack. I saw plenty of other calls missed, but most of them were in the trenches and not on a wide open sideline with onl6 2 players and 2 refs watching.

Just free’d up the super bowl day for me.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You've missed some really good games then.
you are probably correct but i'm not much of a tv person anyway. i don't even care that the lakers have lebron. i prefer to involve myself with music instead.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Bunch o' whinin'. I learned long ago: the deeper you go into post season, the less inclined the ref staff are to having the game turn on a call. Better a miss than a bad call. A defender could sink an ax into the skull of the receiver and as long as they could hose what's left of the receiver off the Astroturf before the station break is over there would be no call. However, the dainty quarterbacks are still bring protected - Brady wasn't even touched, it was a swing and a miss last night, WHIFFF... and it cost the Pat's fourth down for the Chiefs. Technical ball clubs have always lost to physical, edge-of-legality clubs in the post season.

I am surprised by the by the sheer volume of bellyaching by the fans of the Saints, though. The kings of dirty ball got out-dirtied and they won't have it. I still remember the Saint's cash bounty on Brett Favre.

If the Saints had won to play the Pats in the Super Bowl there couldn't have been enough losers in that game for me. At least there's a moderately clean opponent in the fight this time.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
How can you watch the Super Bowl this year knowing that New Orleans should rightfully be there and will not be because of one of the biggest officiating blunders in NFL Playoff history? “Blunder” doesn’t even begin to cover what happened at the end of that Rams/Saints game. My God a rookie high school football ref would have called P.I. on that play. The Saints would have then bled the clock on three kneel downs and kicked the game winning chip shot field goal and earned a trip to the Super Bowl against the Patriots. I’m sorry, I’m out of out of there this year. This year’s Super Bowl is a total fraud imho. And yeah, I know there is the possibility that that Saints may have missed the chip shot field goal; possible sure, anything is “possible,” but highly, highly unlikely in this scenario. Super Bowl my rear end. Bogus Bowl, yeah.
Ouch! That’s gonna kill their bottom line.

Ah, well... How’s that saying go? “You can’t please all the whiners all the time.”

Maybe it’ll be a nice day, and you can enjoy being outdoors. I’m planning on a mountain bike ride with my son. Maybe it’ll be really sloppy, and we’ll get cold and muddy like they used to in the good ol’ days of football playoffs. Yeah, I’ll whine too. Football on artificial turf? That sucks. Domes? Seriously?

George
Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Can I have the beer, nachos, hot wings, and and tequila shots that would have been yours?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Can I have the beer, nachos, hot wings, and and tequila shots that would have been yours?
Honestly, that's all I've ever cared about with the Superb Owl!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post

My sentiments exactly.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringpickin View Post
The Rams simply don’t belong in the Super Bowl this year. I am not a fan of either the Saints or Rams, but that PI call was a complete hack. I saw plenty of other calls missed, but most of them were in the trenches and not on a wide open sideline with onl6 2 players and 2 refs watching.

Just free’d up the super bowl day for me.
Not to mention the game being on the line at the time of the missed or ignored non call. Folks can say all they want about previous calls in the game that could have been called either way or missed completely as this PI infraction was. But the fact remains the game was on the line at the time of this incident and to me that makes a huge difference. As you so aptly put it 6string, frees up the day for me as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic