The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

View Poll Results: Which top would you pair with the koa back?
Bearclaw moon spruce 8 53.33%
Straight grain moon spruce 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2019, 05:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Spohn Guitars builds for BGS tour

While my current batch gets finished, it is time to start something new. Three of my guitars will be part of the Boutique Guitar Showcase tour this year but haven't built yet.
So it's time to start with the first guitar for the Eastern USA tour.

For now I have some pics of the materials for you!

For the back I chose this spectacular set of figured koa.

And some inlay ideas and material...

But I need your help to select the top wood as I can't decide which one I like better.

The first one is this nice Bearclaw Swiss moon spruce that looks almost as it is flamed. And the figure will pop under some lacquer.

The second set is some straight Swiss moon spruce.

Both tops are hand selected, lightweight and stiff and will make a wonderful guitar.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:41 PM

That's not an easy choice!

It's like when you want some chocolate and your choices are a bar of chocolate and a slightly shinier bar of chocolate.
I went for the bearclaw.

David
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

While the koa set has some very nice flame it does not have the wild figure that one might find in a set of cocobolo for example. So my vote is for bearclaw to get a bit of extra figure in the topwood. But either way, it'll look good!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:17 AM

It's tough to make the argument as to why, but my preference would be the straight grained Spruce.

What will the binding be?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I'm with Geoff. Can't explain exactly why but I would go with the straight grain. Maybe just personal preference. And you are right that Koa is spectacular.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
That's not an easy choice!

It's like when you want some chocolate and your choices are a bar of chocolate and a slightly shinier bar of chocolate.
I went for the bearclaw.

David
Thanks for voting. I have exactly the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
While the koa set has some very nice flame it does not have the wild figure that one might find in a set of cocobolo for example. So my vote is for bearclaw to get a bit of extra figure in the topwood. But either way, it'll look good!
The top that will not go on this guitar will probably go an a cocobolo OM later this year which makes the decision even harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
It's tough to make the argument as to why, but my preference would be the straight grained Spruce.

What will the binding be?
The binding will be Rocklite ebano as will the fretboard and bridge. And we will have a segmented backstrip. I will release some more features soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I'm with Geoff. Can't explain exactly why but I would go with the straight grain. Maybe just personal preference. And you are right that Koa is spectacular.
Thank you Dennis! And the sides are equally figured. I currently try to get some matching headstock veneers but it appears to be more difficult than expected as this tree was imported to Germany in the mid 90s.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

On this guitar I started with the segmented backstrip. Here are a few pictures that show a little bit of the process. I do all my inlay work by hand without a CNC machine.

After designing the inlay (which took me almost two days as I just couldn't decide what compliments the wood best) I route the channel for it.

The next step is to square out the corners. I use chisels and scalpels for this job.

Then the inlay gets fit and glued in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop